Calling all nForce430/6150 motherboard owners (1 Viewer)

snewman

Portal Member
January 30, 2006
Australia
Hi,

I've been doing a lot of research on a motherboard to use for a HTPC, and I really like the nForce430 motherboards with built-in 6150 graphics. It also has SATA II, HD audio with SPDIF out etc etc - good stuff.

Now from looking at the nVidia website (http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_support.html) it seems that the 6150 can handle all of the PureVideo functionality except for Spatial-Temporal De-Interlacing for HD content (whatever that means).

What I want to know is - does this board, and most importantly the 6150 GPU, cut the mustard for a HTPC?

I am going to be watching HD DVB broadcasts, DVDs and XVid movies, all upscaled to the native resolution of my 37" LCD (1366 x 768).

Will this board be good enough? Or am I better off going for a non-integrated motherboard and a nVidia 6600 or AT X1300 video card (at higher cost)?

--

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
I just helped a friend build a system based on a 6100 motherboard and it seems to be pretty nice. XVID, DivX and other standards all worked well.
I still haven't tested enough to give you a yes or no as to HDTV capability.
The only HDTV test I performed was skipping frames but that was with video streamed over a wireless 108G network.

I can tell you this board doesn't benchmark near as fast as my ATi 200 based Jetway with side port video RAM. 2003 3D marks differed by well over 500.

snewman

Portal Member
January 30, 2006
Australia
Thanks for the response.

I guess its hard to know if the frame skipping was the network or the GPU, although from what I've read the symptoms for a GPU running out of puff is not frame skipping so much as video stopping.

Which 6100 mboard was it (Gigabyte,ASUS,MSI) - I want the DVI out from the ASUS but I believe the MSI has that too.

--

northernmonkey

Portal Member
February 15, 2006
dont know if this is any help to you but the best 6150 board out there for HTPC looks to be the msi K8NGM2-FID the last 3 letters are the important bit as it gives you all the extras tv out spdif in out etc

check out the link

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=1803985

if i had the money to build up a good system it would be around one of these, put in a x2, raid 5 array, kickass sound system...

there i go again.... too bad im poor

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
The 3D Mark numbers on that site bring the 6100 and 6150 closer to my Jetway but it's still over 1700 vs 1471. The ATi chipset must get a big boost from the sideport video RAM or the ECS board has issues. They show only 1369 as an 03 3D Mark Score.

The video playback numbers were interesting. For XVID/DivX files the ATi required less CPU... but for HDTV the NVidia chips required less.

snewman

Portal Member
January 30, 2006
Australia
Tech Geek said:
The 3D Mark numbers on that site bring the 6100 and 6150 closer to my Jetway but it's still over 1700 vs 1471. The ATi chipset must get a big boost from the sideport video RAM or the ECS board has issues. They show only 1369 as an 03 3D Mark Score.

The video playback numbers were interesting. For XVID/DivX files the ATi required less CPU... but for HDTV the NVidia chips required less.

I am seriously interested in this mboard - the MSI K8NGM2-FID that is - it gives me every option for video output and for a small sum a digital audio output.

Problem is - I can't find anyone here in Australia selling it! I've emailed MSI locally to find out when it will be available, but no reply yet (that was 3 days ago).

--

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
snewman said:
Which 6100 mboard was it (Gigabyte,ASUS,MSI) - I want the DVI out from the ASUS but I believe the MSI has that too.

This is the board my friend got:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157084

He wanted to build a cheap system for his girlfriend and I was helping pick out the parts. After he picked a cheaper motherboard I pointed out that for $5 more he could get this and I explained the differences. After running some of the NVidia demos he was glad he spent the extra money.

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
I'm thinking the new DFI board isn't shipping yet. At least none of the sources I checked have it yet.

I've been buying DFI boards for at least 10 years. Long before they added the flashy stuff and became so expensive. They have always been very reliable and stable. Only one died and that's because the power supply killed it when it gave out. It was at least 8 years old at the time.

I just wish they had come out with a decent BIOS update for my AD77 Infinity. Sempron support required I lose support of the extra features it had over the AD77 PRO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom