Cannot minimize screen while listening to music and will Media Portal serve as a DVD player (1 Viewer)

rainbowsandy

August 3, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
While listening to my music in Media Portal I would like to minimize the screen but Windows minimize button is not present. If could minimize I could do other things on the computer while listening to music. Is this not allowed in Media Portal??? Didn't wee anything in configuration on this.
Also I installed Media Portal so I will have a media server after I install Windows 10 as it is doing away with the media server. it is also doing away with the DVD player. If I install Windows 10 will Media Portal serve as my DVD player or do I need to install another software??? If so can you make recommendations??? Appreciate any help you can give me as I am a senior citizen and not very tech savvy.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome! :)

While listening to my music in Media Portal I would like to minimize the screen but Windows minimize button is not present. If could minimize I could do other things on the computer while listening to music. Is this not allowed in Media Portal??? Didn't wee anything in configuration on this.
    You can press alt + enter to toggle between full screen and windowed mode. In windowed mode you'll be able to minimise, resize, etc.

I'm not able to answer your DVD question. MediaPortal can play DVDs, that much I know. I'm just not 100% sure if other software is required to make it work on W10. On W7 and earlier no additional software was required. W8/8.1 and W10, I don't know. Hopefully somebody else will be able to answer this question for you. :)

JohnHind

Portal Member
    August 3, 2013
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Windows 10 has a great solution to this: multiple Desktops. You just create a second desktop, put MediaPortal on that and you can quickly switch back and forth between MP and your other work. This feature made Windows 10 worth it on its own for me!

It used to irritate the hell out of me that MP compulsorily muted the audio when minimized. Particularly for live TV where I often want to hide the video whilst still auditing audio - for example doing something else during ad breaks whilst still monitoring for programme resumption, or "half-listening" for something interesting in sports commentary or news. The compulsory way MP minimizes to the task tray rather than to the task-bar like every other program is another irritation solved. (As a side note, with the vast complexity of settings already available for this program, surely the MP guys could make these "eccentricities" user configurable?)

Since Windows 10, this all works just as I want it - thank-you Microsoft, I can almost forgive the dodgy privacy settings!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom