cannot tune one set of channels (1 Viewer)

mrkaras

Portal Pro
December 9, 2006
Home Country
all of a sudden my setup has sopped receiving any channel 9 based channel. there should be various attempts in the log file. I retuned (did the scan thing in the card in TV server setup) and now it works, that would be fine but this isn't the first time it has happened, how do I stop it breaking again?

Also wondering why I keep seeing a timshifting channel by scheduler {some number} is this related to me recently setting cards to pause rather then stop? will is cause issues (like not being able to turn the PC off)?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

all of a sudden my setup has sopped receiving any channel 9 based channel. there should be various attempts in the log file.
    There are indeed various attempts starting at about 10:41AM.

I retuned (did the scan thing in the card in TV server setup) and now it works, that would be fine but this isn't the first time it has happened, how do I stop it breaking again?
    Well, to figure out how to "stop it breaking", you first have to figure out what is/was "broken".

You have 3 tuners.
    Tuner 4 is the ASUS USB tuner.
    Tuners 8 and 9 are the DigitalNow Dual Hybrid.

Looking back through your log files, I can see that tuner 4 is your only tuner that is able to tune the 9/GEM/GO! frequency. TV Server tries to use tuners 8 and/or 9 first when they're available, but they always fail to lock on signal. You've probably noticed tuning 9/GEM/GO! is sluggish, and that's why.

The reason you weren't able to tune 9/GEM/GO! today is simply because tuner 4 - your only tuner that can tune those channels - was unavailable.

How do you fix that?
    Well, nothing is actually broken. If you don't want this to happen again, my recommendation would be that you figure out why your other 2 tuners aren't able to tune 9/GEM/GO!.

Also wondering why I keep seeing a timshifting channel by scheduler {some number}
    Usually "scheduler{some number}" is TV Server performing a recording.
    I don't know why a scheduler would be timeshifting.

is this related to me recently setting cards to pause rather then stop?
    The scheduler thing is completely unrelated.
    By the way: that kind of change is exactly the sort of thing that could have caused tuners 8 and 9 to be unable to tune 9/GEM/GO!. In my experience pause should only be used for a handful of tuners, and I don't think yours are among them. It is far more likely to cause problems than make tuning any faster.

will is cause issues (like not being able to turn the PC off)?
    Nobody can answer this question for you, because the effect of pause varies from tuner to tuner and setup to setup.
    Let me put it this way: there is a reason why "stop" is the default. You should not use "pause" except as a last resort for a slow tuning problem that can't be solved any other way.

Regards,
    mm

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    I now switched back to stop but haven't restarted the server yet so I'll see how that goes. BTW here is a screenshot showing that the tuner can in fact tune channel nine, and shows the scheduled time shifting.
    upload_2015-6-23_18-47-3.png

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    BTW here is a screenshot showing that the tuner can in fact tune channel nine
    ...but look at the signal quality and discontinuities. If you were actually viewing TV, you'd be seeing pixellation, stuttering etc. I think your signal strength/quality is marginal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom