[solved] Cannot play live TV or recorded TV (1 Viewer)

hol353

Portal Member
May 5, 2009
Home Country
Hi all

I'm trying MediaPortal 2 Spring Edition 2016 for the first time having used MP1 for many years. I'm trying it on a fresh format and install of Windows 7 64bit, no MP1 installed.

Everything looks really good except I can't seem to play .ts files (recorded TV copied from old MP1 box) or view live TV from guide. I get the error:

No Player: There is no player registered to play media item 'live4-0.ts.tsbuffer'

Log files attached. No additional codecs installed. Am using LAV as installed by MP2. I can play the .ts files in Windows Media Player and Graph Studio is also happy using LAV splitter, Microsoft DTV-DVD video decoder and LAV audio decoder.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Dean
--- Post updated ---
Sorry with full logs this time.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Last edited:

hol353

Portal Member
    May 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Thanks for the tip

I have uninstalled all 3 VC redistributables and reinstalled from the link you specify above. Still no joy though.

Any other suggestions? What is it trying to load that it cannot find or cannot load due to missing dependency? The interesting thing is that the channel preview works perfectly from the MP2 TV configuration.

I'm also a software engineer so I might go have a look through the code on GitHub.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm also a software engineer so I might go have a look through the code on GitHub.
    In this case we can get more into details ;)

The exceptions come from this place: https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...layers/VideoPlayer/TsVideoPlayer.cs#L106-L109. There is tried to load the TsReader.ax from filesystem and add it to graph. It's a DirectShow filter written in C++, that's why I pointed to VCredists.

As next you should check the filter C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Client\Plugins\VideoPlayers\TsReader.ax with the http://www.dependencywalker.com/ tool, it lists all dependencies and highlights missing ones.

hol353

Portal Member
    May 5, 2009
    Home Country
    That was quick. Thanks for the prompt response.

Dependency walker says it is missing:

MFC120U.DLL
    MSVCP120.DLL
    MSVCR120.DLL

Which VC redist should these belong to?

hol353

Portal Member
    May 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Ok I have it sorted. Thanks for your tips on doing a dependency walk on TsReader.ax. This led me to the eventual solution.

It seems that my clean install of Windows 7 64bit didn't have C:\Windows\SysWOW64 in the path which is where VC 2013 32bit files reside. I added this and rebooted but it still didn't work. Windows Update then popped up to do yet more updates this time for IE 11 install. After a reboot this has fixed it.

I'm still not totally sure what caused this. It seems unlikely that IE11 would make that much of a difference but I know Internet Explorer is almost part of Windows i.e. not just a browser.

The other thing I did was to manually register TsReader.ax with RegSvr32 after IE11 so this may have fixed it as well.

Anyway I'm happy it works.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    (y)
    thanks for reporting back

The other thing I did was to manually register TsReader.ax with RegSvr32
    This is not required for MP2, but it doesn't hurt either. MP2 loads all filters from file, so you can have different versions of a filter (in contrast to registered ones)

EW Thomas

Portal Pro
    January 5, 2016
    Southwestern Virginia
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I am having the same exact problem. I have removed and reinstalled the 3 VC redistributables with no joy nor video :) There is no player registered to play media item "live3-0.ts.tsbuffer" is the error shown on the notification page
    Basically I have removed and reinstalled everything several times with nothing working in my favor.
    Member Brownard recommended morpheus-xx to take a look at the logs and see if a determination can be made...so I'm reaching out to
    morpheus for assistance :)

Thanks

EW Thomas

Portal Pro
    January 5, 2016
    Southwestern Virginia
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have a little better news to report today on the no play situation. Since the last post I have been able to get things working really close to normal.
    Strangely the steps I took to get this going made not too much sense...but here they are.. 1 I updated my version of Win7 to SP1 I had neglected to update previously apparently.
    2 I installed IE 11...This is the odd part but it is the final step that was required for proper operation!

I had previously installed the missing DLL's and had trouble obtaining a 64 bit version of one of them . I'm guessing it's as I have began to believe " IE has more Windows functions than just a browser" I did have some corrupted channel tuning data which happened as other satellite's transponders were scanned in, the correct data was over written with data that was totally bogus but obtained during the scan. I fought that sort of thing with MP1.15 and never really found a fix except to manually correct the data as required.

Anyway MP2 seems much more robust than MP1 and also more feature rich! The developers have certainly out done themselves !

I do have a quick question concerning the EPG here in North America. I get my data from Schedules Direct and I have noticed they now have a plug in available.
    Does anyone know if this will function correctly with the data and aliases I have selected to get my EPG data populated without too much interaction from me?

Thanks to everyone who took time to delve into the data and offer suggestions! This is mainly in this thread https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/tv-not-displaying.134998/page-3#post-1196198

Thanks once again to all ! I greatly appreciate the help and guidance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom