Operating System Can Mediaportal run on Windows Embedded? (1 Viewer)

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I agree with tourettes; if your hardware/windows is ok, you will most likely have problems with MP - if any.

Of course it's nice to skip the windows shell, I had this with earlier versions of MP where I was using MP as a shell (on xp)
    If the speed/system requirements compared to a regular version is better/lower, then it's an interesting idea.

I thought that on ?Vista?/W7, it was not possible anymore to modify the shell/bootscreens anymore.
    Keep us posted! ;)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Well I guess I can add that I did no go forward with this after I found out that you can launch Mediaportal as the shell in Windows 7. Lisensing would also be a problem with W7E.

markcar_2000

Portal Pro
    July 7, 2009
    new york
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm n the middle of installing mp on windows embedded standard it's pretty much win7 and mp installed and runs video no problem but it not likening the plugin. I'm trying to figure out what the plugins use on install that mp don't I'm updating my .net and then I'm lost (I'm lost now) any ideas on why I'd be able install have my app. And not the other

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would have thought you could achieve the same result (small foot print, boot time, etc) with W7 as you could with WES7 - with a bit of tuning, uninstalling, etc.

I thought legally you can only supply WES7 with the hardware - embedded licensing from M$

From the top of my head, the only advantage would be around activation, embedded products dont need activating like other M$ products (the base image does, but not the subsequent deployed builds)

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

J.

ps - You can change the shell in W7, like all the other M$ OSs

markcar_2000

Portal Pro
    July 7, 2009
    new york
    Home Country
    No you can get a licensing on line the same way as if you downloaded xp or 7 from them I got a box of eBay already loaded so now I got 4gb to work with from there sight I have a program that will map out and make a answer file I just need to know what has to run I know you can hide the os in 7 and xp but you can't have the shell block windows out os much plus I like locking the system down then having it restart at night it boot back up the same as the day I set it up I have all the fanart and db files on there own drive thats rw and the system is read only plus if it crashes it come back right in to mp no pop ups

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I am confused by what you are trying to do?? Is this where you are looking to build/deploy prebuilt solutions running WES7 with MePo?

You can configure things like you suggest. I have worked with embedded, wepos and PosReady (Point of Sale embedded versions) where they have been locked down, hardened, reduced build, boot optimised, etc.

There are many ways of designing solutions, are you after a fully transient/stateless install, where you run the OS from memory/ram drive, and its freshly reloaded at boot up? or if you configure the OS correctly, separating out your data/apps from it, then nothing should really change on the OS (especially if its hardened) so shouldnt need to reload it each day.

J.

markcar_2000

Portal Pro
    July 7, 2009
    new york
    Home Country
    No I just want one or two with os on it .im stock with the os on the box I have do to hardware it's go the the kids room so the fact I can lock it down so he can't mess with it and if he does when it reboots the next night it fixed.It on a cf drive 4 gb with touch monitor the hole pc is the size of monitor .but why I'm doing it is not the point it if I can doit the guys from moving pictures just sent me a link to one with out a installer I'm going to try that but I wish I know what the installer need that a don't have I'm trying to wright avery thing down so I can post the hole job if it works

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom