[solved] Can't get TV option on installation (1 Viewer)

MaccaHV

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 22, 2010
    Home Country
    I've been running Media Portal for some years, lately with no problems. (So I've become less familiar with the installment process.) About a week ago it suddenly couldn't connect properly. I uninstalled and reinstalled TVServer, thinking the WIndows update that day must have been the cause of the hiccup. Worked fine, forgot about it. Today it has failed again. (No Windows update today.) When I reinstall I don't get asked whether I want to use it for TV or not. I've tried version 16, 20 and 13, all same result. (Think I was running 16 but can't remember for sure.) So the installation has no TV. I'm running under W7 with AVG Internet Security. I checked Devices and it tells me both Hauppauge WIN TV tuners are working properly.
    Next morning - I actually recorded and watched live to air TV using Windows Media Center, so there's no problem with the tuners, per se.
    I was going to try a Custom install but I see I'm not being offered that option, either.
    Can anyone help?

Last edited:

MaccaHV

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 22, 2010
    Home Country
    Just uninstalled the tuners and reinstalled - no difference. But I remembered every time I boot the system I have to turn on the sound (is never on, for several years now) and then check that the TVServer is running - for a year or two it sometimes it doesn't come back on. Not sure if that is relevant. I also use a UPS which I have to tell to communicate with the computer - if I'm not here when power is restored it won't restart the computer automatically if there's a second power failure. Frustrating but there doesn't seem to be a solution - have spoken with the manufacturers with no result.

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Maybe a stupid answer, but all newer motherboards have a BIOS option to start the computer automatically after power failure.
    Did you check for that option? This would take at least care of one of your problems.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    But I remembered every time I boot the system I have to turn on the sound
    I had this in the past and solved the issue by using a small software tool for which I defined a task in scheduler to be called at every start/resume of Windows. Sadly I don't currently remember the name of it but at least you now know that there is a solution. I vaguely remember that I presented this in the forum, but it's years back now.

MaccaHV

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 22, 2010
    Home Country
    spachti, sorry, I mustn't have been clear enough, the computer restarts but the UPS software doesn't run, so if the power goes again the UPS software doesn't do what it has been programmed to do. (A timed shut-down before power runs out.)
    HTPCSourcer - thanks, I'll look for that some time.
    Meanwhile, my real problem is the TVServer not being there.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Meanwhile, my real problem is the TVServer not being there.
    Uninstall MP1: you'll be presented with a series of options among which the possibility to remove the software while keeping your databases. Select this option and uninstall the software. Reboot (just to be sure that everything is cleaned) and call the installer once again. You should now get the option to include TV.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Then do the following:
    • Probably not possible: "Export" your TV settings (channels, groups, etc.) with the respective option in the TV configuration.
    • Make a copy of the database folder (or just move it to a different location) to preserve your music, video, etc databases..
    • Uninstall MediaPortal completely
    • Verify the Programs (x86) folder:
      • delete everything that relates to Team MediaPortal
      • delete the MySQL program folder (different path, not under Team MediaPortal!)
    • Check the ProgramData folder: delete everything relating to Team MediaPortal
    • Reboot
    Now do a fresh install of MP1. Hopefully you'll now be presented with the TV option. If yes, copy the saved databases back to their original location, then import your TV channels from within the TV config.

Last resort would be to also clean the registry for anything that contains MediaPortal.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've done that numerous times. Don't get the TV option.

Take a look at this thread (particularly post #3) - Force installation of TV-Server?

If MP client and TV server suddenly can't connect to each other, it's most likely caused by network issues - changes of IP address or hostname (does the PC use DHCP to get its IP address, or is it a fixed IP address?), or firewalling/'internet security' issues etc.

MP client and TV server use the OS network services to communicate, even if they are both on the same PC. So network problems will 'break' that even on a single-seat system.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I solved the issue by using a small software tool for which I defined a task in scheduler
    I used the NirSoft tools, which you can download (x64) here. You will need to create a task scheduler entry that is called at every Windows start, using some additional parameters:

Protocol: System
    Source: Power-Troubleshooter
    Event-ID: 1

Under action you can then call the respective Nirsoft tool from the download.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom