Can I turn on and off the live recording of television? (1 Viewer)

DJA

April 24, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Is it possible to turn on and off at will the live recording of a television/cable channel? I have an older whole house video system that still serves me well for low definition distribution. Windows 7 Media Center is a pain in the butt because of its live recording of any channel being viewed. I'm hoping there is a way in MediaPortal to disable the live recording (and preferably unspecific channels). The live recording of television channels is great except for my low definition distributions. Imagine if you will video/audio distributions to adjacent rooms with one having a 15 second delay. The sound is maddening.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If you're referring to timeshifting which is done as soon as you tune into a TV Channel, the answer would be no. If you mean something else, please clarify the question ;)

DJA

April 24, 2012
    Home Country
    Yes, timeshifting is the problem. By timeshifting I assume you mean that feature which allows for pausing, and replay of live television. This is a wonderful feature for viewing live television; however, it is a nightmare for those of us that distribute video on a cable channel system. Modulators are used to place a video signal over an unoccupied cable channel – which can then be distributed throughout a facility or home. Low-resolution modulators cost a few hundred dollars. High-resolution modulators cost upwards of $1500, and thus are used primarily in commercial facilities. The purpose is to distribute video and audio to multiple locations within a facility or home simultaneously. Timeshifting defeats the purpose as it does not allow for simultaneous viewing.

MediaPortal is a great solution for receiving and allowing selection of multiple video sources. I'm told that Hauppauge's Win7 allows for toggling on and off timeshifting (live recording); however that defeats the purpose of having a comprehensive media center.

Does anyone know how to accomplish turning off the "timeshifting" feature on MediaPortal?

larsbln

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2010
    Germany
    I read your post very carefully but I'm sorry to say that I'm still not sure what this is about.

So as far as I understood you have an analogue distribution system like unicable. Every TV needs either a reciever or a build in tuner for that signal.
    One tuner means you could point it to one transponder of that signal. Do you want to convert a satellite signal into an analogue signal for a facility like a hotel?

Thats gonna be expensive and Mediaportal has nothing to do with that :)

DJA

April 24, 2012
    Home Country
    I'm not simply converting a satellite or cable signal into analog symbol for a commercial facility such as a hotel. If I were then your assumption would be correct – a media center application would be redundant –and that would prove to be unduly expensive. The built-in tuner on an LCD or LED television would be sufficient for the cause, and all distributions would be in sync.

I am utilizing an existing cable feed distributed throughout a home with multiple mobility impaired individuals living in it. These individuals are bedbound, they're unable to get up and manually switch video input sources, and they can't operate remote controls. They can however access their own personal computer through assistive devices. That is why a comprehensive media center solution is favorable.Simplicity is imperative!

They want to be able to simultaneously view ATSC channels or any DVD being played in the main living area.It is the demand for simultaneous viewing that presents the problem with Windows Media Center, and seemingly, MediaPortal.If only it were possible to turn off the live recording (or timeshifting) feature in either of these media center applications then all would be well.
    As I said before, simplicity is imperative.Going outside of a media center application defeats the goal of simplicity.I am told that Hauppauge's WIN7 allows for toggling on and off the timeshifting of video feeds.However, these residents are fully functional in the use of media center applications and enjoy their experience with MediaPortal and Windows Media Center.Introducing another application onto the residents' personal computers is out of the question.

If Hauppauge's WIN7 can toggle on and off timeshifting – then why not MediaPortal?

larsbln

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2010
    Germany
    I still dont get it. You install Mediaportal on a TV-Server with as many TV-Cards as you have as clients. So 8 Clients need 8 tuners and all of your clients can watch another program simultaneously? The Clients need a wired network connection to the TV-Server and can watch DVD's which are stored on the TV-Server or a NAS. Whats the point in disabling the timeshift?
    Maybe you are thinking to complicated or I still dont understand :)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    No, you can't disable live TV timeshifting - it's fundamental to the way it operates internally - but unless you actually pause TV the delay is very short (usually around 1 to 2 seconds).

Tony

markcar_2000

Portal Pro
    July 7, 2009
    new york
    Home Country
    Sounds like the problem is you can have two people ten feet from one anther Watching say house one 2 min in the other 2 min 15 sec in with nothing but a thin sheet or courten in between them and the sound of the tv being off 15 sec is madding.
    If I'm right you might be able to get rid of the stop button on live play back in the skin or controller so they can't get them out of sink

larsbln

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2010
    Germany
    Sounds like the problem is you can have two people ten feet from one anther Watching say house one 2 min in the other 2 min 15 sec in with nothing but a thin sheet or courten in between them and the sound of the tv being off 15 sec is madding.
    If I'm right you might be able to get rid of the stop button on live play back in the skin or controller so they can't get them out of sink

What about headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom