Can't get Audio to play from my TV!!! -- SOLVED!! (1 Viewer)

luci5r

Portal Pro
May 30, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.2 Beta
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP 1.6.6
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
CPU Type: Intel Core i5-2500K (3.3Ghz)
HDD: Seagate 6.0Gb/s 2TB
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
Video Card: Intel HD 3000 (Sandy Bridge)
Video Card Driver: Intel HD 3000 (Sandy Bridge)
Sound Card: Intel HD 3000 (Sandy Bridge)
Sound Card AC3: SPDIF/Optical Out (Sandy Bridge)
Sound Card Driver: Intel HD 3000 (Sandy Bridge)
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Colossus
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: CoreAVC 2.5.5
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec: CoreAVC 2.5.5
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Comcast
HTPC Case: Rosewill Gear X3
Cooling:
Power Supply: Rosewill Green Series 630W
Remote: Hauppauge 45-Button
TV: Samsung PN63C8000 3D Plasma
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI 1.4a

I don't understand this! I have a "Sandy Bridge" based HTPC with a Gigabyte Z68 motherboard that has both HDMI capabilities and an SPDIF TOSLink Optical Out as well. If I set the system's default device to "SPDIF TOSLink" ... I get audio perfectly fine through my Reciever. However - If I set the systems default device to my HDMI (Samsung Intel Display Audio) ... I get sound out of my TV from any & every application / media play EXCEPT MediaPortal!! So what do I have to do get audio to play through my TV (instead of my reciever) using MediaPortal???

In the "Audio Renderer" in my MediaPortal Configuration I set "Samsung Intel Display Audio" as my audio renderer.

I can play the same video files in Windows Media Player or MPC and get audio from my TV ... however ... I get no sound if I play them in MediaPortal. One thing to note ... I can hear the GUI clicks that you get from the MediaPortal GUI ... like the clicks you hear when you're moving the menus etc. Those are fine! It's just ANY video file at all ... recorded TV, tv series, movies ... everything!! No audio through the TV!!!

Thanks.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: Can't get Audio to play from my TV!!!

Hi luci5r

I hope you're well! :)
    This seems to be a bit of a strange one. Could you please post logs so that we can double check your renderer settings and see what is actually being used when you attempt to play a video. Option 1 with the watchdog should be ideal...

mm

luci5r

Portal Pro
    May 30, 2011
    Home Country

Hi luci5r

I hope you're well! :)
    This seems to be a bit of a strange one. Could you please post logs so that we can double check your renderer settings and see what is actually being used when you attempt to play a video. Option 1 with the watchdog should be ideal...

mm

Hi mm,

This is definately a strange one!! I'm not that much a n00b with basic multimedia ... I'm really baffled as to why the PC will play all sounds from any software/media player through the TV ... and will even play MediaPortal GUI sounds (menu clicks, etc) ... but won't play media audio.

One other thing I can add ... I tried playing Webvideos like youtube etc. through MediaPortal ... and I could get the audio through the TV, no problems!! It is JUST the media that's not outputting audio through the TV.

Anyhow, the Logs are attached. Maybe you can spot something I cant

Thanks for helping!!

luci5r

Portal Pro
    May 30, 2011
    Home Country

mm (and all!) ... I have some updates:

On a hunch, I tried playing a whole lot of different files (with different Audio Codecs) and as it turns out, it's not ALL audio that is not playing through the TV via MediaPortal ... there are some Audio Codecs that are indeed playing; Therefore - this is NOT an Audio Renderer issue here, this is a Codec issue here.

For example, media with MP3 audio or AAC audio are playing absolutely fine through the TV.
    However, files with Dolby Digital, DTS, .ts files, don't play any Audio through the TV via MediaPortal. **These file DO PLAY audio if you play them in another media player (like WinTV 7) through the TV.

Here's the crazy thing ... with the exact same Audio Codecs selected - ALL & EVERYTHING plays perfectly fine if I choose Optical as my output (instead of TV) and pass the audio through the Reciever!!

This is just strange!! Why would I need to change the Audio Codecs if I have audio set to go through the TV rather then the Receiver??

Here's a snapshot of my current codec settings:

MP1.PNG

MP2.PNG

luci5r

Portal Pro
    May 30, 2011
    Home Country

M$ codecs will not play Dolby within a 3rd party player, you need to use mpc audio or nowadays we are considering adding LAV filters to MP by default.

LAV Filters - DirectShow Media Splitter and Decoders - Doom9's Forum

If I choose the MPC Audio ... will I still be able to get audio out of SPDIF/Optical when I choose that as my renderer?

The LAV Filters look interesting. If I download & install them from Doom9 ... would they appear in my MediaPortal Window & will I be able to choose them as my audio codecs??

Thanks - You're definitely on to this. I had no idea about this. I appreciate it.

M$ codecs will not play Dolby within a 3rd party player, you need to use mpc audio or nowadays we are considering adding LAV filters to MP by default.

LAV Filters - DirectShow Media Splitter and Decoders - Doom9's Forum

Ray - Wanted to let you know - it worked!! As soon as I switched my decoder to MPC instead of Microsoft, I started getting sound out of my TV - all video files - Dolby Digital, AAC, MP3 etc. This Works!!!

Question: Should I stick with MPC or should install those LAV Filters you linked to? Are they better in any way?

Now the only other issue I have left (Which really has nothing to do with MediaPortal) is that none of the files with DTS Audio play out of my TV. Not just in MediaPortal - but in any media player on my HTPC. I'm assuming that's because my TV does not decode DTS Audio. I'm not sure if there's any workaround to that at all.

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom