Operating System Can windows/MP automatically shut down, if TV is off? (1 Viewer)

Nicoolai

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2011
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi,
    I am unsure where to post this.

Is it possible, somehow, to detect that the TV/Monitor is turned off, and then shutdown the computer?
    Using HDMI and Win7.

The problem is, once in a while, when we turn off the TV, the remote gets turned away, before the computer gets the off signal.
    The monitor and the amp gets turned off, and noone notice that the computer is still running.

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    +1

If Mediaportal can be deactivated/Activated by HDMI? Could it possible to go all the way, and just send the PC for Standby/Power right away?

For us "Standby users" without power toogle buttons on remote can "Wake-on-usb" the computer again.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'd be surprised if it is possible to detect if a tv via hdmi is turned on or off (Monitor via DVI might be a different story). I spent ages searching the web and it seems there is no solution for detecting whether a tv is on or off. You can't even poll the EDID as apparently a tv will respond with EDID even if it is off. If they start making video cards that natively support CEC then it would be possible, but until then I have a feeling that it's not possible, although maybe one of the developers knows a way around this.

The only current way to do this is buy a pulse-eight usb-cec adapter and use this
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...rol-mediaportal-using-your-tvs-remote.114029/

Last edited:

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Windows has an API for detecting power state of connected devices, including displays. So this is not a biggie. Works since XP (if I am not mistaken even since 98SE). Doesn't matter how it is connected. Part of the Power Mangement APIs. Work for all devices. Not so easy to find if you look for HDMI displays. But it works fine as it can check the state of all connected devices form an Win point of view.

If it is turned off and not because of suspending we can trigger an event.

Last edited:

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No, there's a different class. Forgot the name at moment as I am official drunk at the moment :D 5:20 am... Was an awesome evening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom