[duplicate] Can't delete TV recording while it is playing (1 Viewer)

theRat

May 30, 2013
Home Country
Australia Australia
As of MP 1.4.0 Pre-Release you can no longer delete a recording while it is playing. To replicate play a recording and press escape to get back to the list of recodings and delete the currently playing recording. A popup error gets displayed (Error - Could not delete TV recording - <recording title>).

Simon

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    As of MP 1.4.0 Pre-Release you can no longer delete a recording while it is playing. To replicate play a recording and press escape to get back to the list of recodings and delete the currently playing recording. A popup error gets displayed (Error - Could not delete TV recording - <recording title>).

Simon

Are you sure that this worked before? To be honest, this is pretty sensible. What if someone is watching the recording on one network client, and someone else tries to delete it? I would say that the correct behaviour is to not allow the recording to be deleted.

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I'm pretty sure that the correct behaviour is not logs full of errors...

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    I'm pretty sure that the correct behaviour is not logs full of errors...

True. We need to decide what the correct behaviour is, and then ensure that MP knows why it can't delete a recording and logs the problem appropriately.

theRat

May 30, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I do believe this is the same as the other report, but I wanted to provide proper logs with system info.

In all previous versions it was possible to delete a playing recording. I am using a single tv server/mediaportal setup so in that configuration it makes sense. The usage scenario where this becomes really annoying is when you watch a recording and once the program finishes (ie. in post record somewhere) you hit the esc key and then want to delete it the recording as you are done with it.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    I do believe this is the same as the other report, but I wanted to provide proper logs with system info.

In all previous versions it was possible to delete a playing recording. I am using a single tv server/mediaportal setup so in that configuration it makes sense. The usage scenario where this becomes really annoying is when you watch a recording and once the program finishes (ie. in post record somewhere) you hit the esc key and then want to delete it the recording as you are done with it.

I have certainly seen the situation previously where one PC was playing a recording, and I accidentally tried to delete it on another and got a warning that the recording could not be deleted.

Perhaps it is sensible to be able to delete a recording that is playing on the same machine, or at least to present a confirmation dialog.

Ultimately, MP should know what is the correct behaviour and the logging and information presented to the user should reflect this.

I always prefer to err on the side of caution. It isn't so hard to press 'stop' before deleting.

theRat

May 30, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Is it difficult to detect that the machine that is playing has decided to delete the recording? I would think on a single seat setup that being able to delete should be allowed (as every previous version did). In a multi seat setup I can see your point, but the error message is not very informative for that situation and also takes about 5 seconds before it is presented.

ramu

Portal Pro
    July 15, 2008
    Hi,

I posted the dublicated thread. I belive it's good to go back to normal (old) behavior. While sorting and cleaning films it's quite good to be able to delete a playback also when it's running. For e.g. I check dublicated recordings for there content and than I delete on of them on the fly...

So please fix this bug and go back to the former behavior.

Thx

ramu

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom