CableCARD tuner support for MediaPortal 1 | Page 32

Discussion in 'Area 51 - Testing Area' started by mm1352000, September 18, 2012.

1. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,221 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello everyone

First a quick progress update.
    I am and have been ready to release for two weeks or more now. The holdup is that we're waiting for Silicondust to release their next beta or stable firmware which will fix an important compatibility issue. So things are a bit out of my control...

Yes and no. Yes tuners are generally tested and optimised with WMC. They may also be designed for WMC. However MP generally uses the same frameworks and interfaces as WMC, so you can usually expect there to be minimal if any difference in performance and compatibility between WMC and MP.

In terms of tuning speed... I think you'd have to try it to get absolute confirmation. In the case of CableCARD the fact that MP uses UPnP/DRI directly rather than PBDA could actually mean we have faster tuning than WMC. I can't think of any specific reason that we'd be slower. Some people are very sensitive to tuning speed so please take my words as a general comment rather than a guarantee. I've used WMC for all of about 10 minutes and have been testing CableCARD tuning via RDP and TeamViewer in VMs. Also I'm not exactly unbiased! :D

mm

• Like Like x 3
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mediacowboy

mediacowboy Portal Pro

Support Technician
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Show System Specs
    Will the new update be 64 bit compatible?

4. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +8,221 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes.

5. mediacowboy

mediacowboy Portal Pro

Support Technician
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Nice. Thank you so much for all your hard work mm. I am using your current patch and loving it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sigpi007

Sigpi007 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Sweet. @mm... Happy to offer assistance further testing of the update as it applies to the Ceton hardware (since all you're waiting on is related to Silcondust).

7. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +8,221 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Patch is finally released! See the first post... :D

Key points/changes:
    1. All OS releases supported by MediaPortal should work, including 64 bit releases and even XP.
    2. People using the existing patches should delete all channels and rescan. Sorry, no way to avoid it.
    3. People running the HDHomeRun PRIME must install the latest beta firmware.
    4. CableCARD and clear QAM tuners are able to share channels. Simply scan with the CableCARD tuner and link/map the channels to the clear QAM tuner.
    5. Switched digital video (SDV) with tuning adaptors (TA) should work.
    6. Using a CableCARD tuner without a CableCARD is not currently supported. If you want/need support for this please post and I'll see if I can work through it.
    7. The code for scanning with regular ATSC and clear QAM tuners has been completely rewritten as well so there are benefits even if you don't have a CableCARD tuner. Please test. :)
    Finally... I've never done this before but this patch has required an unprecedented amount of work. I'd really appreciate it if you'd consider making a [small] donation to the team if you appreciate my work. Please don't feel any obligation. I'd be just as happy if you try the patch and provide feedback. :)

Thanks everyone! :)

• Like Like x 4
  8. megahorst
    • Super User

megahorst Super User

Ratings:
    +272 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    I do have problems with scanning DVB-C channels on lower frequencies (113Mhz, 121MHz) I was not able to solve them until now. My TV-set works fine with these frequencies and the same antenna plug. Is it possible that your rework will solve this issue?

9. FreakyJ
    • Team MediaPortal

FreakyJ Development Group

Ratings:
    +1,424 / 1
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    This rework is about cableCard tuners, these are basically network tuners, so no changes for DVB-C ;)

Maybe you should check your in-house cabeling, I had a weak signal on my antenna plug. My Tv worked fine, but my DVB-C cards didn't like that :)

10. megahorst
    • Super User

megahorst Super User

Ratings:
    +272 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Thx mm's comment about benefits for other QUAM tuners let me hope ...

11. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +8,221 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    As FreakyJ said, this patch won't help you... but you're still welcome to to test to ensure I haven't broken DVB-C scanning (I don't have a DVB-C tuner).
    I recommend to make sure you're scanning with the correct settings. Sometimes increasing or decreasing the frequency a little bit can help...

• Like Like x 1

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!