built-in player wont output 5.1 :( (1 Viewer)

lanceuppercu

Portal Pro
January 13, 2008
London
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0
MediaPortal Skin: bluetwo wide
Windows Version: XP SP2
CPU Type: C2D e4500
HDD: 500gb WD AAKS
Memory: 2gb
Video Card: Gigabyte 2400pro PCI-E (passive)
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 7.12
Sound Card: Soundblaster X-FI (PCI-E)
HTPC Case: Dell Vostro 200
TV: Samsung 40" LE40R51B
TV - HTPC Connection: VGA

i'm having a problem with the built-in player not being able to output 5.1 via SPDIF despite the configuration is set to use ac3filter which handles all my audio needs, my av receiver (yamaha vx-450) displays the signal its getting as just L,R.

however, i have no problem setting MPC (also set to use ac3filter) up as an external program to play the same file and my amp recognises that its getting a signal for L,R,C,SL,SR,LFE as it should but would like to use the built in player if possible.

any suggestions? thanks!

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    AC3Filter has configurable options..look up the config and click *use SPDIF*

the MPA audio codec can also be used ...change the settings for that in the MP config app

lanceuppercu

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2008
    London
    its already set to use SPDIF, as originally posted, MPC opened from within MP uses ac3filter and correctly outputs to all 5 speakers.

i found this thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/enabling_5_1_through_spdif-t4710.html which is the same problem as i'm having, theres a screenshot under post #7 showing MPA under directshow filters, but i dont have that option on mine.

edit: never mind, found MPA/MPV now, turns out i deselected them when i originally installed as i had intended to use ac3filter!

edit2: same thing happens with MPA, outputs as 2.0 when opening using MPC from within MP outputs as 5.1, MPA configured to use SPDIF.

help!

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Are you sure FFDshow's Audio filter isn't opening in the system tray? Filters will open based on your selection UNLESS they don't support the format -- then the merit will open another one. MPA and MPV are a real bad thing as they install with a REALLY high merit which tends to steamroll your system. Lower their merit to below middle and see if that helps to ALLOW the AC3Filter to run as it should.

lanceuppercu

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2008
    London
    aha cracked it!

ac3filter was loading in the tray, under the "main" tab, i always had the "output format" set to "3/2+SW", changed it to "AS IS (no change)" and it works, yay!

edit: its gone back to 2.0 again. what the heck is going on!

edit2: oddly, if i use MP in windowed mode, i can open ac3filter and can confirm that there are green bars on both input and output levels for all 5 channels. yet it will only play out of/send a signal to the left and right speakers and i wont get anything out of the center channel (ie voice).

edit3: no ffdshow icon in systray so its not loading ffdshow audio..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom