Buying the right TV-card (dual tuner or 2 separate cards?) (1 Viewer)

mh99hojo

November 17, 2005
Gothenburg, Sweden
Hello!

I have three questions before I decide what TV-card to buy:

1) Are there any advantages/disadvantages to having two separe cards rather than one with dual tuners if you want to be able to watch and record at the same time?

2) Does having a card with hardware MPEG2-encoder mean that you can build your HTPC around a much "weaker" CPU and VGA card (i.e. does a card without encoder require a lot of CPU time to encode whatever you are recording - and can you at all use timeshift if the card doesn't have build in encoder?)

3) In a year or two the broadcast where I live will change from analog to digital. Are capture card for only one or the other, or are there cards that will accept both type of signals?

Thanks!

NormM

August 21, 2005
1. Can save space if you're low on PCI slots, also two seperate cards may not be compatible with each other.

2. Yes, a card with HW decoder will take load off the CPU. Not sure about time-shifting.

3. Yes you can get hybrid analogue/digital TV cards. Compro make a nice one (Compro Videomate DVB-T300).

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Country flag
    2) From 0.2 you will need a card with a hardware encoder as the SW support was dropped. Pre 0.2, no you cant use timeshift with a software card.

3) Hybrid yes, but look at a Hauppauge HVR-1300 or something. Those compro's have a software analogue card which as said above wont function anymore. Only downside to the hauppauge card is both sections cant be used at the sametime, so for now seperate cards are superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

don't worry, if win7 64bit, it will be compatible W10. i have old hauppauge done for win XP :whistle:
    don't worry, if win7 64bit, it will be compatible W10. i have old hauppauge done for win XP :whistle:
    Hi everyone! I found a good deal for a new-in-box (NOS) Hauppage Wintv HVR-5525 TV Tuner card and I'm considering buying it even...
    Replies
    Views
    I don't think that it is clear that you need to upgrade :eek:. I used WMC for six years, and have been using MP1 for another six years. I migrated from WMC to MP because it offered more of what I wanted, and less of what I didn't want. But if you are comfortable with WMC, the obvious choice is to stay with WMC on Windows 7. The...
    I don't think that it is clear that you need to upgrade :eek:. I used WMC for six years, and have been using MP1 for another six...
    I have been 15 years with WMC in Windows 7 but clearly need to upgrade. I believe that MP might meet my needs. Before I invest a...
    Replies
    Views
    Having used MP1 since 15 years, these epg related problems occuring after a fresh install stumble me. Needed to change a system hdd and decided it was time for a clean install anyway. Other hardware (C2D, 8 Gb ram, no tv cards - IP only) unchanged. Was running an earlier Win10 version with MP 1.24 which had been updated for years...
    Having used MP1 since 15 years, these epg related problems occuring after a fresh install stumble me. Needed to change a system...
    Having used MP1 since 15 years, these epg related problems occuring after a fresh install stumble me. Needed to change a system...
    Replies
    Views
    Thank you for performing this test, and confirming @joecrow 's suspicion as to the cause of the problem. In principle the same problem exists with other EPG sources, such as the broadcast EPG that I use with DVB-T/T2. When a programme first appears in the EPG (7 days ahead of its broadcast time), some programmes have a generic...
    Thank you for performing this test, and confirming @joecrow 's suspicion as to the cause of the problem. In principle the same...
    TV Server 1.25. Windows 10. This has been an issue for many years, if not since inception, and I hoped it would be resolved...
    Replies
    Views
    That 's what I see. I've retired from software development in favour of getting a 1910 gaff cutter back sailing, and as that development was in DataFlex I doubt that it's relevant to MP development.
    That 's what I see. I've retired from software development in favour of getting a 1910 gaff cutter back sailing, and as that...
    The setting up of scheduled recordings seems to be the weakest part of MP2 - in fact I'd go as far as to say one aspect of it is a...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom