Operating System Can't engage pro logic when windows is set to 5.1 via hdmi (1 Viewer)

allanp81

Portal Pro
October 24, 2006
As the thread title suggests, I'm having issues with Windows set to 5.1 speakers config.

My HTPC is connected with an hdmi lead to a Yahama AV receiver via a geforce gtx 660. This amp is then connected via an hdmi cable to my sony lcd tv.

If I configure windows to have 5.1 speakers it all works correctly, ie. the right test sound comes from the correct speaker.

If I play back a film or tv from within MP that has a dolby digital or dts soundtrack then it works correctly as well and bitstreams to my receiver. If I playback something that is a 2.0 channel mp3 or aac file (tv or music) it just comes out of the speakers in stereo and won't allow me to change my amp to any kind of surround processing.

If I configure windows to just have 2.0 speakers then everything works as I would expect but it then means modern games are only outputting in 2.0 with processing rather than in 5.1 (if supported).

In the past I'd got round this problem and had windows set to 5.1 speakers and everything worked as I would expect.

Does anyone know how to get everything to output as I want? Is there some way I have to effectively bitstream tv and music so that they only send a 2.0 bitstream that I can then enable processing on?

Vasilich

Portal Pro
August 30, 2009
Germany, Mayence
Home Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
so what is the problem for your receiver not to enable effects for stereo input?
what audio decoder do you use? what settings concerning bitstreaming and encoding do you set in audio decoder?

allanp81

Portal Pro
October 24, 2006
When I set Windows to output only in stereo, the amp detects it as a PCM stereo source and then allows me apply processing such as pro logic, dts neo etc.

If I configure windows to output 5.1, the amp shows the source as PCM 5.1. This is fine for games but for something stereo like watching tv I then can't engage any kind of surround processing as the amp is getting a 5.1 signal as far as it's concerned. This means that the sound only comes out of the front 2 speakers.

When playing music I can get around his problem by using the wasapi playback and setting the configuration accordingly.

I've tried every way of setting up mediaportal that I can but nothing gets around this issue.

Vasilich

Portal Pro
August 30, 2009
Germany, Mayence
Home Country
If I play back a film or tv from within MP that has a dolby digital or dts soundtrack then it works correctly as well and bitstreams to my receiver.
that assumption is wrong according to
the amp shows the source as PCM 5.1
that means that you haven't configured bitstreaming in audio decoder, and decoder sends already decoded audio in digital form to the receiver.

and you haven't answer my previous questions yet.

allanp81

Portal Pro
October 24, 2006
My apologies, I use lavfilters with bitstreaming enabled for dolby digital, dts etc.

I've tried using the mediaportal audio renderer as well as not using this and same result both ways.

If I play back anything with dolby digital or dts then I amp switches accordingly and shows it is being decoded. If I play a game or normal tv (dvb-t and dvb-t2) it shows as PCM.

allanp81

Portal Pro
October 24, 2006
I can't explain it then or you're not understanding what I'm saying.

I'll try and draw a diagram or something :)

Vasilich

Portal Pro
August 30, 2009
Germany, Mayence
Home Country
then define what you mean under "amp switches accordingly and shows it is being decoded", post settings of LAV audio decoder (do not forget - these settings should be changed from Mediaportal config app, not via calling shortcuts from windows start button). Surely set windows speakers to 5.1, because this is the only option to get multichannel sound.

allanp81

Portal Pro
October 24, 2006
Drawing6.jpg
I mean my amp shows that is bitstreaming dolby digital or dts, depending on the source audio.

I get full 5.1 if it's bitstreaming even if I set windows to only be set up for 2 speakers.

I'm just drawing a diagram to hopefully explain the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom