2thor

Portal Pro
November 1, 2009
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
After windows update my pc crashed while loading MP,
and now I am not able to start MP!

Error message in english think will be:

"Program cannot start, because side by side configuration is wrong: Further info in eventlogfile.

Thanks for any help how to solve this!

Attachments

• mp.jpg
    mp.jpg
    44.3 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi 2thor

Make sure you have installed the appropriate Visual C++ redistributables from Microsoft. For MP 1.1.x I think you need VC++ 2008. MP 1.2.x requires VC++ 2008 *and* VC++ 2010...

mm

2thor

Portal Pro
    November 1, 2009
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi mm

Thanks for your advice!

Sorry for the missing log, but I am are not able to run the debug mode as well!
    If try I get a semilar error message, about wrong side by side config.

Running MP1.1.3 on vista.

This is what I find in the eventlogfile:
    Activation Context generation failed for "C: \ Program Files \ Team MediaPortal \ MediaPortal \ MediaPortal.exe". There is an error in manifest or policy file "C: \ Program Files \ Team MediaPortal \ MediaPortal \ MediaPortal.exe.Config" in line 0th Invalid Xml syntax.

Added pic of installed C++

Had same issue a few month ago, and ended up reinstalling MP, but think it could be useful to maybe know what has happened?

Attachments

• mp1.jpg
      mp1.jpg
      42.1 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

No worries about the logs - I guessed that would be the case. You should be able to install the correct VC++ redistributable from -->here<-- (linked in our requirements page, system components tab) without needing to reinstall MP. Make sure you use the x86 one even if your OS is 64 bit. You would probably need to restart the PC after install before MP would start working again.

Note: it doesn't hurt to reinstall the VC++ redistributable even if it is already installed.

If that doesn't work, try going through the list of system components and required updates in the requirements page and reinstall them.

Had same issue a few month ago, and ended up reinstalling MP, but think it could be useful to maybe know what has happened?
    The Windows update obviously did something - maybe unregistered some DLLs. This sometimes happens...

[Edit: I've attached my MediaPortal.exe.config file. You might want to compare it with the one in your MediaPortal installation directory.]

Attachments

• MediaPortal.exe.config.zip
      384 bytes

2thor

Portal Pro
    November 1, 2009
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi again!

Thanks, will try reinstall VC++ litte later!

Just compared your file to mine, and to me its really strange, because mine is completely empty?!

Can I use yours for test, or do you still think VC++ install will do the trick?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just compared your file to mine, and to me its really strange, because mine is completely empty?!
    Well that is strange! :confused:

Can I use yours for test, or do you still think VC++ install will do the trick?
    Anything is worth a try! :D
    Note that I changed the version number in mine from 1.2.0.0 to 1.1.3.0. I'm not 100% certain that is correct for MP 1.1.3, however I guess it must be something like that.

mm

2thor

Portal Pro
    November 1, 2009
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Just replaced your exe.config file with my empty one, and MP is really working again :)!

Think really strange, but nice to know if it happens again!

Not sure if I will blame the win update for this, after rebooting the update MP had nearly finished loading, when the pc for some reason crashed.
    (I suspect my 5 ext. usb harddrives for sometimes causing win to crash)

Thanks again for your support!

Thor

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well - that is the first time I've ever seen that problem so I'll keep this thread in mind for the future. You might want to take a backup of that file. ;)

Best regards,
    mm

mlipman

Portal Member
    January 11, 2005
    I had the same issue & the config file fixed it.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom