Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (4 Viewers)

ashtonaut

Portal Member
October 11, 2005
Looks like we will (finally) be be getting Digital TV in NZ:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,,3701440a10,00.html

It seems from the article (I don't think the official government release is up yet) that it will be called 'Freeview', be both DVB-T and DVB-S, and will get properly underway in 2007.

There's an interesting opinion on the Freeview model here:

http://hairy.geek.nz/archives/000192.html

It will be interesting to see if Freeview ends up encrypted (yet still FTA) or not. TV1 and TV2 are currently broadcast unencrypted via DVB-S, though TVNZ don't advertise this.

Thoughts, fellow NZers?

Mutly

Portal Member
November 16, 2005
ashtonaut said:
Thoughts, fellow NZers?

He makes some interesting comments about the signal being encrypted. Any idea how this will affect building a HTPC with a DVB-s/t card? Will you need to get a DVB card with a built in card reader? Do these work with MP?

To be honest, I hope they transmit unencrypted.

ashtonaut

Portal Member
October 11, 2005
From what I understand, if they do decide to encrypt the transmission, we would need a DVB-T/S card with CI/CAM support so we could use a 'smart card' to decode the signal legally. From what I've seen MediaPortal supports this type of setup:

https://www.team-mediaportal.com/news/global/encrypted_tv-channels.html

I don't know if you can get these sorts of cards in NZ yet. I'm also hoping they don't encrypt the signal (should make for a simpler/cheaper setup).

It makes for some interesting choices if you are considering building a HTPC in NZ in the next year or so (as I am). There are cards out there that support both DVB-T and analogue combined (e.g. http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/ENG/Boards/PressRelease.aspx?act=RD&itemid=201&pg=1), so this may be a good choice, as it would allow you to watch existing broadcasts, but also be ready for the switch to DVB-T in the next couple of years. Again, no idea if you can get these locally though, or what (if any) support they have for encrypted content.

There's also the issue of rollout time. If you want to have digital TV as soon as it is available you will want a DVB-S card and a dish, as this will be implemented first, followed by the rollout of DVB-T over the following 12-18 months.

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Saw the TVNZ and TV3 bosses on Breakfast (video is on tvnz site), and as ashtonaut says, Satellite sometime in 2007 and Terretrial rolled out through 2007. Knowing absolutely nothing about digital TV, why have both technologies? I REALLY hope they don't encrypt, just another thing we'll likely get screwed over as HTPC owners.

Looks like Sky is going to HD in 2008 with HDCP protection, Sony even picked up on it. The HD DVD guys aren't even requiring HDCP, why Sky? Why must you force me to get a new TV?

ashtonaut

Portal Member
    October 11, 2005
    why have both technologies?

It seems like quite a good idea to me. The problem is, if they just go with DVB-S (satellite), then everyone that doesn't have a dish needs to get one, and the entire transmission is reliant on a single satellite. However, if they just go with DVB-T (terrestrial), then all those people in remote areas won't be able to get it.

By going with both, it means that all NZers will have access to the new digital service, and the majority of NZers living in urban areas won't need to buy a new aerial/dish. Everyone will need a STB though (apart from those of us who will try to get it working with a HTPC). Even if they encrypt we should still be able to access the broadcasts using the correct TV tuner and CAM, but it would make life a whole lot easier if they didn't...

I read the whole report into the rollout, and the gov't are saying that TV's we buy in the future with digital tuners already built in will be able to receive FreeView. Is this a hint that the service won't be encrypted? Do all TVs with digital tuners built in also have a smart-card slot for decoding encrypted content?

fraseyboy

Portal Pro
    March 12, 2006
    Yeah im from NZ as well! I'm in Christchurch though.

How do you get Digital TV? Do you just plug in a normal aerial set into a DVB Tv card or do you need some special sattelite dish or something? Sorry for the n00bnes but i wanna know :D

londonkiwi

Portal Member
    November 29, 2005
    London, England
    DVB

Good news on the digital front then. Still currently in England but will be back in Welly by end of July so will be hanging onto my DVB-T card and STB to bring home.

Why both DVB-T and S? Having worked previously for DSE and Noel Lemmings one of the biggest problems for TV installs was recepition of signal - having both options allows people to choose the cheap DVB-T option (only requires line of sight to local transmiter and UHF aerial) or better coverage of signal with DVB-S (requires that you can "see" satelite and a sat. dish). To be honest I'm not sure why NZ doesn't give up on terrestrial distribution and go with sat. as there always seems to be a hill between you and the transmitter - esp. in Wgtn LOL!

If DVB goes off like it has in the UK it will open up a whole new world of TV - lets hope the likes of TVNZ and 3 does as good a job as the BBC and co have done (to be fair the UK still has a TV licence fee of about £100 per household per year which when added up is a fair amount - but at least they don't have ads!!). Freeview here has gone from about 10 channels to about 40 plus (incl. digital radio stations) in the last 18 months. And all free! There are also a number of pay as you go channels that require a card to view.

To answer a previous question I think almost all DVB TV/STB units have a card slot incorporated in them to support payTV and encrypted channels. Lets hope NZ goes non-encrypted at least for the current crop of free to air stuff.

What do you need for DVB? Well for DVB-T (T= terrestrial, broadcast from a land based transmitter) you'll need a DVB-T STB (set-top box - about the size of a slimline DVD player if not smaller) to tune and convert the signal for your TV (any TV that can accept a video or DVD player will work) and a UHF aerial. For DVB-S (satelite transmission) you'll need a DVB-S STB and a satelite dish (the same as used for SKY). If you are wanting DVB on your PC you'll need a DVB-T or DVB-S card - the big advantage here is no (or very little) encoding required to store the data - so very low overhead for recording and timeshift and EPG (electronic program guide - think the Listener on screen)!! Disadvantage is that changing channel on DVB cards and STBs seems to take ages (couple of seconds anyway) and if the signal is not very strong the picture either freezes or breaks up rather than just a lose in quality.

Hope that helps! :D

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: DVB

londonkiwi said:
    there always seems to be a hill between you and the transmitter - esp. in Wgtn LOL!

Tell me about it! :D

Assuming you have a good signal, is there any difference in quality between -S and -T, in particular when using a UHF aerial for -T? I guess -T won't suffer from rain in the same way -S does (another consideration in Wellington 8))?

I'm only really looking at it in terms of quality, there's enough crap on TV with just 5 channels!

martyyn

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2005
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Re: DVB

Brocklander said:
    I'm only really looking at it in terms of quality, there's enough crap on TV with just 5 channels!

You mean you have found something worth watching in the first place :wink:

I think if it wasnt for the English football I could easily flag Sky and just watch what I acquire from elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom