Can someone suggest a solution... (2 Viewers)

Roberdin

Portal Pro
December 26, 2005
London, United Kingdom
Why not just keep your lounge computer running? It's probably a more effective solution. You can use the power management features of XP to save some power if that's what you're worried about.

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    hey Roberdin...
    I thought about leaving it on all the time, but i'm one of these people who likes to switch things off at night ( or at least standby ) in the house...
    Call me paranoid, but thats how fires start and if i can minimize the risk, so be it.
    I don't care if my garage burns down.... its no attatched to the house. I can replace my computer gear thats in there, but i can't replace my 2 beautiful kids...

Anyway, if i take out the 3 x 300Gig HDD's in the loung room and put them in the garage server, i will cut down noise even more...

thanx for the input tho... :)

Roberdin

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2005
    London, United Kingdom
    I understand your point, but a computer is unlikely to start a fire. No more likely than your VCR, microwave, alarm clock, fridge, or possibly even a device plugged in but turned off. Do you turn off your computers at the plug? Otherwise some of its circuitry, including a series of step-down transformers (most likely devices in your computer to be a problem) will remain active. And of course, you could always strap a smoke alarm to it. ;)

Anyway, a garage server is not a bad idea, but beware that if your garage is not uber clean it may be good thinking to invest in a reasonably heavy duty case and some dust filters for the fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom