Bypass OS Unsupported Platform check on Server 2008 R2 (1 Viewer)

fitzy75

Portal Member
January 20, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all

I realise that this will not be officially supported but after reading so many reports of people that have got it to work, I'm really hoping that someone will be able to help me with this.

Iv'e been on Google all day and read probably every thread on the MP forums related to this but I can't seem to get it going.

I've got Windows Server 2008 R2 (all updates installed) which I want to use as a TV server only, it makes sense to keep all my movies and tv shows as well as everything else on one box to lower the energy bills. I'm running a dual core AMD 2.8 chip with 8GB ram and a Pinnacle 7010ix tuner.

I will be using XBMC clients so I've installed MP TV Server 1.4 as I've read this is the most stable/compatible with XBMC but I can't get into the configuration at all without the "Unsupported Platform" error message.

I've installed the BDA fix and I can successfully tune and watch channels with DVBViewer so I know the card is both installed correctly and working under this OS, but when trying to open MP TV Configuration I cannot get past the unsupported platform message. Many other threads on these forums say that the config screen opens anyway and the message can be ignored, but in my case the config screen does not open at all after clicking OK on the error. Can anyone suggest a way that I can bypass the OS check or gain access to the configuration some other way?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello fi5zy75

FYI, that "unsupported" message means we don't provide support. In other words, we don't make any official commitment to respond to threads like this, and such threads should be posted outside our "support" or "bug report" sections.

If everything was working correctly then you should be able to click OK and TV Server configuration should open. The fact that it doesn't indicates something is wrong... like maybe the TV service is not running.

You can't bypass the OS check. Even if you could, it wouldn't help you.

Please post your TV Server log files if you want further assistance.

mm

fitzy75

Portal Member
    January 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Hi mm, thanks for your quick response, I think you helped me with a few things in the past too :)

Sorry for posting in the wrong area, feel free to move the thread to somewhere more appropriate if you like, and I appreciate your offer to help even though it's unsupported.

The TV Service was running at the time, I tried stopping it and letting the config start it by itself which didn't seem to help. I've had a look at the log files and I can't see any issues there, I have attached them for you to have a look at. These are the most recent logs from my last attempt to open it, there are older ones as well but they all appear the same.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No problem :)
    I don't see anything obviously wrong there. So there are no other logs in that folder? In particular, no error logs?

This in both the TVService logs is kinda interesting:
    [2013-12-19 00:36:07,725] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: started at STORAGE
    [2013-12-19 00:36:07,726] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: local ip address:127.0.0.1
    [2013-12-19 00:36:07,803] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: server running on STORAGE

I presume your server is connected to a network of some kind. Can you please describe it. For example, is it wired or wireless. IPv6 or IPv4.
    It would help if you could post the output of ipconfig.

And this...
    [2013-12-19 00:36:04,053] [Log ] [SetupTv ] [INFO ] - ---- check if tvservice is running ----
    [2013-12-19 00:36:04,054] [Log ] [SetupTv ] [INFO ] - ---- tvservice is not running ----
    [2013-12-19 00:36:05,636] [Log ] [SetupTv ] [INFO ] - ---- start tvservice----

Maybe that was from when you stopped the service though. I would recommend to try stopping the service again and use task manager to make sure that the TVService.exe and SetupTv.exe processes really have gone before you try starting TV Server configuration again.

I note that TV Server configuration does take 5 seconds or so to show on my machine after clicking OK (I run XP which is now "unsupported").

mm

fitzy75

Portal Member
    January 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks, it's connected to a wired connection. I only use IPv4 but IPv6 is enabled and when RDP-ing to the server from a windows 7 machine it seems to use IPv6 instead. The reason for that IP is I had to bind the servers own name to localhost 127.0.0.1 to get the MySQL to connect in MP setup, I used a database on an existing MySQL (5.6) software I already had installed for other purposes. The machine has a static IP on the network set to 192.168.1.1.

I'll do some more troubleshooting later but it appears SetupTV.exe is terminating for some reason directly after starting tvservice.exe (or checking if it is already running), the error logs files were completely empty so I had not included those. I'll also run a chkdisk to make sure permissions on system files aren't an issue or something else peculiar like that

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The reason for that IP is I had to bind the servers own name to localhost 127.0.0.1 to get the MySQL to connect in MP setup, I used a database on an existing MySQL (5.6) software I already had installed for other purposes.
    That is probably the problem. If you were wanting to enable TV Server to be used from other PCs then best way to do it is to configure MySQL properly. In other words, if you've configured MP to use the MySQL root user then configure MySQL to allow root to connect from PCs other than localhost; otherwise, create a MySQL user for MP and ensure that user is allowed to connect from any PC. This can all be configured from within MySQL Workbench:

upload_2013-12-19_21-11-21.png

Note the "user" and "from host" columns.

I'll do some more troubleshooting later but it appears SetupTV.exe is terminating for some reason directly after starting tvservice.exe (or checking if it is already running)...
    In that case, check the Windows event logs for crashes. Primarily the application event log.

...the error logs files were completely empty so I had not included those.
    Okay.

Attachments

• upload_2013-12-19_21-11-0.png
      upload_2013-12-19_21-11-0.png
      39.8 KB

fitzy75

Portal Member
    January 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Hi again and sorry for the slow reply. Sadly I have deemed this to not be worth battling with any longer, I couldn't find any related errors in the event log and after many days of trying all sorts to get it going I've decided to give up so as not to waste any more of your time, as it is officially unsupported it's only fair that I don't bother you trying to make it work :)

I had trouble with a few apps actually, which I guess is to be expected when trying to run a tuner on a server OS. All the apps that installed ok detected the tuners ok but did not pick up any channels when scanning. I did find one competing product which I've had some success with though, I don't know if I'm allowed to post details of it or not so I won't for now but I was able to successfully install, scan for channels and grab an EPG which is great so far, now I'm just trying to work out some bugs getting the XBMC clients connected to it.

You can close this topic now if you wish, thanks @mm1352000 for your efforts to try and help me, you've worked wonders on any issues I've had in the past and I'm greatful that you attempted this one.

CHBMB

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 28, 2010
    Home Country
    I'd be interested to know what competing product you went with as I'm in a similar position myself with WHS 2011.

Cheers

fitzy75

Portal Member
    January 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Hi @CHBMB I have sent you a message with details

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom