Can't connect to SQL host (1 Viewer)

Bayern boy

June 4, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm trying to install MediaPortal on my HP Pavilion 64bit i7, Windows 7 home, 8GB ram and 1 terabyte HD. a Ceton 6 tuner card.
Everything seems to install well until the MySQL. When I run the test it says it can't connect to any SQL host.
I've installed and uninstalled everything twice. No luck.

I ignored the issue and launched MP and the main screen comes up and when I click on the TV tile I get a little side menu but I can access it, so I'm dead in the water.

What can I do? I've been running MS Media Center for two years with the Ceton 6 tuner card and all works well.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    When I run the test it says it can't connect to any SQL host.
    Do you mean at the end of installation, like this:
    upload_2015-6-6_16-13-57.png

...or do you mean in MediaPortal configuration here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...tion/MediaPortal_Configuration/22_TV#TV/Radio

If you mean at the end of the installation, did you do a standard or advanced install?
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ions#Installation_Mode:_One_Click_vs_Advanced

...and if you did an advanced mode installation, what option did you select here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...2_Advanced_Installation#Database_Server_(SQL)

Bayern boy

June 4, 2015
    Home Country
    It's the first one, When I click on the TEST button it says it can't connect to an SQL host.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, thanks.
    Did you run the installer with admin privileges (right click, run as admin)?

Can you please open Windows task manager and check whether the mysqld.exe process is running. You may need to enable the "show processes for all users" option depending what version of Windows you're using and what account you're logged into.

If you can't see the mysqld.exe process in task manager, please open the Windows service list. To do this:
    • On W7 and older, click "start", type "services.msc" in the text box, and press enter.
    • On W8 and newer, go to the start screen, type "services.msc", and press enter.
    Scroll down the list and try to find MySQL. It may be named "MySQL5" or "MySQL56". Either way, that's the one you're looking for.

Once you find the MySQL service, please check what state it is in (stopped or running).

If the service is stopped (ie. the database is not running)...
    This explains why TV Server can't connect to the database.
    Try to start the service by clicking "start" in the left hand pane (or right click and select start).

If the service fails to start, I suspect you may not have installed with admin privileges... or perhaps security software is preventing it from starting. It's a bit hard to tell you exactly what to do to fix it. If it were me, I would uninstall MediaPortal and MySQL (use the Windows control panel to do this), then try to reinstall... making sure you run the installer with admin privileges this time (right click run as admin). If this still fails and you have 3rd party security software installed (anti-virus, firewall etc.), you could try uninstalling and reinstalling again with the security software [temporarily] disabled.

Bayern boy

June 4, 2015
    Home Country
    I don't know how to do the install in Admiin.
    I went into task manager and found TVservic and MySQL. They were both stopped I right clicked on "stopped" for TVservices and it went to start then back to stopped. For MySQL I got a popup window that said it could not find the file.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't know how to do the install in Admiin.
    I told you exactly what to do:
    run the installer with admin privileges this time (right click run as admin)

What do you not understand about this instruction?

I went into task manager and found TVservic and MySQL. They were both stopped I right clicked on "stopped" for TVservices and it went to start then back to stopped.
    TV service can't start because it requires MySQL to be running. If MySQL can't start then TV service will always fail to start.

For MySQL I got a popup window that said it could not find the file.
    Which file?

Bayern boy

June 4, 2015
    Home Country
    After checking in the control panel - and looking at my account, I am the only user and have full administrative rights.
    Below is what I get when I click on the word stopped and tell it to start the service.
    I have tried to do what you said but I do not see where I am able to right click on any run install button.

Capture.JPG

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I am the only user and have full administrative rights.
    Unfortunately this is not sufficient. Windows has confusing meanings/rights for administrators.

Below is what I get when I click on the word stopped and tell it to start the service.
    Okay, thanks.
    I have no idea what that error means. MySQL is a third party database system. Usually it just works. When it doesn't, it's tough to know what to do or say... because like you, we're not MySQL experts. We simply bundle MySQL into our installer so TV Server can use it [for storing channels, schedules, settings, EPG etc.].

I guess you'll have to do the full uninstall of MediaPortal and MySQL through control panel as previously suggested, then try to reinstall with admin privileges. On that point...

I have tried to do what you said but I do not see where I am able to right click on any run install button.
    It is really simple.
    When you go to start the MediaPortal installer: instead of double-clicking on it (or whatever you normally do to start it), right click on it and click "run as administrator".
    You do this to start the installer. It is not a button or anything within the installer itself.
    This is a Windows thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom