[solved] Cannot play modules music (1 Viewer)

elz

Portal Member
August 20, 2014
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hi, everytime I try to play a .mod, s3m, xm and so on, MediaPortal tell me : Unable to play : foor.bar.
If I select twice the same file the "Now playing" menu appear, telling that the "Track info not available", the correct song lenght is displayed but it dont play. The modules extension are registered in mediaplayer configuration. I did try bass engine and wasapi. Settings exclusive or not. Did try to change the settings on the soundcard (allow exclusive, setting the shared sample rate to the one bass stream samplerate). I did try to change some of the .dll from unseen, didnt help and they already seem to be the latest. In Codecs and Renderer I did try to change de audio renderer to "MediaPortal - Audio Renderer" and fiddle with the settings here but without any luck.

Here is what on the MediaPortal-Error.log
[2014-08-17 17:20:43,699] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - BASS: Error attaching stream to mixer. BASS_ERROR_DECODE

I was able to reproduce this problem on mediaportal 1.7, 1.8 and 1.9 on windows 7 x86, 8.1 x64 and 8.1 x86 on 5 different computers. I have a good collection of modules and no one work. They play without a probleme using xmplay and same soundcard settings as mediaportal.:confused:

I post a full log maybe will someone be so kind and take a look.

Regards

Last edited:

elz

Portal Member
August 20, 2014
Home Country
Canada Canada
On the very same machine WMP and XBMC can render modules via software, MP just wont. Can someone confirm this problem or is it just me that's going completely mad?! I cannot be the only one that want to use MP to browse its "amiga" music collection with unseen bass.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It looks like BASS simply can't decode these files. I get the same error. You could try the internal DirectShow player... though that also failed for me.

Tag to @hwahrmann who might know more.

Prepare yourself for the possibility that nothing can be done to make them work...

elz

Portal Member
    August 20, 2014
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks hwahrmann, I'll look forward to hear of your testing.

mm1352000 I'm very glad you did some testing too and tagged a developper. I beleive BASS should play tracker music. Take a look at the unseen web site. I had the idea to play tracker music with MP when I saw the extension (.mod, .s3m, .xm...) in the supported file format of mediaportal configuration. There is a post on the forum that I cannot find right now of someone having to register the extensions in media portal configuration to view then successfully play those files, I beleive it is done by default now.
    Those links tend to make you beleive that it is possible too, but they are quite old.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/problem-with-pureaudio-and-amiga-modules.72468/
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-based-on-ffdshow-dxva-decoder.77591/page-236

I often hear about SAF when I search about playing tracker music. Maybe that's the missing link? I have no clue what SAF is, I'll do some research.

Pog

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 7, 2009
    Wicklow
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    I use WinAmp for my music playback through MP and this handles everything I can throw at it. You can enable WinAmp support via MP config, there are also some addition settings for filetypes in there that you may need to adjust. Once set up you get MP's nice interface and WinAmp will play in the background.

elz

Portal Member
    August 20, 2014
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi Pog, thanks for the idea. But my understanding is that when you use an external player you lose visualisation and I'm a fan of the excellent visualisation pack that you can install with MP. Also to have winamp playback modules allrights you need a lib like modplug or bass, then it look like a big ugly patch.

MediaPortal BASS library can decode modules no problems, it just fail to attach the stream to the mixer. Maybe there is something that can do in that matter.

Pog

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 7, 2009
    Wicklow
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    But my understanding is that when you use an external player you lose visualisation

I use WinAmp for vis modules too and set up a button on the remote to switch to the them.

hwahrmann is the right dev for looking into it on MP but you may need to wait for an fix with MP.

elz

Portal Member
    August 20, 2014
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Pog : My guess is that it is supposed to work but this feature got broken somewhat and as it not very popular so nobody complained. That's why I wanted to know if people got the same problem as me, it appear that yes. Maybe there is a depository of old version of MP so I could try very old version and upgrade until I pinpoint on what version this feature stopped working and validate my theory. I'll give feedback about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom