Can't find MP2 client settings? (1 Viewer)

LaoChe

Portal Member
June 24, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Update: I have the MP2 client installed now but I don't see any way to configure it. I backed up all of my info and completely unistalled MP2, rebooted my system and reinstalled as client + server. When I went to the configuration tool all of my old settings were still there so I didn't need to import them (which is odd since I made sure all of the folders were gone. I am not sure where those came from). Now I can run the client but I don't see any way to configure it. There are no client settings in the configuration tool. I would like to change the recordings menu so it shows episode names. The manual seems to indicate that this should be in the single configuration tool with the server configuration but it is not?

Thanks again.

Original Post: When I run the install .exe again my only options are repair, uninstall and close. I set up my server as a dedicated server but now I need to temporarily use it as a client also. I found some posts suggesting there were advanced options but only after reinstalling and that doesn't seem to be an option. I ran the repair but that didn't give me any options at all.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

LaoChe

Portal Member
June 24, 2014
Home Country
I have spent days assuming that I was just missing something but if so the documentation on this is really lacking - the documentation all says refer to the MP1 documentation for configuration but all of the forum posts say that there is now just one configuration tool and the client is configured there. So how come with a fresh install the config program it is titled server config and there are not client or gui options to change? I have a screenshot here so you can see what I am seeing. My eyesight isn't great but this shouldn't be this hard.

upload_2016-5-28_20-49-22.png

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The client setup happens from within the client. Launch MP on the client and look for setup there in the GUI.

The TV setup is a legacy of MP1...

LaoChe

Portal Member
    June 24, 2014
    Home Country
    Thank you so much. This helps. At least I know the problem is not with my installation. So how do I get to the "Show episode info" setting then? Basically my problem is that I set up a show to record always on every channel ("The Simpsons"). The recording is working fine but in the recordings menu every show is listed as "The Simpsons" rather than the episode name (I did verify that the files include the episode name so I know the data is being captured from the guide).

I found one answer that suggested if I recorded the show as a "Series" it would list episode names but I didn't see any way in the recording schedule or from the Series menu to do that.

I have been a SageTV user for 10 years and I am so used to how simple this was. Apparently it is going to be steep learning curve so I apologize if these are dumb questions but I really did try to find the answers myself.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The recording is working fine but in the recordings menu every show is listed as "The Simpsons" rather than the episode name
    This is the correct behavior. Every show "The SImpsons" will be recorded. Actually the display of such elements is subject to the skin rather than a lacking functionality. I am not sure if the episode name could be added to the list display --> @ge2301 ? In any case you should be able to see the respective episode in the details of each recording.

I have been a SageTV user for 10 years and I am so used to how simple this was.
    Some stuff is still construction area. The way things are displayed will always depend on the skin that you have chosen. By the way, it would be good if you filled in your system details in your profile and set this to visible. Check out your profile information where you can add client/server description for your particular environment.

I apologize if these are dumb questions but I really did try to find the answers myself.
    Don't worry, there are no dumb questions. And it is certainly much appreciated that you try to find your way around yourself. However, don't try too long if you don't find quick answers. First address to llok for such would always be the WIki.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So how do I get to the "Show episode info" setting then?
    MP2 contains an in-built movie and series management. While it may not be perfect yet, it offers basic functionalities, including episode listing and fanart display. In order to let MP2 know about series, you will need to set a directory path for series (and movies), which you have probably already seen in the setup.

Series will be automatically recognized as such if stored in the respective directory and if named correctly. EPG information is often not that good that you could count on a 100% detection rate. If you cut your recordings you can as well name them correctly and store the file under the correct path. A possible directory tree structure could be NAS/Series/"Series name" with each file being named like Series name - 1x01 - episode title, whee 1x01 stands for season 1/episode 1.

Everybody has different ways of managing his or her recordings, however a complete automatic while leaving all recordings in their original directory without touching the recordings at all is IMHO unlikely to work. Note that you can set repetive recordings to comply with this file naming standard but this will always be dependetn on a good EPG quality.

LaoChe

Portal Member
    June 24, 2014
    Home Country
    OK. So I've set up a "Single" folder and a "Series" folder in my recording directory. In the Custom paths and filenames tab of the Recording settings I changed the directory for Series to \Series\%title%\[rest of filename info] so it will record each series in a unique folder. I have confirmed that they are recording correctly to that folder. Then in the client settings I set up 2 separate media sources, one called "Recorded Movies" that points to the "Single" folder and one called "Series" that points to the "Series" folder. But I still see all of the recordings in TV Recordings but nothing under Series. I don't really care if they are in Series or Recordings but my kids need to be able to scroll through episode names to find what they want. Any ideas for next steps to getting the series information to show up? Thanks again.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You will always see all recordings under TV recordings. In order to address the advanced movie you Ned to look for the respective entries movies and series in the GUI. If there is nothing visible then launch then force a manual import. Otherwise an updatebis run once a day, for which standard broken is set to sometimes around 2am (?), but that can be configured.

LaoChe

Portal Member
    June 24, 2014
    Home Country
    Just so I am clear... it sounds like if I get the folder structure and file names correct the built in functionality of MP2 should organize the series programs in the right place and show episode name/number - at least to the extent that the EPG data is correct.
    If I do have to rely on one or more external programs like tinymediamanager is it just a matter of updating the metadata or do I actually need to move the files to other folders?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom