can i use spdif out and hdmi at the same time? (1 Viewer)

datfreak

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2006
    Hi,
    atm im using a ati 5450 card with hdmi directly to the tv for video/sound.

I have a good quality but older HT reciever amp that does not have hdmi but does have spdif out.(my motherboard has spdif out)

I do not want to use the amp all the time except music and rarely movies.

So, can I somehow use the hdmi directly to the tv AND sometimes just turn on the amp for music/surrround without screwing with settings on the pc.

Im using saf5.

Im considering selling the older amp and buying a newer one with hdmi just to make this easier .

Any thoughts would be great.

kjarrig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Iceland Iceland
    Hi,
    I do have an old amp, it has only analog input, and what I do is that I plug the HDMI from the PC to the TV. And use the headphone output from the TV to amp and this works fine. Turn the volume from the TV to zero, and the volume from the headphone to max.

Kindest regards,

Kjartan

datfreak

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2006
    thanks but Im more interested if digital passthru can go to hmdi and spdif at the same time

1stdead

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I'm almost 100% certain it is not possible due to DRM rights or soemthing. I tried to play through my tv and amp at the same time and that wasn't possible.
    However there's a plugin that can change output while you in MP gui

matpe

Portal Pro
    June 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I had a Nvidia 9500GT with spdif input, so i made a cable from spdif out from my sound card, and connected them, that way i got sound out to my TV through HDMI, and sound to my receiver through spdif, im not sure but o don’t think the 5450 have that connection :(

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The only way this could be done is if you are using a motherboard or a soundcard with internal spdif out and a video card with spdif in for hdmi

you could take the spdif out and split it to run to the video card and to a bracket like this and then you could have spdif out through hdmi and toslink cable simultaneous

QG3ms.jpg

DlXkB.jpg

netexplorer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: can i use spdif out and hdmi at the same time?

You can use a DVI - HDMI connection for the HTPC to TV.
    -Check if your TV have a Chinch input for sound and you can use it for HDMI input.
    -Connect HTPC via DVI to HDMI cable to TV
    -Connect HTPC via stereo jack output to TV chinch input
    -Connect SPDIF to your AMP
    Normally with stereo sound files both outputs are active if the analog output is set to standard. For surround files you have to change the standard output to SPDIF and the analag output mutes. To do this with your remote, use the Audio Renderer Changer plugin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom