Calling LC11 users for advice (1 Viewer)

robomonkey

Portal Pro
August 4, 2005
Hi,

Getting excited about a new project now!!, I've been lurking for awhile and feel its time to jump in feet first.

I'm planning to go for the LC11 http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-lc11m.htm because I think it looks like the mutts nuts!!, anyone know the following:-
1. does it come with the pci riser card as standard?
2. if i get the pci-express add on will i be able to 3 standard pci cards (2xDVB, 1xNIC)
3. Does it have a place for an ir receiver
4. Will it accept a standard size psu because i've been dying for an excuse to buy one of these http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=42&pPath=296&productID=296

Thanks in advance

mowog

Portal Member
April 11, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
robomonkey said:
I'm planning to go for the LC11 http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-lc11m.htm because I think it looks like the mutts nuts!!, anyone know the following:-
1. does it come with the pci riser card as standard?

Hey robomonkey,

I have just built a HTPC in one of these, and I have to agree with you.. the LC11S is in my eyes the best looking HTPC case available. Only 100mm high and an absolutely beautiful piece of engineering.

The case does come with the PCI riser card standard, which gives you two horizontal standard PCI slots and one AGP (capable of x 8 ).

robomonkey said:
2. if i get the pci-express add on will i be able to 3 standard pci cards (2xDVB, 1xNIC)

No. The PCI-E backplane (which replaces the AGP one on the supplied riser) won't allow you to use a PCI card in there. The slot and its positioning are physically different to the standard PCI slot. Do yourself a favour and get a motherboard with integrated ethernet :)

robomonkey said:
3. Does it have a place for an ir receiver

The standard LC11 does not have the provision for an IR receiver. There is a version of the LC11 which has a VFD (vacuum-fluorescent display) which I believe might have an IR receiver, but you'd have to check the specs on that case.

robomonkey said:
4. Will it accept a standard size psu because i've been dying for an excuse to buy one of these http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=42&pPath=296&productID=296

No. The case is just too small to take a standard PSU, and this was one concern I had with the case when I bought it because I planned to put some high-end parts in it, and the supplied PSU is only rated at 240W. However, SilverStone are a bit more "responsible" about quoting power figures than many manufacturers; that figure is *sustained* power-delivery capability, not *peak*, which is what most PSU manufacturers will quote.

It's a similar situation to dodgy amplifiers -- often you'll see them advertised as being capable of pushing out 1000W, but you're not told that's PMPO ("peak music power output", I think) rather than the more accurate RMS ("root mean square") which is always a much lower number.

The upshot is that I have a motherboard in there with GigEth, SPDIF, more USB ports than you can swing a cat at, IEEE1394, plus a PCI-E graphics board, DVB-T tuner and 3GHz 64 bit P4 and it's perfectly happy running with the standard power supply. Plus, the standard supply is pretty quiet, too.

The other concern I had with this case was its heat dissipation ability, but the unique "upside down" approach they've taken with it works really, really well -- I have yet to see CPU temps above 42 deg C, and I have the machine running in a cabinet right underneath my receiver, which runs hot anyway.

The only regret I have is that I didn't get the VFD version...

Hope that helps :)

Cheers,

robomonkey

Portal Pro
August 4, 2005
Hi mowog, thanks for the help.

Can I be cheeky and ask with components you used?, my biggest fear is buying all the stuff and not being able to fit it all in.

I was planning to use this MSI board http://msicomputer.co.uk/Products.aspx?product_id=703524&cat_id=77 which has onboard express200 (equivilant to ATI x300) gpu, which from what I've read is good enough to run HTPC software, please anyone correct me before I splash the cash if they know different.

I've been googling around for ages and thats the best mobo I can find, ideally I wanted sata2 onboard, does anyone know of a mATX which does that.?

This board has an onboard nic, but because my long term plan is to replace some of my other boxes, I need two nic's to run it as a server, I may be able to use a usb nic or something.

Gutted about the PSU I really wanted to try one of those Ultraproducts.

egonspengleruk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Have a nose at my project list page for some components....
    http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8150
    Finally got everything up and running last nite (never EVER deal with Casetech.co.uk) and it looks a dream
    I have the LC11 case with the VFD and its definatly worth the extra cash for style points.
    Only one thing I would note, it that with a Sempron 3000 and the standard AMD fan running, the case is quite loud as there are now three fans going full whack. Havent got to the stage of tweaking it yet....only put mb and installed windows last nite....but it sure looks nice!

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    mowog,

Whats the PSU noise like with all that kit in it - is it noticeable for a system under the TV?
    Also what P4 heatsink/fan did you use for quietness?

DMAN

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I did replace the front and side fans with PAPSTs 8412N/2GLE (80x80x25mm, 1500rpm, 33m³/h, 12db(A)).

I did not screw the HDD to the case just dropped it on a small piece of foam and placed it in the front case fan stream.

On the CPU I've got a 92mm FAN which is running @ 5V instead of 12V (totally quiet)

My CPU runs sometime quiet hot (~60°C), because the case is in a cupboard with glasses doors and the air inside is going hotter and hotter but I made a hole in the rear of the cupboard so air from the PSU is expelled outside.

My case is now very quiet, a bit hot but stable. The only problem is the PSU's fan which is thermoregulated I think and make some noise because the case runs hot. (I plan to replace this fan too)

For my config details :

Sempron 2600+
    A7N8x-VM 400
    512MB Kingston
    Geforce Fx5200
    Hitachi 160GB
    Sapphire Theatrix with Ati Theater 550 Pro onboard

robomonkey

Portal Pro
    August 4, 2005
    Yeah I saw that but the case with the 300watt psu is the cheaper one!!!

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Robomonkey - MSI ATI chipset board

Hi Robomonkey,

I have the MSI board you are asking about in my HTPC (Accent HT-400 case) with an Athlon64 3000 processor and Nova-t PCI tuner card. Just using the onboard video, and everything is working fine. Using ShowShifter as the software at the moment, although I am starting to play around with Media Portal.

I was initially warned against the ATI chipset boards on stability grounds, but I've had no trouble at all with it.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom