Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (3 Viewers)

gperkinson

Portal Pro
October 28, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi StuNZ,

I also have a Nova 500-T and can confirm what you are saying about the re-initialising - it even mentions the Nova 500-T specifically in the configuration settings.

A question for you - how do you find the picture and do you get any panning or blurry trailing images sometimes? I have this forum running on my issue:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/newcomers-forum-240/stuttering-during-fast-motion-81193/

I'm wondering if it's the TV Tuner card because I have the issue more with Live TV and recordings rather than DVD's.

I have checked 1:1 picture (full screen), 50 fps, 50 Hz settings and all OK.

Keen to hear yours or anyone elses!!

Cheers

Graham

STuNZ

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi StuNZ,

I also have a Nova 500-T and can confirm what you are saying about the re-initialising - it even mentions the Nova 500-T specifically in the configuration settings.

A question for you - how do you find the picture and do you get any panning or blurry trailing images sometimes? I have this forum running on my issue:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/newcomers-forum-240/stuttering-during-fast-motion-81193/

I'm wondering if it's the TV Tuner card because I have the issue more with Live TV and recordings rather than DVD's.

I have checked 1:1 picture (full screen), 50 fps, 50 Hz settings and all OK.

Keen to hear yours or anyone elses!!

Cheers

Graham

Given that you're seeing it mainly with live and recorded TV which means mostly 1080i here in New Zealand it certainly sounds like a system contraint of some sort. I had an issue of trailing artifacts which I kept on thinking was a reception problem but a quick skip back and the issue was generally gone so I excluded reception and/or tuner as the issue.

Somewhere a read about delayed procedure call latency causing these sorts of hiccups and on testing found my system did indeed have have big spikes in in DPC latency. You can check you DPC latency with the tool found here DPC Latency Checker

Sadly I never tracked the issue down to a specific driver and ended up replacing my Asus motherboard with a Gigabyte one and the issue, and the video artifacts went away. Good news is, and to answer your original question, the Nova T 500 wasn't the cause of the problem :)

Edit: Just read the rest of your other thread and see you have HD working fine so probably not the same issue. When you refer to 720 I take it you mean the standard definition channels like Prime and C4. I don't have any such issue with the Nova T 500 with those channels.

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi StuNZ,

The panning is on both 720 and 1080 and primarily Live and Recorded TV. I watched Avatar the other night from an 8 GB file that played perfectly along with other standard DVD's through the DVD drive which makes me think the issue is codecs (I use SAF4 and therefore PowerDVD) or the TV Tuner. Sometimes the panning is minimal e.g. the News I recorded last night, but other times quite bad - these are typically recordings where other shows are being recorded at the same time or where the machine has been on for a while which made me wonder about a heat issue - I have seen this comment on other forums. I have the Nova 500 T and an analog card running in the box. The machine is grunty - quad core 2.4Gz with 4GB of RAM so tons of capacity. It's also running Vista 32 which some members have commented is a bad operating system. This issue has plagued me since I have had my media centre.

Cheers

Graham

STuNZ

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'd still try the DPC latency checker and see what it says. Your machine can be as high spec as anything with free resources to burn and still encounter "stalls" due to driver/architecture issues that only affect demanding real time activities such as playing HD video.

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'd still try the DPC latency checker and see what it says. Your machine can be as high spec as anything with free resources to burn and still encounter "stalls" due to driver/architecture issues that only affect demanding real time activities such as playing HD video.

Ran the executable and it all looks fine - max was 1021

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again Graham

I confess I had forgotten about this issue :sorry:

1000 seems relatively high. Is that while viewing TV?
    I'm sitting on a max of 64 while watching TV3 HD (DVB-T). CPU between 5 and 15%. GPU at ~10%. Keep in mind that I'm viewing in windowed mode (952x531) - difficult to test in full screen...

I'd be trying miroslav's stuttering patch (here). I can compile a binary for you if necessary...

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I wouldn't mind trying that (for v1.1.2) as I have some stuttering after starting play and after jumping forward.

Cheers!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    rlevis: there are already binaries for 1.1.2 in the first post of the thread that I linked. Just backup your existing files, download the binaries, stop TV Server, replace the files, start TV Server again... and you're good to go.

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I wouldn't mind trying that (for v1.1.2) as I have some stuttering after starting play and after jumping forward.

I have that as well rlevis along with random slow motion playing which I resolve by timeshifting back

Hi again Graham

1000 seems relatively high. Is that while viewing TV?

No, that's just with the machine sitting at the dektop - will try in windows mode and will try disabling hardware in device manager to see if I can pinpoint the issue - will let you know my findings. Nice tool by the way!! Thanks

Update: still peaks at 1000 during window mode. At the desktop the graph sits at 24 and then jumps to 1000 periodically - is that normal?

I'd be trying miroslav's stuttering patch (here). I can compile a binary for you if necessary...

Will try and pinpoint my latency problem first based on your comment that 1000 is too high. I always thought my machine was grunty enough and it was a software issue, so this is a bit of a surprise and I'm keen to understand that first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom