CableCARD tuner support for MediaPortal 1 (3 Viewers)

GoodFun

April 22, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
mm, I've been following this thread with excitement for a while now and as a fellow programmer, you never have to apologize for something taking longer or being harder than anticipated. We all appreciate the hard work you put into this and as media cowboy said, we rather have it done right than quick.

Thank you very much for pushing this feature forward. I know I for one will love being able to use my Ceton with Media Portal.

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
December 8, 2004
North America
Home Country
Hey man, everyone here appreciates the work you are doing. Don't even worry about it taking longer than expected. Quality is what is important anyway, not speed of delivery! :)

If you have issues with the table parsing let me know. I have some experience there.

Relax a little, have a beer ... or maybe even two! :)

Last edited:

Abjex

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 26, 2013
    Home Country
    Yes, I agree with what everyone else said. Take your time, go outside for a walk. Especially since the weather is starting to get better.
    I appreciate what everyone is doing to get this to work, i even donated to MP. not just because its amazing but because i fully support open source.
    Not to get off-topic but I have some questions for some if not all of you, hope you don't mind. I have a huge bluray collection and I want to share it with the whole house, even my neighbors. My house is about 130 feet from them and they can see my wifi at about 3 bars, which is kinda cool. But sharing with them is my last concern, I have my server pc all built and i've been contemplating which OS to use, I had hoped to use esxi and run windows server and a flavor of linux but that seems like a pipe dream with having this god forsaken cc tuner. It really looks like i will be using windows 7, which is fine by me, once this server is going, i plan to let it do its job and leave it alone lol. My main question is, have any of you tried running esxi or similar virtual scenario, windows and linux at once with a tuner card? if so, was it buggy? This server i have built consists of my year old i5-2500k in a asus p8z77-v deluxe with 16gb ram, reason i chose that board is it's basically like a low end workstation board with dual gigabit nic's, one being intel that supports teaming which is alot of fun. Also if im stuck with windows 7, will it atleast be 64bit or does that not work with the cablecard tuner. I have this server built but she has no OS yet, since i have been waiting and reading on what os to use, I got a free copy of server 2012 but it seems i cant use it which makes me want to cry because i tried it in a vm and it looks soo pretty. I was also thinking about buying WHS 2011 but like i said, This server needs to network share the infinitv4 and the 12tb of raid storage to my network. Also there is windows essentials, id be willing to get that if it worked with the tuner. I'm also wondering if i should cut my loses and buy a cheap i3 or celeron and put the tuner in another pc that way i can use a server os and not have to worry about tuner compatibility, or use linux as the fileserver and windows for the other stuff. You may be wondering why i want win server soo bad, I'm a web designer so i want a local test bed that i can use and i like to tinker around with stuff on pc's so this is half fun half work. Again, sorry if this topic went off. I just want to get this file server going asap and i think with some help from everyone on idea's, it will happen faster. And again, thanks for all your hard work and innovation!

Abjex

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 26, 2013
    Home Country
    Thanks alot for that, Originally i was going to use hyper v but i read everywhere that the ceton card would not work. I will get that installed tomorrow, this also will let me run centos or ubuntu along with it. maybe i should install 3 extra nic's along with the 2 onboard. I am really glad i found media portal and this thread. I will let you know how it goes, Thanks again.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Heya everyone

Quick question...
    Earlier in the thread I recall a few people mentioning they wanted some way to share channels that are in-the-clear (not encrypted) between both CableCARD and other QAM tuners.
    @twemperor
    Was it you that mentioned that?

At the time I think I said that would not be possible. Now with a little more knowledge I think it could be doable if switched digital video (SDV) and tuning adaptors (TA) are not involved.

So how many people would be interested in having support for that and could test it?
    mm

Tsaukpaetra

Portal Member
    February 18, 2013
    Home Country
    So how many people would be interested in having support for that and could test it?
    mm
    I'm not sure what this would mean, but I'm interested in testing things. ;) Currently I'm using an analog ATI TV All In Wonder (Not technically compatible since Windows 7, but works just fine. ;) ) with my Ceton PCI-E card. What I think you mean by this is that we wouldn't need to have separate listings for identical channels present on two cards (like mapping I think?).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What I think you mean by this is that we wouldn't need to have separate listings for identical channels present on two cards (like mapping I think?).
    Yeah, sort of.

Lets have an example to clarify...

Say you have a Ceton InfiniTV 4, and you also have an older clear QAM tuner such as a Hauppauge HVR-2250.

Both the Ceton (CableCARD) and Hauppauge (clear QAM) cards have 64 and 256 QAM tuner/demodulators... which means that physically they can tune the same channels. This means that both cards should be able to tune clear QAM channels. Of cource, the big difference is that the CableCARD capacity enables the InfiniTV to decrypt channels; the HVR-2250 simply can't do that.

With the current patch, if you scan in your channels with an InfiniTV tuner you won't be able to use them with the Hauppauge tuner. Not even the in-the-clear (unencrypted) channels which the Hauppauge card should work with.
    Same applies in the other direction: scan for channels with the Hauppauge tuner and you won't be able to use them with the InfiniTV tuner.

What I'm proposing to try and support: scanning for channels with the InfiniTV tuner creates channels that both the InfiniTV and Hauppauge tuners can use (just have to map/link the channels as usual).

Note that I'm not able to support scanning channels with the Hauppauge that can be used with both the Hauppauge and InfiniTV due to limitations in the info that a clear QAM tuner can receive (as compared with a CableCARD tuner).

Hope that makes a bit more sense?

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    mm, mikinho said that the dev system he put up has a TA on it with COX Cable

bobert24

Portal Member
    April 5, 2013
    Home Country
    I don't want this to come across wrong, so please don't take it the wrong way. mm, with your last couple posts about sharing channels between tuners, I have to ask - does that mean things aren't going too well with 64-bit cablecard support? It kind of sounds like development is moving in a slightly different direction. Or is this just something that you came across while working on that 64-bit support, and it just kind of fit into the flow of development?

Either way, thanks for your continued development of any kind - I'm sure you have a thousand other things you could be doing instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom