Cannot enter standby when watching TV... (1 Viewer)

icespirit

March 22, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
TV-Server Version: v1.0
MediaPortal Version: v1.0
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3
Windows Version: XP Home (Service Pack 3)
CPU Type: Dual Core Atom (330)
HDD: 320GB Western Digital 2.5" SATA
Memory: 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 RAM
Motherboard: Intel D945GCLF2
Video Card: Intel GM950
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova-T-500
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Noah 3988
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: Dell (unbranded) OEM Microsoft MCE Remote
TV: 4:3 CRT
TV - HTPC Connection: S-Video

I'm hoping someone can assist me.
Over the past two months, I have been slowly building, configuring, tweaking and fixing my new HTPC based on MediaPortal. Now I've got everything pretty much sorted, apart from putting the machine into Standby.
I've already come across the issue of being unable to wake properly from S3 standby state (the PC reboots instead of just resuming), and am shortly going to be installing a new picoPSU power supply to get around this.

However, my last problem is really annoying me. I'm using a MCE remote, and using the power button to enter hibernation/standby. This works absolutely fine from MediaPortal's home menu, or while playing videos, etc. However, if MediaPortal is playing TV, it doesn't. Then the power button has absolutely no effect.
If I'm watching TV, and want to put the HTPC into hibernation or standby, I have to press the STOP button to stop the TV playing, before then pressing the power button to go into hibernation/standby.

It's almost as if the TV service is blocking the whole process. I've looked everywhere I can think of, adjusted settings in the Powerscheduler plugin (both in MP Configuration and TV Server Configuration), tried to change the key mappings for the MCE remote (in MP Configuration), and even tried to install and use the MCE Standby Tool program. Nothing seems to work.

I have a feeling that I've missed something fairly straight-forward or obvious, but I've now run out of ideas - can anybody help? :mad:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    If I'm watching TV, and want to put the HTPC into hibernation or standby, I have to press the STOP button to stop the TV playing, before then pressing the power button to go into hibernation/standby.

It was designed that way, the reasoning behind it, accidently hitting the standby button killed the timeshift buffer, once done this is irreversible, to stop this happening, you have to manually stop TV, before you can enter standby.

icespirit

March 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ahh, that would explain things. Thanks for the swift reply - even if wasn't quite the answer I was looking for!

At least I can stop tearing my hair out now.

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    makes me wonder why the mechanism doesn't turn the TV off automatically when standby button is pressed.. more logical imo, could also be configurable..

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Standby, is one of the most corruptive elements of windows, if not used correctly, there are just so many posts on the net, not just here, that relate to people having working systems and then waking up one day to everything gone foobar on resume :(

I think its called damage limitation, to let MP actually control standby :)

icespirit

March 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Now I am really confused. Having fiddled around a bit more with the PowerScheduler plugin settings in both the TVServer and MP configuration, I now successfully have MediaPortal going into S3 Standby from anywhere - TV included. Not sure how this is working, if it has been designed to not do this, but I am happy that it is doing so. My only problem now is the unstable nature of MediaPortal I seem to have on my system - but even though it crashes randomly for me, MediaPortal is still the best software of it's type I've tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom