CableCARD tuner support for MediaPortal 1 (3 Viewers)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello bc0508

First, big thanks for your help! (y)
    I'm not sure what to think about what I see in your log files... so I'll talk you through what I'm thinking.

I know that Silicondust have implemented a BDA wrapper for the Prime which allows applications like MP to tune clear QAM digital cable channels without too much effort. Thats a technical way of saying that they did everything in their power to make the Prime compatible with existing software. Indeed, MP can already use the Prime for receiving clear QAM digital cable, just like it can with the non-CableCARD HDHomeRun.
    (Note: I don't think either Ceton or Hauppauge have enabled this function.)

So I think the tuners that you saw when you changed to "MediaPortal" in HDHomeRun Config/Setup are from the clear QAM tuner "wrapper" that Silicondust has created. We have to use completely different interface if we want to enable receiving of copy-freely encrypted digital cable.

Now in the past I have logged into somebody elses PC and looked at how the Prime presents itself to the operating system. As I recall (and my memory is getting a little fuzzy here), there were actually six Prime tuners. How does that work? Well I think the first three are from the Silicondust wrapper; the other three are the ones that we need to use for CableCARD tuning.

In the first few pages of the Ceton thread we learned that MP's TV Server was not able to see the Ceton tuners on a 64 bit operating system unless the software is running as a native 64 bit application. That is as opposed to running as a 32 bit application using WOW64.

Normally both MP and TV Server run as 32 bit WOW64 applications in order to maintain compatibility with codecs and various other things.

From all of this information, I'm deducing (read: I'm *really* ***really*** hoping!) that the reason I'm not seeing what I expected to see is because you're running a 64 bit version of Windows 7.

Could you please confirm that?

Regardless of whether I'm right or not, I've got another quick test that I'm hoping you can do. Here are the instructions:
    1. Download both versions of GraphStudio from -->here<--.
    2. Run the 64 bit version (no install required - it is just a standalone exe).
    3. In the top menu click "graph"-->"insert filter...".
    4. Up the top there are two fields. In the first field please select "BDA Source Filters", and in the second field ensure that "All Filters" is selected.
    5. Please take a screenshot of this view.
    6. Change the first field up the top to "UPnP Streaming Devices" and take another screenshot. Don't worry if "UPnP..." isn't in the list - just let me know if it isn't.
    7. Repeat steps 2 to 6 using the 32 bit version of GraphStudio.
    8. Post the 4 screenshots here.

Thanks again for your willingness to help. :)
    mm

Last edited:

bc0508

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 16, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hey MM
    I am actually got a 32 bit machine I am going to do this one first. I will update this post with the logs in a few. I will also do the other steps you are wanting me to do. I will set up another 64bit machine this weekend so I can run the test from it too. I don't to mess up my media tv server yet. Family will be upset if the shows don't record.

Thanks
    BC

bc0508

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 16, 2011
    Home Country
    Well I setup the 32 bit machine and I get this error when I try to restart the service after I copy the 2 files in mediaportal folder. Should I start over with it or go back to the 64bit machine. It ran fine with the other files.. BTW I saw 6 tuners this time.
    BC

Attachments

• screenshot.PNG
      screenshot.PNG
      32.6 KB

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    maybe you can stop everything, delete the old logs and restart the machine :)
    and try again, I'm no expert in the cablecard stuff, mm know much more there, but it looks like it couldn't connect to 172.16.0.141:31456
    Is it the IP of the hd homerun? really don't know how it works but there must be an connection error ;) firewall?

Hopefully this infos help you otherwise mm must help you :p Sorry for beeing no expert xD

bc0508

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 16, 2011
    Home Country
    That is actually the ip of the desktop I am using. It was working fine until I copied the new .exe and .dll over. I will work on it later this evening.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Heya bc0508

Don't push too hard on this at the moment - despite the error, I've got the information that I need. :)
    Those extra 3 "HDHomeRun Prime" tuners are the ones that I was looking for.
    So it seems that we're going to have problems with 64 bit OSes.
    Would there be any chance of allowing me to log in to the machine and check a few things in the registry?
    Should be a 10 minute exercise.
    Let me know via PM if you're willing and I'll supply further details.

Thanks again,
    mm
    :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom