Operating System Can't engage pro logic when windows is set to 5.1 via hdmi (2 Viewers)

Josh Welcher

June 21, 2017
Home Country
Canada Canada
Wow! This thread really came back from the dead. Thanks for all the info folks. Allan, I may have to try that AutoHotKeys fix as switching windows from 2.0 to 5.1 and vice versa solves my problem. I just can't be bothered to do it manually all the time. I will also try what JoeCrow suggested. Thanks again everyone!

allanp81

Portal Pro
October 24, 2006
Run, mmsys.cpl ; Run the sound device window
WinWait, Sound,
IfWinNotActive, Sound, , WinActivate, Sound,
WinWaitActive, Sound,
Send, {DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{ALTDOWN}c{ALTUP}
WinWait, Speaker Setup,
IfWinNotActive, Speaker Setup, , WinActivate, Speaker Setup,
WinWaitActive, Speaker Setup,
Send, {DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{ENTER}{ENTER}{ENTER}{ENTER}
WinWait, Sound,
WinWaitActive, Sound,
Send, {ENTER}
Run, c:\fraps\fraps.exe
Runwait, D:\Games\Steam\Steam.exe -bigpicture
Runwait, taskkill /im fraps.exe /f
Run, mmsys.cpl ; Run the sound device window
WinWait, Sound,
IfWinNotActive,
Sound, , WinActivate, Sound,
WinWaitActive, Sound,
Send, {DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{ALTDOWN}c{ALTUP}
WinWait, Speaker Setup,
IfWinNotActive, Speaker Setup, , WinActivate, Speaker Setup,
WinWaitActive, Speaker Setup,
Send, {UP}{UP}{UP}{UP}{ENTER}{ENTER}{ENTER}
WinWait, Sound,
WinWaitActive, Sound,
Send, {ENTER}

Josh Welcher

June 21, 2017
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hey Joecrow

I sat down to try this late last night and quickly realized I'm not quite sure how to do that. I'm going to give it a try soon though. I'm guessing I need to install LAV?

Josh Welcher

June 21, 2017
Home Country
Canada Canada
@joecrow
So, I just installed it, and I think this will do the trick... however, do you know if there is a way I can make this work with audio from streaming services in Google Chrome?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey Joecrow

I sat down to try this late last night and quickly realized I'm not quite sure how to do that. I'm going to give it a try soon though. I'm guessing I need to install LAV?
    LAV normally gets installed along with Media Portal and generally is the default/preferred video and audio codecs, You can get to the settings via the MP Config program then slect "Codecs and Renderer" click on the tools button shown in the attached screenshot and select the "Mixing" tab to get to the settings page as per the screenshot in my previous post.
    codec.jpg
    @joecrow
    So, I just installed it, and I think this will do the trick... however, do you know if there is a way I can make this work with audio from streaming services in Google Chrome?
    Not al all sure about Chrome as I don't use it and other than very rare occaisions I use the Online Videos plugin to play internet content from within Media Portal, so not an issue for me..

Toastemeister

January 5, 2018
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    I had to register as I've struggled with this and only recently fixed it and notice the answer was given earlier (and in the MP WIKI) but might be missed especially as I hit this thread multiple times when Googling this issue and I suspect others have too.

The issue is the windows Directsound API and the answer is to use WASAPI (or ASIO) wherever possible and leave the windows speaker configuration to 5.1. These settings are sometimes called exclusive mode audio and should be available in your media player sound output settings if supported (MP and KODI support it). Effectively when using WASAPI the player ignores the windows speaker configuration and sends what it has to the amp directly. This means all discrete 5.1 sources (DTS, Dolby) will work as discrete surround sound and any stereo material played by the player will be treated as such by the AV amplifier (applying prologic for example)..

All your other Windows applications will use Directsound unless specified and as such obey the Windows Speaker configuration. I address some situations below (Chrome, audio apps, games)

Chrome used to have a switch to enable WASAPI but is is currently broken ( google chrome enable-exclusive-audio). You could use an older version to fix this but newer versions have important security patches. Best to push Google to fix this.

Spotify hasn't WASAPI output ( a clone called Fidelify does ). If your media player has a Spotify plugin this can fix this issue too as it will use the output configured on the player. Other streamers vary. Tidal has WASAPI (called exclusive mode) buried in the output settings for example.

5.1 games will use Directsound and if you've the windows speakers set to 5.1 they will output 5.1 (see note below).

Stereo games (many titles) will also use Directsound output and if the speakers are set to 5.1 will fail to get the prologic treatment. Only switching to a 2 channel speaker configuration will fix this (forcing discrete 5.1 games to stereo prologic too until switched back). This at least limits the amount of times the speaker configuration needs to be changed to playing stereo games.

A final note... even if you've surround speakers at the side choose the speakers to the rear setup in windows. At least one game ( Wasteland 2 ) didn't recognise the surround speakers to the side setup as 5.1 and only allowed stereo in the output as a result. Potentially the opposite is true for other titles so try this if games don't give 5.1 output. If you've a 7.1 aware amp and have 5.1 speakers you can safely set windows to use 7.1 and the amp will downmix the rear channels to what you have so this can assist as well (though once again some games may not see the windows 7.1 output as a valid surround output). All of these issues surrounding games are just related to poor game programming or lack of implementation of discrete surround. Consoles mostly got around this by having surround sound as a requirement for games to be released on them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom