cable card question (1 Viewer)

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
February 3, 2009
I have read many things about cable card tuners, mainly that they come in pre-configured machines and that supposedly an external usb tuner was going to be made. Well I have found a few sites that sell the usb unit which is weird because I thought they had never hit the market.

Anyways, should these tuners that the sites sell be the real deal, would media portal be able to support such a tuner?

Edit: I was searching around and saw that there is a discussion over at the green button forums on the ATI Digital Cable Tuner. I have downloaded a OCCUR checker and it verifies that my motherboard is OCCUR compliant. This means that it will work with a cable card tv tuner. I was extremely interested now knowing that my motherboard is compliant as many aren't. This is all ofcourse for an internal tuner, I am not sure what the difference is with the external unit. Anyways, I read on and found out that you will also need a PID key which you cannot just buy but must acquire from someone who already has a cable card tuner. This may prove to be very difficult. Either way, external or internal, I do hope that I can find a cable card solution for my pc.

MysticWhiteDragon

January 21, 2006
Your motherboard may not work even though it passed the OCUR check. A lot of motherboards have the OSFR table in the BIOS but do not populate it so the table is then useless for Digital Cable.

As of right now all the following criteria must be met:

1) BIOS must contain OSFR table (this means your BIOS is OCUR compliant).
2) OSFR table must be populated correctly (this means your BIOS is Digital Cable Ready)
3) Windows Vista or Windows 7 that supports Digital Cable
4) PID for Digital Cable to activate.
5) CableCard for every tuner connected to PC

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
February 3, 2009
Thanks for the reply,

Since I wrote this I have successfully added my tuner into two of my computers. First was ocur compliant out of the box, second was not. Populated the table and I was good to go.

Used generic PID as well, several times.

I am still hoping someone will take interest and make this card capable to work with mediaportal. I think that it isn't even seen in tv server config because it is listed as a network device, which is normal.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Sorry, for pulling up an old post here, but does Cable Card work with Mediaportal?

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
    February 3, 2009
    Hello,

I had requested a few times for support. This card as far as I know is not supported.

However, I am somewhat hopeful that when the Ceton cable card tuners are more popular that those will be supported. I am sure that everyone in America who builds a HTPC will have one installed as it is the best option for us here.

Also I believe they discontinued the ATI Cable Card tuner that I have. So I am assuming that it will never be supported unfortunately.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Thanks it was actually the Ceton Cable that got me thinking about this. It must be perfect for Mediaportal.

No Limit

Portal Member
    March 7, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I wanted to bump this. If I could get rid of my comcast cable DVR I could save a huge chunk of change each month. Not to mention their DVR is crap anyway. How good is cablecard support in mediaportal (or is it even supported)?

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
    February 3, 2009
    As far as I know it is not supported.

I have the ATI dct card and love it. It is every bit as good as any cable box in terms of quality of picture. I would love it if mediaportal supported this card but it is unlikely, but I do hope they support the Ceton tuner.

Only problem with that card is that price...only one available now is 400$...probably would be awhile before you saw savings from cable boxes with that card lol

I would suggest waiting awhile though. More manufacturers are said to be developing Ceton tv tuners so the prices will drop...also more hd streams per card...

Check out this link to see how it performs as a dvr
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/05/tivo-premiere-vs-windows-7-media-center/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom