Can someone explain why a TV channel doesn't broadcast a picture of a constant size? (1 Viewer)

spiderwheels

Portal Pro
October 28, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
During a typical program the size of the displayed picture changes slightly. Sometimes there are two thin black bars down each side of the screen (I mean thin - not the same as a 4/3 picture), sometimes there is a thin black border around the whole picture with a dashed grey line at the top edge and sometimes the picture completely fills the screen - and all this in the same program.

Can someone provide an explanation or a link.
:D

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Re: Can someone explain why a TV channel doesn't broadcast a picture of a constant si

Pretty scarey hey, amazing what a normal tv can do in adjusting these pictures on the fly

Mostly this is down to how the codec manages the image, if you select original as zoom mode, then change through a few channels you will see even more differences.

That's why intelligent frame correction (IFC) is a good thing.

mr viggo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Re: Can someone explain why a TV channel doesn't broadcast a picture of a constant si

My tv provider even broadcast some channels at 16:9 squeezed in a 4:3 format (hard to explain). The picture looks perfect when using stretched mode, weird. :)

spiderwheels

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2009
    Home Country

Pretty scarey hey, amazing what a normal tv can do in adjusting these pictures on the fly

Mostly this is down to how the codec manages the image, if you select original as zoom mode, then change through a few channels you will see even more differences.

That's why intelligent frame correction (IFC) is a good thing.

Interesting looking plugin. Is it possible for this plugin to just stretch things a little bit - maybe make the picture about 5% bigger when it has those tiny black borders.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country

Yes - that's exactly what I use it for (plus changing zoom mode for 4:3 material) - I don't use it for black bar cropping.

Tony

spiderwheels

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2009
    Home Country

Yes - that's exactly what I use it for (plus changing zoom mode for 4:3 material) - I don't use it for black bar cropping.

Tony

Great. I'll have a look at it on the weekend.

wolfi_b

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    AW: Can someone explain why a TV channel doesn't broadcast a picture of a constant si

These tiny black bars are called overscan, normal CR TVs don't show them. You don't need a plugin to correct them, there is a simple option in the menu to crop the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom