Can someone De-confuse me? (1 Viewer)

woddog

Portal Pro
November 28, 2007
Townsville, QLD
Home Country
MPWebservice, iPimp, TV4Home????????????????

Firstly, can someone explain what these do and why there are so many different ones?

Secondly can any of them do (or will be able to in the future) the below:

Situation: I would like to stream my live TV from the TV server to other clients. These clients don't necessarily run MP. As an example, I want to run Win 7 MC on an underpowered atom tablet and because 7MC loads much quicker than MP does (and because of limited tablet resources) I would like to use 7MC as the tv client. I would preferably like to transcode the stream so as not to strain the tablet too much and so I can watch the HD channels over wi-fi (RTSP streaming is no good for HD channels in my situtation).

I can see that there are alot of dedicated developers working on the streaming and it would very exciting for one solution that can stream to all devices (phones, tablet, laptops, etc) over LAN and WAN.

Thanks for your time

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    iPiMP is mainly targeted at mobile devices, iPhone and Android. MPWebServices is an old webservice which features everything: streaming, transcoding, scheduling, etc. However, it isn't developed actively anymore (I maintained it for the last months, but I'm planning on stopping). TV4Home isn't very clear for me too, but it looks like it is aimed to be a better, well-designed replacement for MPWebServices. It features a serverside service (for programmers), which was released here. I think they're working on a web interface which features streaming, but I'm not really sure (ask them).

If you want it working right away you should probably choose for MPWebServices. If you have some time I think it is the best to wait for TV4Home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom