Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (3 Viewers)

AnonNZ

January 11, 2007
I know that! I was trying to be discrete by not mentioning any subject matter. The comment was ment to benifit people who are not "as holy was thou"! You could have just ignored it. One day someone would be searching the forums and come accross the comment and find it useful. No big deal.

mdsflyer

Portal Pro
November 14, 2005
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi AnonNZ, discrete by mentioning hvcplus? Its been named in the mainstream media since around 2002, hardly top secret. Did you expect no response, is it not likely that someone may have posted in the future requesting assistance on how to further use this?

I am not being "holier than thou" as you quote but rather being sensitive to the request of the developers of Mediaportal to keep this sort of thing out of the forums.

As for "no big deal" that's your belief and it's not shared by me or i believe the developers. There are plenty of NZ websites out there that you could have posted on and i would suggest you keep it there and not here.

I am fairly sure that you have no concern of the ramifications that could ensue if Mediaportal was proven to be involved with the illegal viewing of copyrighted material, if you did then you would not have posted.

How about you pull your post and your head in?

ziph

January 18, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Actually it IS legal to decode Sky's UHF signal. It is broadcast over publicly owned airwaves and Sky sell the ability to decode the signal. If you have the ability to decode that signal with your own equipment, then congratulations. This is all despite what Sky would like to have the public believe and the majority of people believe that it is illegal to do so. It is most definitely NOT ILLEGAL. The decryption of Sky Digital without paying for it IS illegal, as it is not broadcast over public airwaves.

MacboyAKL

January 22, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
guys how do i get mediaportal going ? Im in Auckland and have sky decoder, hauppuage mce pvr 150 + microsoft IR blaster, bladerunner and xmltvnz. I can seem to get the channels sorted. It locks on to tv 3 and nothing shows up when i autoscan... really wish someone could respond. has anyone got this working here in NZ. ? thanks in advance. M

thekiwi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    HI everyone

Been lurking for a while and exploring all the different HTPC software and finally decided (with a new house being built) that its MediaPortal for me.

Couple of questions if I may, or atleast guidance on best approach:

* I'm keen to do FreetoAir satellite (eg from OPTUS B1/D1). As I understand it TV3 will soon be on this satellite as well. Has anyone done DVB-S in NZ with MediaPortal? If you want to be able to view and record at the same time, what hardware would be needed. Eg with the Analogue side you obviously need two tuners, is this the same with Digital?

* Since TV3 isnt on the service at the moment, whats the best option for getting the Analogue as well as DVB-S? I was originally planning on getting a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500MCE ... but I guess just have to decide if we would record and watch at the same time, and if not, maybe just go for the 150? I see some using the Technisat Skystar 2 along with Analogue cards. Is there a Hauppauge equivalent, eg would this be OK? Hauppauge WinTV Nova S2 Digital Satellite TV Tuner (from Ascent)

* With the DVB-S you obviously need a receiver. At the moment most people seem to use a Desktop box for this, but can the PC Cards do this adequately? My preference, I think, for the former is the ability to handle encryption?

Was really chuffed to find heaps of Kiwi's using MediaPortal, so hopefully, once I get this all going, I'll be able to help as well.

Cheers

Craig

mdsflyer

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2005
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Macboy - g'day can you post the relevant section from your mediaportal log showing the error as it occurs, it would possibly help to know your system specs too.

TheKiwi - welcome to MP, good choice.

Currently on both analogue and digital for each channel you want to record or watch you will require a tuner. This can be achieved with either dual tuner or multiples of single tuner cards. I run a Hauppauge PVR 150 for analogue and a Skystar 2 for digital.

As the number of freeview channels increase shortly i'll be getting another skystar and more than likely ditching the hauppauge. The quality difference between the two systems is strongly in the favour of DVB-S in my opinion. I believe that you need a sky set top box to decode their signal, other satellite encryption can be done either via a PC card with a suitable slot or set top box.

I prefer the PC card primarily because of the neatness aspect, everything is contained in the one box and channel changing is straightforward as it is controlled directly by the pc. Again this suits my needs and may not suit everyone elses viewing requirements however I like the excuse to have to go to the pub to watch rugby! :)

thekiwi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Currently on both analogue and digital for each channel you want to record or watch you will require a tuner. This can be achieved with either dual tuner or multiples of single tuner cards. I run a Hauppauge PVR 150 for analogue and a Skystar 2 for digital.

Do you know who sells the Skystar2 online in NZ? I see there are a few on TradeMe for around $145

As the number of freeview channels increase shortly i'll be getting another skystar and more than likely ditching the hauppauge. The quality difference between the two systems is strongly in the favour of DVB-S in my opinion. I believe that you need a sky set top box to decode their signal, other satellite encryption can be done either via a PC card with a suitable slot or set top box.
    Do you know of the FTA will remain unencrypted?
    I prefer the PC card primarily because of the neatness aspect, everything is contained in the one box and channel changing is straightforward as it is controlled directly by the pc. Again this suits my needs and may not suit everyone elses viewing requirements however I like the excuse to have to go to the pub to watch rugby! :)

Sounds a good idea with the ease of changing channels. I see one tyhe PCI Cards on TRadeMe includes a remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom