Cannot Shutdown Xp / Minimise MP with TV (1 Viewer)

m.standish

Portal Pro
July 9, 2006
Wakefield
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Couple of minor issues, win xp wont shut down when MP is either running or in tray, ive gotta close down MP first, suggestions/fixes?

And when tv is playing when i minimise/close MP, MP stays on the screen but kind of as a background, i can access all my desktop icons but cannot see them till i hover over them and the icons graphics refresh, any ideas?

Both problems have been ongoing on a few installations of both xp and MP, currently on XP Sp2 (clean install) & MP 0.2.0.0 (also encountered on 0.2.0.4)

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
MP is not designed to be on a non-dedicated machine. It can work in a non-dedicated machine all right, but using the machine for something else while MP is running is out of the scope of the program (and I even agree).

Your second problem probably has something to do with dedicated DX mode for MP and you trying to use it with alt-tab without in fact having it in a window.

m.standish

Portal Pro
July 9, 2006
Wakefield
Home Country
but surely its a problem if i cant shut down windows with MP running fullscreen or minimised, Means I cant put pc into standby or anything.

Why wont windows close down the process?

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
well in fact I can close Windows with MP running - I can even press power button to let shutdown start - most probably your computer won't have a problem shuting down or going to stand-by if MP itself instructs it so (as it is supposed to happen in an HTPC)

m.standish

Portal Pro
July 9, 2006
Wakefield
Home Country
Thanks for the fix with DX and TV, Works a treat now. been bugging me 4 ages!!

Not been using the shutdown commands in MP, usually start,shutdown.
Ive been running it as a normal pc but ive just triple booted!! (gaming, Pc, HTPC - EXTREMELY cut down, XPlite ect) lol so ill give it a try.

Still would have thought windows should be able to close the MP process though

Q: what does the dedicated htpc option actually do???

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
I am not sure what you mean with your question.
MP is meant to be run as a dedicated HTPC - it doesn't do anything different when you do that, it is supposed to be run like that anyway.

My question is exactly the opposite; why use MP if you don't plan to have a dedicated HTPC solution? (if you are not planning to do that, various media and TV players are fine as stand alone programs... why use MP?)

m.standish

Portal Pro
July 9, 2006
Wakefield
Home Country
No, when you run setup from within MP it asks whether you will be using it on a dedicated PC or with other programs, I cant work out the difference when you change the option.

Oh and why use MP. Err cos it looks fantastic and does everything and more all in one place, and it works with a remote but to name a few.

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
I am not sure of the difference either. I don't even remember the option.

You are not using SVN right?

(fill in your system configuration btw)

m.standish

Portal Pro
July 9, 2006
Wakefield
Home Country
No not using SVN, its been in the option afaik since about 0.2 RC2.
Go to setting>general, its in the second screen. God knows LOL

Cheers bout the sys profile, i did update it but didnt tick the show option, never noticed!!!

Cant believe its taken me almost 2 full days to import all my media and set up MP Properly!!!, still not finnished remote to set up yet :eek:( and fix my tv shows!!! does it ever end!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom