Cant play any media file when MP is enabled. MePo freezes (1 Viewer)

svortevik

Portal Pro
February 15, 2008
When MP is enabled Mediaportal freezes when trying to start a media file. This goes for music, series and movies.

If I disable MP everything works again.

Can someone take a look at the provided log and tell me how to fix this?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @svortevik, more then likely one of the files you have that get imported causes database corruption. This could also be related to the fact that the official release has some importer issues, which have been fixed in SVN, but you need to dabble in test builds to get those fixes.

The SQLite PRAGMA command allows you to verify when the database becomes corrupt, and I actually wrote a batch file that will auto backup your database if it passes this validation check, and auto restore when it fails. Please search forum to obtain the batch file, so you could use that to find out what media file is causing the corruption to occor, or if it happens to all of them, in which case you would have to update Moving-Pictures via SVN (or use the test build at IMDb+ download section).

Made it easy on ya: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/corrupted-database.120376/#post-1014075

Last edited:

svortevik

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2008
    If there is a specific file that corrupts the db, is there any way of telling which file it is? If i understand correctly the script only tells me what db that is corrupted and not which entry in the db?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Yes, the movingpictures.log file will give you an indication during import, and provide great details as to why when you enable MediaPortal debug log verbosity, and even more when you enable Moving-Pictures scraper-debug logging. The latter is only needed when the error is not clear as-is and you have to boiled down to a single movie causing issues.

Start button/screen -> All Programs -> Team MediaPortal -> MediaPortal -> "User Files" shortcut -> "log" folder, and enjoy.

svortevik

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2008
    I cant figure this out. Can you please tell me step by step what I need to do to get my MePo working again?

What log files do I need to look in?

I ran the script and it took backup of every db. Does that mean that the db isn't corrupted?

I found out another thing.

If I just wait for 3-5 minutes after pressing play the movie actually starts and plays as normal. After that every media file starts instantly when pressing play and every file works.

If I restart the computer the problem is back and I have to wait for ages for the first media file to start, and then everything works again.

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Ok, what you are describing there is concurrent codec conflict. You have to do one or all of the following then:
    • disable mediainfo (rename mediainfo.dll to for example "mediainfo.old"
    • disable thumbnail generation (inside MePo config -> GUI -> Thumbnails)
    • use a concurrent friendly codec/splitter (not as easy as it sounds)
    • disable anything else that is accessing the media file at the same time as playback starts (AntiVirus, 3rd party tools, etc).
    The reason it works after you start/stop and then start again later, is because the other process (thumbnail generation, mediainfo part, etc) is all done then and cached/re-used.

svortevik

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2008
    But the problem were non existing before updating to MePo 1.5 and Windows 8.1

Will a total cleanup of MePo fix this issue, or is this a common problem?

I assume that disabling mediainfo, thumbnail and so on has its downsides?

There are no 3rd party tools that access the media files as I know of. I tried disabling anti virus etc on booth the file server and client machine, but no luck.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I've got a wide range of media files and am also using Windows 8.1 with MediaPortal 1.5.0, and not a single issue with playing them.

You did ensure DXVA2 is enabled for LAV codec right?

Start screen/button -> All Programs -> LAV Filter -> Video Codec Properties -> Enable "DXVA2 (Native)" for hardware accelleration.

svortevik

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2008
    Yes it is enabled.

I tried with a different graphic card and it looks like the problem is gone. I have to do some more testing to be sure, but I think I have to buy a new graphic card and drop the Intel HD 4000.

First I will try to remove the intel driver and use the windows 8 driver instead and see how that goes. I assume I will lose some important features if I do...

Edit:

The problem is still there.

I also got a new problem.

When changing refresh rate my reciever cant get a signal from my computer. I then have to turn off/on the reciever again to get signal. The problem is that I dont get sound after this happens before I restart my computer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom