Can no longer find DVB-S channels in MP, works fine in ProgDVB (1 Viewer)

Alphathon

Portal Pro
July 15, 2010
Home Country
Scotland Scotland
Hi all. I set up my dish for the first time today and initially managed to get MediaPortal to scan and find all the channels on 19.2°E (and, initially, some from 13°E as I had aligned the dish to the wrong constellation). I then proceeded to try a few out (mostly ARD channels) and they worked flawlessly.

Then, all of a sudden, none of the channels would tune, with MP giving a "no signal" error. I didn't change any settings or anything, I just tried to tune to a different channel and it wouldn't, and it wouldn't tune any of the one's I'd previously tested either.

I initially thought the dish had shifted, but no matter what I did I couldn't get MP to tune the channels. (I used a signal meter to align the dish and the signal was pretty strong.) I then tried a re-scan and this time no signal from any transponder was picked up by MP at all. I also tried using the card's other tuner, different connectors on the LNB and a different LNB entirely, but had no luck.

Then I tried scanning for channels in ProgDVB, and lo-and-behold, it found them all and had no problem tuning them. (Signal strength and quality according to ProgDVB both average around 80% and are pretty consistent.) As such I've concluded that the issue is with MP rather than the hardware.

After that, I tried restarting the computer, using some older drivers for the tuner, removing the tuners from MP and re-adding them and even rolling back to a previous system restore point (which had been made the previous day). Nothing has helped, and MP still refuses to find any signal whatsoever on any transponder on either 19.2°E or 28.2°E (which are both fine in ProgDVB).

Incidentally, my other tuners (a BlackGold BGT3620 and a Hauppauge Nova-T 500) are both working fine.

I am at a total loss and any help would be much appreciated. I'd rather not have to reinstall the TV server, and am happy to tweak the settings in the MySQL database if need be.

Here are any specs/details that might be relevant:
Tuner: TBS 6981 dual DVB-S(2)
Initial driver version (when it was working): 2.0.1.3
Second driver version tried: 2.0.0.18
Current driver version: 2.0.1.3
LNB: Inverto Black Ultra Quad

P.S. How does one set up a DiSEqC switch? I haven't got mine hooked up at the moment but once I get this problem sorted I will be hooking some up so that I can switch between 19.2°E and 28.2°E. Do I need to change the "DiSEqC" setting in the tuning page or do I just need to add a "dish #2"?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Alphathon

Logs are required for a problem such as this - there is just no way I can guess the problem without them. I'd appreciate it if you could make a habit of posting logs whenever you report a problem here.
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Click "open log directory" in the top left corner.
    3. Zip up all the files you find there and post the zip file here.

Re. DiSEqC: aside from the fact that you'll have to rescan all your channels [unless you know SQL and can manually update the database] it is pretty straightforward. When you scan, just set the DiSEqC option to the appropriate value for the switch position associated with the satellite that you're about to scan. You can tick and configure two of the satellite rows if you want to scan the satellites back-to-back.

There are 6 DiSEqC options. For a 2 input switch you'd use either simple A and simple B or AA and BB. For a 4 input switch, AA is input 1, AB is input 2 etc.

mm

Alphathon

Portal Pro
    July 15, 2010
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Sure, here you go. I've only included the logs from today (I didn't think you needed 1 GB or several-month old TsWriter logs) - I can attach others and any client logs if required.

Oh, and thanks for the DiSEqC info, much appreciated :). TBH, I'm surprised it isn't mentioned in the Wiki page on DVB-S scanning.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

I'm almost certain your problem is this:
    2012-07-25 01:57:19.132763 [(28)]: LNB low:0 hi:0 switch:0

...meaning you have enabled the LNB override settings but have set them all to zero. Either put the proper values in there or disable them and use the "band type" setting appropriate for your LNB (likely to be Ku Linear Universal since you're in Europe).

mm

Alphathon

Portal Pro
    July 15, 2010
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Yeah, the overrides were enabled and set to 0. I didn't have advanced controls enabled though, so I'm not sure why they were being used (or why they turned themselves on while I was testing channels). Oh well, no matter, it's working now which is all that really matters. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom