Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (3 Viewers)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The EPG isn't available in our TV (which supports MHEG 5). I assume the problem is that MediaWorks have a problem...

mastyman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2010
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Apparently, There is no EPG data because Four+1 is currently being tested by the broadcaster in prep for its full launch alongside the satellite "Four +1" according to freeviewforum anyway

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @mm1352000 does TVE3.5 have MHEG5 EPG grabbing built in? I'm tempted to build a plugin for the custom data grabber to do this for people who want access to the EPG natively in MP. We're in the process of converting the plugin code to C# and updating the fixed byte references to events to tags similar to TVE3.5 and EPGC so I don't think it would be too hard to adapt to MHEG5 format. That would probably be of benefit in the meantime as I believe UK Freesat is also MHEG5 based too.

wlgspotter

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2006
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi peeps:

We've just moved up to Auckland, and are currently living in St Johns. I understand it is a pretty low/bad signal area, so DVB-T reception could be patchy.

We've one of the antenna installer's come out and tuned out antenna, and with our rather "old" Samsung LCD TV I'm able receive all available channels, i.e. TVNZ, MediaWorks, Kordia etc.

However, with the same antenna connected to my MediaPortal (running v1.80), I am unable to receive any signal for the Choice TV, as well we the 2 Chnese TV channels - it comes up as "no signal detected".

Speaking to the installer he had pointed the antenna at Remuera (that's the only one that works for us), and I've had one of the frequencies set as 594000 in the tuning file located in the dvbt folder. AFAIK 594khz is the same as the frequency that could be received by my TV.

Therefore, I'm just wondering, is there anything that I've missed? Is there anyone here using the Remuera transmitter who would kindly post/share your TuningParameters file?

Thanks very much.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

However, with the same antenna connected to my MediaPortal (running v1.80), I am unable to receive any signal for the Choice TV, as well we the 2 Chnese TV channels - it comes up as "no signal detected".
    It sounds like you have problems with the Kordia mux, which means you should also have trouble with Maori TV, PRIME etc.

Speaking to the installer he had pointed the antenna at Remuera (that's the only one that works for us), and I've had one of the frequencies set as 594000 in the tuning file located in the dvbt folder. AFAIK 594khz is the same as the frequency that could be received by my TV.
    If your aerial is pointed at Remuera you should use the standard NZ Auckland infill tuning details. Yes, the frequency for the Kordia mux in that file is 594 MHz.

Therefore, I'm just wondering, is there anything that I've missed? Is there anyone here using the Remuera transmitter who would kindly post/share your TuningParameters file?
    If you're using the NZ Auckland infill tuning details and still having trouble, your signal may just not be good enough. I note that just because TVs can receive the channels doesn't mean that a PC tuner card will be able to also (and vice versa).

mm

wlgspotter

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2006
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

It sounds like you have problems with the Kordia mux, which means you should also have trouble with Maori TV, PRIME etc.

Yes I do actually...

If your aerial is pointed at Remuera you should use the standard NZ Auckland infill tuning details. Yes, the frequency for the Kordia mux in that file is 594 MHz.
    Thanks for confirming that.

If you're using the NZ Auckland infill tuning details and still having trouble, your signal may just not be good enough. I note that just because TVs can receive the channels doesn't mean that a PC tuner card will be able to also (and vice versa).

mm

Thanks again for this. It does indeed seem like signal at my place is really just not good enough. Even though I said that I can get Choice TV signal on my Samsung TV, it is patchy at best, and bad pixellation does occur. Checking on the Signal Info of the channel as received on the TV, I'm only getting about 40+ (<50) % signal, so I reckon that is pretty poor. Nothing I can do about I suppose, but thanks anyway for confirming my thoughts...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Nothing I can do about I suppose
    Well, you can try a signal amplifier if the signal is weak... though an amplifier won't solve signal quality issues. In other words, if the signal is "clean" but weak then an amp should help; if the signal is "dirty" then an amp most likely won't help because it increases both the signal and the noise.

wlgspotter

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2006
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Nothing I can do about I suppose
    Well, you can try a signal amplifier if the signal is weak... though an amplifier won't solve signal quality issues. In other words, if the signal is "clean" but weak then an amp should help; if the signal is "dirty" then an amp most likely won't help because it increases both the signal and the noise.

Not sure if my signal is clean or not, but I already have an amplifier installed. In fact, it was put in but the antenna installer, so looks like that is the best that I could expect. Thanks for the help and suggestion anyway - greatly appreciated.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ahhhh, I see. Bummer.
    Yeah, if you've got an amp then short of getting the installer back to do a site survey (to find the location where the best signal quality is) and getting a high gain directional antenna installed at that location... and/or... replacing the aerial cable with fresh high grade RG-6... it sounds like you're out of luck.

On the off chance it helps, though very unlikely by the sounds of it...
    There is such a thing as signal that is too strong. If it isn't a mast-head amplifier (ie. installed as close to the aerial as possible) and you have the appropriate joiners/cable you could try temporarily removing the amp to see if it helps.

wlgspotter

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2006
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ahhhh, I see. Bummer.
    On the off chance it helps, though very unlikely by the sounds of it...
    There is such a thing as signal that is too strong. If it isn't a mast-head amplifier (ie. installed as close to the aerial as possible) and you have the appropriate joiners/cable you could try temporarily removing the amp to see if it helps.

Hmm.. That's a good point. I'll give that a go at some stage when I have some time to muck around - right now it is OK as we usually watch TV One (news and Seven Sharp and the occassional Fair Go etc) so we are good there. I don't think I'll ever need to record anything from Choice TV or the Chinese Channels so not having it not on MP isn't too big a deal.

Thanks again for your help - it really is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom