[Bug] Can't delete scheduled recording after EPG change (1 Viewer)

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Firstly, sorry for not having logs on this one, but I think it is reproducable and a real bug so I thought it worth posting. being an idiot, I inavertantly deleted the logs whilst trying to fault-find the problem.

The problem:

If a programme is set to record every week at the same time and the broadcaster decides to not broadcast the show for one week (for example due to a sporting event), it is impossible to delete the recording schedule for the week where the sporting event is being broadcast.

Example:
    - Weekly recording for 1 hour every Thursday at 20:00 hrs on BBC One HD.
    - BBC choose to show Eurovision Song Contest on BBC One HD on one fo the Thursdays, spanning 19:00 hrs to 22:00 hrs.
    - The EPG shows the Eurovision Song Contest correctly with a half filled (diagonally) shading to indicate that only part of that EPG entry is scheduled to record (nice feature by the way).
    - When recording starts it records the whole of the Eurovision Song Contest, not just the one hour section where the scheduled recording was set (this is not really a problem as it covers the worst case of a double length episode being broadcast so it probably a positive feature).
    - Any attempt to delete that scheduled recording fails (and I do mean ANY attempt. The only way to delete it is by doing it manaually using the TV Server Config).

I presume it might be possible to test this by manually editing an EPG xml file to simulate the above senario???

Robbo100

MediaPortal Version: 1.1.2.0
    MediaPortal Skin: X-Factor
    Windows Version: XP SP3
    CPU Type: Intel E7400
    HDD: 700 GB on 2 drives (3 volumes) locally with 1GB FreeNAS
    Memory: 2 GB DDR2
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP41-UD3L
    Video Card: NVIDIA 9400GT
    Video Card Driver: NVIDIA 195.81
    Sound Card: Onboard REALTEK
    Sound Card AC3: SPDIF Optical Out
    Sound Card Driver: Latest
    1. TV Card: Pinnacle 300i
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    1. TV Card Driver: Latest
    2. TV Card: Compro Videomate S350
    2. TV Card Type: DVB-S
    2. TV Card Driver: Latest
    3. TV Card: Hauppague WinTV HD S2
    3. TV Card Type: DVB-S2
    3. TV Card Driver: Latest
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink 10
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
    h.264 Video Codec: Cyberlink 10
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: UK Freesat
    HTPC Case: Bog standard PC case with wires running through the wall to lounge
    Cooling:
    Power Supply:
    Remote: Cyberlink cheapo
    TV: LG 47LE5300 LCD LED
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    This is working for me. The misses has setup an every time on this channel schedule for Waterloo Road. BBC have however started repeating this in the middle of the night. I am able to go in and cancel individual episodes as part of a schedule without issue. Going to the recording screen and selecting don't record I get the cancel this episode or complete schedule options in a pop up. How are you attempting to delete an episode?

The fact it recorded the whole program is by design. Basically time based schedules simply look at the time and day. It will use that info to retrieve the program details from the guide and then record it. If you have a program set to record 21:00 till 22:00 and it gets replaced with two programs from 21:00 => 21:30 and 21:30 => 22:00 then IIRC it will actually record both by default.

You may also want to look at the new weekly on this channel schedule. This takes program name into account so if you schedule a weekly on this channel schedule for something on a Monday it will record that program each Monday (and takes into account if it is shifted back 30 mins etc). When the program is not on (series ends or a sporting event means it gets pulled for a week) then it will not record.

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Just a couple of notes:

• Timed recording record the exact scheduled time (plus any pre/post record time that may have been set). It only looks at the EPG at the time the recording starts to determine the recording title/filename.
    • You may not be able to delete the recording from TV Guide because it does not match any EPG time-slot but you can always go to Scheduled Recordings and delete it from there: just switch to Series view, select the schedule and bring up the context menu -> Delete this entire schedule

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Hi Jameson,

The bug (if it is one), is against the very specific case where the revised programme in the EPG is much longer than the original programme (which is why I gave Eurovision or a sporting event as an example).

If I have a 1 hour long programme set to record weekly and the broadcaster replaces it with another 1 hour long programme when the series ends, I am always able to delete the recording (i.e. as per your example of Waterloo Road). However, if the programme is replaced by a longer programme (i.e. the start and/or finish times of the new programme are outside the bounds of the previously scheduled recording) then it is not possible to delete/stop recording of the longer programme.

I hope this is clearer.

arion_p

•You may not be able to delete the recording from TV Guide because it does not match any EPG time-slot but you can always go to Scheduled Recordings and delete it from there: just switch to Series view, select the schedule and bring up the context menu -> Delete this entire schedule

I agree, but if there is a sporting event in the middle of a scheduled series and the broadcaster has a 1 week holiday for your programme, then you have to cancel the entire series, and then set it back up again, rather than just cancelling that single episode.

Robbo100

P.S. I can't believe you let your missus watch Waterloo Road on such a nice HTPC setup. :D

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    P.S. I can't believe you let your missus watch Waterloo Road on such a nice HTPC setup. :D
    I am away with work during the week at the minute and now with added DVB-T2 all the HD channels are on the same transponder so I still get to record what I want :p

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    ok this laptop has EPG but no TV card and I am at work...

I just added an every day at this time schedule for Ugly Betty on E4 +1 16:30 => 17:30.

This has added
    Thu: Ugly Betty 16:25 => 17:25
    Ugly Betty 17:25 => 18:25
    Fri: Ugly Betty 16:25 => 17:2
    Ugly Betty 17:25 => 18:25
    Sat: Holyoaks 14:20 => 16:55
    Made In Chelsea 16:55 => 18:00
    Sun Jo Frost's Extreme Parental Advice 16:00 => 17:00
    Memoirs of an invisible man 17:00 => 19:00

I was able to go in and delete all the odd episodes individually without issue.

The only scenario I could not find is where the program starts before and ends after the original schedule.

I went back and added an every day at this time schedule on Gilmore Girls on Friday something like 16:00 => 16:30
    This then picked up Holyoaks on Saturday which started before and finished afterwards.

Again I was able to cancel that "episode"

I am fairly sure most of the logic behind the every day at this time and every week at this time is the same so there should not be an issue there...........

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi,

I tried with the same schedule as Mike - Ugly Betty, E4+1, record every day at this time and got the same schedules as Mike.

First thing to note, this is an 'every day at this time' schedule, and does not care WHAT is on, it just looks at the start and end time based on the program you selected.

For example, if I go to the EPG for Saturday, you see the first screenshot, with the indication that part of two programs will be recorded.

If you then go to 'schedules' you can see that for Saturday, part of two programs will be recorded. If you select one of them, you can cancel it without cancelling the entire schedule.

Similarly you can select it from the EPG and cancel it.

However, there is a bug - the highlighting from the EPG does not get removed.

Mike - can you confirm this?

Mark

Attachments

• sat.jpg
      sat.jpg
      136.1 KB
    • scheduled.jpg
      scheduled.jpg
      14.9 KB
    • cancel.jpg
      cancel.jpg
      73.1 KB

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Incidentally, the second point Robbo100 made seems to apply.

While it should only record the time given, and should produce a single recording, the 'schedules' list does seem to suggest that it will produce two recordings, each for the full time.

This needs checking.

Edit: the schedules list in TV server config looks sensible. I have set a schedule based on a 15 minute program. We will know in a few days if it only records 15 minutes (+ pre/post record time) or the whole program when the program is longer. The I will try again for a case with overlapping programs and see what I get. I suspect it will be fine, although this does not agree with robbo's experinece.

Mark

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    All,

Thanks for all looking into this (especially considering my stupidity regarding the logs :oops:).

Taking the point that the "recording highlight" is not being removed, it may go some way to explain what I might have been seeing.

I am running a client / server setup so is there any chance that the link between the client is less optimal that might cause this????

To be honest, I hadn't thought of using a daily record option to test this problem, so I will have a look at it myself tonight and see if I can re-create.

One thing to note is that once the recording in question had started, I deleted the TV recording as it was still recording (which you would usually expect a prompt to say that the current recording will be lost and scheduled record stopped). In this event, the recording was deleted and recording stopped, but the recording then re-started immediately.

I did try to cancel the episode schedule loads of times before the recording started. Is it possible that these attempts to cancel the show (due to the "recording highlight" in the EPG not changing) could have created a number of individuals for the same programme?

Robbo100

P.S I have just realised that I won't get a reply for a while as you are all watching Waterloo Road at the moment! :D

---------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

OK,

I have had a play and I can confirm the problem with the EPG Record status not bring removed when you cancel the future show (under the conditions I described earlier with the longer duration programme being broadcast - e.g on a weekend).

Furthermore, if you delete the entire schedule once a recording has already started, even though the whole schedule is correctly deleted and all future episodes seem to change recording status in the EPG back to "not recording" the programme currently recording stops, but the EPG recording status is never removed (for that episode only)

Finally, another minor issue: if I have a daily schedule set and it is currently recording, if I try to delete an individual show in the future (not the one actually currently recording, but one on the weekend when the actual programme of interest is not on), MP brings up the dialogue box saying "DELETE THIS RECORDING? THIS SCHEDULE IS RECORDING. IF YOU DELETE THE SCHEDULE THEN THE RECORDING IS STOPPED. ARE YOU SURE? YES/NO". However this is the wrong dialogue since cancelling a show in the future will not cause the current show to stop recording (and doesn't in the test I did).

From paying around just now, I think my initial bug report may have been the knock on effect of getting in a loop of trying to cancel a show that wasn't actually set (but looked like it was because of the EPG recording status due to the top two problems at the top of this post), and inadvertently setting a new schedule by mistake.

Robbo100

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom