Canibalising a Pioneer AV Receiver (1 Viewer)

PeteMy

Portal Member
July 28, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Can anyone give me some advice on canibalising a Pioneer VSX-C502 AV Receiver? Has anyone got a pdf service manual?
I wanted to build a single-box HTPC, but with the demise of the MSI Media Live Diva with 5.1 power amp, it looks like this won't happen. My next option is a one-and-a-half-box system - the HTPC in its nice single case and a multi-channel power amp hidden away at the back of the cabinet. I don't need the receiver, or the controls or the display - the HTPC will do all that. I'm having a problem finding anything like that at an affordable price, or without having to build it!

But I do have the Pioneer AV Receiver from my current rig. There's nothing wrong with the audio side - it has all I need inside - 6 channels @ 100 W per channel, PSU, etc. It's just that it has all the bits I don't want, as well. And it's big. So, if I can strip out and use the PSU, and the audio amps, I figured that it might do the job. But then, I might be being naive and simplistic ...

So, does anyone know anything about these Pioneers? Or can anyone point me to a service manual, so that I can figure out if it's possible?

Cheers,

Pete

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Can anyone give me some advice on canibalising a Pioneer VSX-C502 AV Receiver? Has anyone got a pdf service manual?
    I wanted to build a single-box HTPC, but with the demise of the MSI Media Live Diva with 5.1 power amp, it looks like this won't happen. My next option is a one-and-a-half-box system - the HTPC in its nice single case and a multi-channel power amp hidden away at the back of the cabinet. I don't need the receiver, or the controls or the display - the HTPC will do all that. I'm having a problem finding anything like that at an affordable price, or without having to build it!

But I do have the Pioneer AV Receiver from my current rig. There's nothing wrong with the audio side - it has all I need inside - 6 channels @ 100 W per channel, PSU, etc. It's just that it has all the bits I don't want, as well. And it's big. So, if I can strip out and use the PSU, and the audio amps, I figured that it might do the job. But then, I might be being naive and simplistic ...

So, does anyone know anything about these Pioneers? Or can anyone point me to a service manual, so that I can figure out if it's possible?

Cheers,

Pete

Do you really need a separate amp? Is there anything wrong with using PC speakers, which would have some sort of amp built into the subwoofer?

I use this type of setup, and it is fine for me. Then you have a good selection of htpc cases that will look great. Since you are in the UK, try to one from www.novatech.co.uk - great looking and cheap, as long as you don't need too much in the way of power.

Mark

PeteMy

Portal Member
    July 28, 2009
    Home Country
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for the prompt response. I've already got a Mission M3 speaker setup, which are not powered. Hence the need for a power amp. Even if I put an amp in each speaker, I'd still need 5 power amps + power supplies.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom