Bumfuzzled Newbie (1 Viewer)

spachti

Portal Pro
July 27, 2005
Bible Belt
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Thank you for trying to help me. Yes, I am trying to output Dish on coax to card. And yes, I tried your suggestion to begin with. Yes, you can change the output channel on the Dish receiver but you cannot change it to any channel below 73 which just puts us back to square one. The thing I don't understand is, if the tv and VCR tuners are capable of receiving channels up to 125 or so, why can't these tuner cards, PVR software etc. do the same? I have tried installing additional codecs, this that and the other but still no luck with MP. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion. Will keep trying.[DOUBLEPOST=1349499221][/DOUBLEPOST]I might add that I can get Win Media Center to work by running the coax thru a VCR, tuning the VCR to channel 73 while the VCR outputs by default on channel 3. But I can't get MP to work even by doing that. I know I'm probably missing something simple here but so far have not been able to figure it out.

Even though it's not your real problem, did you change the output in that menu from cable to air? Or just tell me the model of your stb.

wefromo

September 30, 2012
Home Country
Hey Spachti, Dish HD receiver VIP222k. Yes, I tried initially switching from cable to air but apparently that only has to do with the antenna feedin to the receiver because I would get no output from the Dish receiver with that selection. I am wondering if MythTV would work for me? I tried Npvr and have not as yet been successful in getting it to work either. Thanks for your interest.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again wefromo

Hey Spachti, Dish HD receiver VIP222k. Yes, I tried initially switching from cable to air but apparently that only has to do with the antenna feedin to the receiver because I would get no output from the Dish receiver with that selection.
    Scanning is pointless unless you have a software encoder installed.

I am wondering if MythTV would work for me?
    Possibly.

I tried Npvr and have not as yet been successful in getting it to work either.
    The same limitation applies to whatever software you use under Windows - you need software encoders.
    It is not just MP being difficult. ;)

Did you try installing WinDVR as I suggested?

wefromo

September 30, 2012
    Home Country
    Well no, I didn't because you indicated it was only a temporary fix and I'm would prefer a more lasting one. I did do a little research on it but couldn't really determine if it was going to be usable over the longer period or which version would be best. I noted that some seemed to suggest the earlier versions better for some reason than the later ones, etc.

As far as tuners go, I chose the Avermedia Hybrid Volar Max because I did quite a lot of research on various tuners and this one seemed to get the higher user ratings than the others but maybe I chose the wrong one since finding the workable encoders seem to be such a problem. If it would solve my problem I would definitely consider purchasing a different tuner.

wefromo

September 30, 2012
    Home Country
    Hey Spachti, Dish HD receiver VIP222k. Yes, I tried initially switching from cable to air but apparently that only has to do with the antenna feedin to the receiver because I would get no output from the Dish receiver with that selection.
    Scanning is pointless unless you have a software encoder installed.

What I meant was, there seems to be no signal output from the Dish receiver even to a regular TV when "Air" is selected unless you have antenna feed in to the receiver.[DOUBLEPOST=1349656036][/DOUBLEPOST]BTW, I did copy the ATI/AMD codec package into the MP program folder. I did not see any installation procedure. Did I miss something?

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    Hey Spachti, Dish HD receiver VIP222k. Yes, I tried initially switching from cable to air but apparently that only has to do with the antenna feedin to the receiver because I would get no output from the Dish receiver with that selection. I am wondering if MythTV would work for me? I tried Npvr and have not as yet been successful in getting it to work either. Thanks for your interest.

Sorry to correct you again.
    The modulation doesn't have anything to do with the input signal. If you change the channel from cable to air it will give you the channels between 2 and 69. You must have been in the wrong menu. Go back to page one and check again. I also have a 211k as well as the 222 receiver.[DOUBLEPOST=1349711073][/DOUBLEPOST]

Sorry to correct you again.
    The modulation doesn't have anything to do with the input signal. If you change the channel from cable to air it will give you the channels between 2 and 69. You must have been in the wrong menu. Go back to page one and check again. I also have a 211k as well as the 222 receiver.

Ok, now i have to correct myself:rolleyes: because the steps i described on page one are from the 222. On the 211k you ONLY have channel 3 or 4 in the RF output from the modulation. Just make sure you ARE in the modulator section.

Last edited:

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    Dammit,
    now i'm confused too. In the 222 you have TWO output options, one for the tuner 1 HD, and another one for tuner 2 SD. Make sure you're using the right tuner for your output. On my 222 those outputs are set to 26 and 32, so i KNOW it works.

From the Manual:

Connecting to the Remote TVs (TV1 or TV2)

With the Modulator Setup screen displayed on the nearby TV, use Remote Control 1 to do
    the following:
    Under TV2 Out (or TV1 Out), select either Air (air channel numbers) or Cable (for
    cable channel numbers) based on what you wrote down in step 5.
    Under TV2 Out (or TV1 Out), use the UP and DOWN ARROWS to change the
    modulator channel to the one you wrote in step 5.
    Select Done.
    Note
    : For TV1 OUT, if you locked the receiver, a message will display asking you to
    enter your password.
    For some TVs, you must run a channel scan so that the TVs will find and display the
    selected channel from the receiver. Run the channel scan on all remote TV(s), if available.

See your TV user’s guide for instructions.
    Confirm that you see a picture from the receiver on your remote TV(s).

If your picture looks good, go to step 23.

If your TVs do not have a picture or if it is not as clear as you would like it to be, go to
    the next step.
    You may need to change the cable connection on the splitter that sends the TV signal
    throughout your house. The change that needs to be made is to reconnect the cable

coming from the receiver

HOME DISTRIBUTION from the output of the splitter to the input of
    the splitter using the instructions that follow.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

Sorry for the delayed response - for some reason I haven't been getting emails for this thread.

BTW, I did copy the ATI/AMD codec package into the MP program folder. I did not see any installation procedure. Did I miss something?
    Copying to the MP program folder does not install them.
    Encoders need to be registered with the operating system in order for MP (or any other program) to be able to recognise them.
    If using the AMD/ATI codec, the relevant files are atixcode.dll and atienc.dll.
    You can register them as follows:

1. Click start button, type cmd, then press [enter/return] while holding down [ctrl] and [shift].
    2. Change directory to the location of the DLLs. For example, (type) cd "c:\Program Files\Common Files\ATI Technologies\Multimedia\" then press [enter/return].
    3. Type regsvr32 atienc.dll then press [enter/return].

That registers atienc.dll.
    Note: you should not move the DLL to a different folder after doing this. If you do need to move it for whatever reason, you should first unregister it (regsvr32 /u atienc.dll) and then re-register it at the new location.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom