Can't Get my Colossus Working... (1 Viewer)

Marvin Miller

Portal Member
March 1, 2014
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hi Folks;

New MP user here (sorry 'bout that). I have MP installed and Schedules Direct and I cannot get my Colossus working.
Each time I try to view a channel it reports that the tuner is busy. Nothing should be using the tuner other then MP.

I'm thinking I probably have not configured it correctly. Pretty lost. Getting discouraged. etc :(

Best & Thanks!
Marvin Miller

PS>I looked at a bunch of links on the 'net - pretty much all were useless.[DOUBLEPOST=1464037501][/DOUBLEPOST]NM the above, after more searching I can't seem to find anything relevant. I think I'm going back to Media Center and just live with the issues. Using a Colossus with Media Portal looks to be a long hard road.

Last edited:

mantec

Portal Member
January 25, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Have you mapped channels to your card in TV server configuration. Have a Colossus myself and it works perfect in MP with Dish Network.

Marvin Miller

Portal Member
March 1, 2014
Home Country
Canada Canada
I did map the channels. I also set the video & audio input correctly in the settings for the Schedules Direct add in as per a document I managed to find. Did a bunch of research on it on the 'net but could find nothing definitive about setting up a Colossus in Media Portal. At that point I gave up and went back to Media Center.

I realize it's supported but surprisingly, I could find little actual support/information. I figured there would be a lot of posts outlining issues and how-to's etc but all I found was a lot of posts spread out over many different sites - not much of it was relevant to my issue.

Like I said, at that point I gave up and went back to Media Center. Media Portal did look pretty good though. I had the guide working properly as well as the remote but without the tuner. Drivers were installed and working for the card and nothing was using it.

This was my second attempt at running Media Portal. It looks like it's a bit involved to get it up and working.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I also set the video & audio input correctly in the settings for the Schedules Direct add in as per a document I managed to find.
    And after doing that, did you delete all the channels and get the SD plugin to recreate them?
    If not, that change would not have had the intended effect.

Did a bunch of research on it on the 'net but could find nothing definitive about setting up a Colossus in Media Portal.
    Well, the setup depends so much on who your TV provider is, how you're getting guide data, whether you want MP to control the set top box etc. that it's impossible to write a guide for everybody. Such a guide would be a novel in itself.

I realize it's supported but surprisingly, I could find little actual support/information. I figured there would be a lot of posts outlining issues and how-to's etc but all I found was a lot of posts spread out over many different sites - not much of it was relevant to my issue.
    Did you find this thread?
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/hauppauge-hd-pvr-colossus-support.94850/

If you'd hit that thread with any questions you have/had then that would have been a good start. As I said above: you're not going to find a step-by-step walkthrough because each setup is so different. Therefore if you're stuck at the start, ask for help. Specifically: say who your TV provider is, what set top box you have, whether you want MP to control the STB etc., and that will enable people to direct you to relevant information for the various parts of setup.

This was my second attempt at running Media Portal.
    I was waiting for you to reply in your other thread, but the reply never came. :(

It looks like it's a bit involved to get it up and working.
    It's certainly not as easy as WMC. Microsoft have/had money and developers to throw at the problem, whereas with MP you have to acquire your own guide data and then work on up from there.

I'm sorry that you feel it's so difficult. Really, there are people here that can help at every step. However you have to be willing to ask for help and put in some time.

Still here to help if you change your mind... ;)
    mm

Marvin Miller

Portal Member
    March 1, 2014
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi MM - good to hear from you again!

I don't recall if I deleted all the channels after configuring the SD plug-in. I think I did, but it was not intentional.
    The link you listed was 114 pages long (!!) but I did follow some of the steps at the start with respect to configuring Colossus for HDMI/HDMI operation.

I did made a ton of progress quite quickly. The EPG was working with the correct channels. My remote was working. Really, from what I could see, the only main thing left was getting the Colossus to work. I didn't expect that to be a big deal as it's fairly mainstream and it's been around for a while. Certainly I thought there would have been some docs on it.

It's not the end of the world. I'm sure Media Center will piss me off again in the future and then I may be back again :) Certainly, this time around I got pretty far into it and got to see the interface and had everything working - other then the video!

I wonder if version 2 would have been a better way to start?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't recall if I deleted all the channels after configuring the SD plug-in. I think I did, but it was not intentional.
    Okay. This is a pretty important thing to do.

The link you listed was 114 pages long (!!)
    Yeah, I know. :D
    Nobody expects you to read much more than the first post. I was simply trying to point out:
    1. In spite of what you said, there is in fact a lot of information out there.
    2. The first post in that thread gives you the basic run down of what you need.
    3. If you have a Colossus or HD-PVR, that is the place to ask questions and get setup help.

...with respect to configuring Colossus for HDMI/HDMI operation.
    For the record: for HDMI/HDMI you'd use HDMI #1 and SPDIF In #1 (AKA HdmiInput1 and SPDIFInput1 in SD), as indicated in the first post of the linked thread.

Certainly, this time around I got pretty far into it and got to see the interface and had everything working - other then the video!
    You sure did, and if I were you I wouldn't be giving up now. You're so close to having it working. Literally a matter of a few minutes if you know what you're doing. Only a little longer if you have to ask for help and wait for replies from New Zealand... ;)

I wonder if version 2 would have been a better way to start?
    Nope, definitely not. Perhaps even worse.

Marvin Miller

Portal Member
    March 1, 2014
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Interesting...that was how I set it up in SD as I got the info from that post. I think you're right, I was probably pretty close. Give it a few months, I would not be surprised if I'm back again :rolleyes:

Marvin Miller

Portal Member
    March 1, 2014
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    OK, I re-installed MP a few moments ago.....

I don't know if I'm going to be sorting it all at once but I would like to get it working with an eye towards shifting over from Media Center with MP as a (hopfeully) long-term solution.

Quick question regarding the Colossus.... Do I have to have Happauge's Media Center add-in softwware installed to use Media Portal ? My guess is no, but I wanted to confirm. I'm doing a parallel install of Media Portal and it seems to have picked off a new tuner, which does not really exist, and my guess is it's found the Hauppage Media Center add-in software.

I took a picture of it and it's highlighted in blue
    Picture2.jpg

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes! I was hoping you'd try again! :D

Do I have to have Happauge's Media Center add-in softwware installed to use Media Portal ? My guess is no, but I wanted to confirm.
    Your guess is right. The answer is no. Use the "Hauppauge Colossus Crossbar 0" tuner.

I'm doing a parallel install of Media Portal and it seems to have picked off a new tuner, which does not really exist, and my guess is it's found the Hauppage Media Center add-in software.
    Correct - the "Hauppauge HD PVR Software Tuner" is from Hauppauge's MC plugin/add-in. I don't know if that tuner could work with MediaPortal, but as far as I know everybody with a Colossus or HD PVR just uses the regular crossbar tuner. So, I recommend you do the same.

Marvin Miller

Portal Member
    March 1, 2014
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Yeah, Media Center is just still screwy. Scheduled recordings are showing up and trying to record two of the same episodes. It never used to do that. It's time to really try to move on so here we go....

Can the Hauppauge software tuner software that we're talking about be deleted from Media Portal without my actually removing the software from my system?
    (I'm trying to keep an active Media Center install operating - otherwise I would just un-install the add-in with Add/Remove Programs).

Btw, many thanks for your continued enthusiasm and help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom