Can you disable Library Sync? (1 Viewer)

diogod

Portal Member
July 2, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
First, I wanted to say thanks for adding the option to disable Library Sync, but unfortunately it's not working. My Library was still updated to trakt even with the option "keep library/collection clean on trakt" marked on Media Portal Config.

The plugin is working great for scrobbling! I'm very much inclined to go back to Media Portal, but I need the library to not sync.
Awesome job, Keep it up! Hope it can be fixed.

Last edited:

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    First, I wanted to say thanks for adding the option to disable Library Sync, but unfortunately it's not working. My Library was still updated to trakt even with the option "keep library/collection clean on trakt" marked on Media Portal Config.

The plugin is working great for scrobbling! I'm very much inclined to go back to Media Portal, but I need the library to not sync.

Yeah sorry about that, there was one case where it would still update the library and that is when you insert a new movie into MovingPictures whilst mediaportal was running.

Was that the case for you or something else? I have fixed that for the next build.

The option you chose though "keep library/collection clean on trakt" is a setting that disables movies/episodes being removed from your library during sync i.e. if you no longer have something in your local database collection then it removes it from your online collection.

The setting you want to disable is called "Enable Library Sync". However, as I said above there is one small case where it fails to disable and that is when you insert a new movie whilst mediaportal is running. If you avoid that until next build then you will notice that nothing new will added/removed from your library.

Note: option is only available in Advance Settings in the GUI. To access Advanced Settings you need to install the Extensions plugin, alternatively you can edit MediaPortal.xml.

Last edited:

diogod

Portal Member
    July 2, 2013
    Home Country

Yeah sorry about that, there was one case where it would still update the library and that is when you insert a new movie into MovingPictures whilst mediaportal was running.

Was that the case for you or something else? I have fixed that for the next build.

The option you chose though "keep library/collection clean on trakt" is a setting that disables movies/episodes being removed from your library during sync i.e. if you no longer have something in your local database collection then it removes it from your online collection.

The setting you want to disable is called "Enable Library Sync". However, as I said above there is one small case where it fails to disable and that is when you insert a new movie whilst mediaportal is running. If you avoid that until next build then you will notice that nothing new will added/removed from your library.

Note: option is only available in Advance Settings in the GUI. To access Advanced Settings you need to install the Extensions plugin, alternatively you can edit MediaPortal.xml.

That was not my case, I think. My case is just that I did not disable the rigtht option (*Facepalm* me). I could not find it. I did noticed that it was supposed to be on advanced settings, but since I could not find it in the GUI, I thought it was that option on the plugin configuration form MediaPortal configuration.
    I searched but still don't get what it means to install "the Extensions plugin". Sorry for that. I'm still getting the hang of it.
    I did manage to edit the librarysync it in the MediaPortal.xml. Need to test now.

Thanks for the all attention, and for moving my post (should have done that in the first place).

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    No Problem,

I searched but still don't get what it means to install "the Extensions plugin"
    You can install the Extensions plugin from the MediaPortal Extensions Installer on your desktop or from here: https://www.team-mediaportal.com/extensions/system/extensions.

When the Extensions plugin is installed, you will see an 'Advanced Settings' button under Trakt->Settings.

Last edited:

diogod

Portal Member
    July 2, 2013
    Home Country
    I tested and I think the Collection is not being updated anymore now. Thanks.

One other thing I noticed is that, an episode I played and then rated (for testing some days ago), and then removed it form trakt.tv history on the website (because I did not actually watched it, I was just testing), got marked as "seen" and "rated" again today. Is there an option to disable this syncing of seen episodes from MediaPortal -> Trakt and allowing just the scrobbling? Or maybe a way to sync only from trakt -> MediaPortal? (I have selected the "synchronizing ratings", is that the problem?)

Also tried to "toggle watched" on that episode in MediaPortal to see if it won't get marked as seen next time.

I don't now if my explanation was confusing, sorry if it was.

Last edited:

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    One other thing I noticed is that, an episode I played and then rated (for testing some days ago), and then removed it form trakt.tv history on the website (because I did not actually watched it, I was just testing), got marked as "seen" and "rated" again today. Is there an option to disable this syncing of seen episodes from MediaPortal -> Trakt and allowing just the scrobbling? Or maybe a way to sync only from trakt -> MediaPortal? (I have selected the "synchronizing ratings", is that the problem?)

If LibrarySync was disabled then it shouldn't of marked the episode as seen/rated, I can't see how that could of happen from the client side. Keep an eye on it to see if it happens again and attach a full set of debug logs. Maybe there was some other client that did it?

diogod

Portal Member
    July 2, 2013
    Home Country
    If LibrarySync was disabled then it shouldn't of marked the episode as seen/rated, I can't see how that could of happen from the client side. Keep an eye on it to see if it happens again and attach a full set of debug logs. Maybe there was some other client that did it?

Well Just did a test (really simple test, I think you can reproduce it without my logs, but I attached them):
    LibrarySync is disabled:
    1- Went to any episode show still unwatched from "TV Shows"
    2- Click with right button, then on "Toggle watched"
    3- Now on trakt.tv history it was marked as seen (mannualy)
    If i delete it on the trakt.tv history, I'm not sure if it will get added again unless I toggle the watched episode as unwatched on MediaPortal. In my tests it was not added again after marking another episode as watched or after scrobbling (only the new episode was added). But I do think it will at some point, since I saw it happening before, just not sure when.

Make a note that I'm not talking about "collection" anymore, the episodes are getting marked as seen on my history, as if it was synchronizing the MediaPortal library to trakt (the "collection" is not).

It's not a bug, I think that it's how you designed it to behave. It's a nice function, I see how it could be useful. I think a lot of people is glad with it. But I would rather disable it, so the only synchronization happening would be from Trakt->MediaPortal (except the scrobbling obviously).

But it's not a big problem, I just need to be careful with what I mark as watched on MediaPortal.

Last edited:

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Sorry a little confused now.

Are you saying you also want to disable 'togglewatched' from MediaPortal GUI?

Your logs are showing you do a toggle watched which is fine. What im reading above is that you're experiencing it being sent to trakt automatically after you manually removed it from your online history? If so, the only way I can tell if that's a problem with the plugin is if you capture that in the logs.

When you disable library sync, it disables syncing of items seen, unseen as well, however it lets you do it manually from the GUI.

diogod

Portal Member
    July 2, 2013
    Home Country
    Sorry a little confused now.

Sorry, I think it was me. I got confused before. That's because I'm confusing what happened before I disable "library sync" and what's happening now.

Are you saying you also want to disable 'togglewatched' from MediaPortal GUI?
    Not really.
    I don't mind "togglewatched" being active (and sending the info to trakt.tv) since I'm not going to use it. The problem is, if I remove an item from trak.tv history, will it get toggled as unwatched on Media Portal?

Also, now with library sync disabled, will MediaPortal get synchronized with my trakt.tv library? I mean, what is on trakt.tv library (updated from another plugin, or marked manually on the site) appears as seen/unseen on MediaPortal?

From my experience, it won't. But I also don't think any episode will get automatically "manually marked as seen" on trakt.tv anymore, since library sync is disabled now.

Your logs are showing you do a toggle watched which is fine. What im reading above is that you're experiencing it being sent to trakt automatically after you manually removed it from your online history? If so, the only way I can tell if that's a problem with the plugin is if you capture that in the logs.

I don't think it will happen anymore with Library sync disabled.

When you disable library sync, it disables syncing of items seen, unseen as well, however it lets you do it manually from the GUI.

Yeah, think I got it now. :)

But, I think I will have problems with what appears as seen/unseen on my MediaPortal Library... If I ever want to update that on my MediaPortal Library, I will have to mark the option "Library Sync", and that will screw up my collection again.

As an idea for a future update (if you want):
    The ability to synchronize only client side. It would mean to do a Library Sync from "Trakt.tv -> Media Portal"; NOT from "Media Portal -> Trakt.tv".
    Of course, maintaining the ability to scrobble, or even manually marking something as seen (togglewathed) in Media Portal.

I'm not sure if possible, but alternatively an easier but not best solution (for my Collection problem), would be an option to only disable Collection Sync, and not Library (syncing of items seen, unseen).

Hope it was clear, I'm not sure.:confused:

Last edited:

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Okay sounds like you get it now.

Sounds like what you what now is just the ability to disable syncing of collection, I can look at that for a future option so you can enable library sync but only have seen/unseen/ratings get synced 2-ways. The one way sync is another option as well as you say, I will take another look at improving the configuration of syncing for a later release.

fyi... Syncing of unseen will only occur if you mark as unwatched in MediaPortal GUI. I dont think removing watched/seen from from trakt.tv website adds them to the unseen records if I recall correctly. The unseen records are removed from the API when the corresponding items is watched or marked as seen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom