Can't play movies in MP 1.0.1 (1 Viewer)

thrilled

Portal Pro
October 30, 2008
Greetings,

I am in need of your help here..

I have a strange problem that I can't recall that I have had before with earlier versions. I have made a clean install of Vista Ultimate with SP1 and have all requirements for MP 1.0.1. I have installed Mediaportal. Everything works really well except two things.

1.) Movies
2.) HD TV

In this thread I will discuss the problem with the movies though.

As soon I try to watch a movie withing mediaportal I can't get it to work. Here are some examples:

# If I try to watch a .mkv file then the window desktop becomes visible while mediaportal is still running and the cpu load goes up to 65% on the mediaportal.exe process. So it seems like the movies is running in some sort of way but is not visible. With 1.0.0 this was working (I can't guarantee if I did anything else with 1.0.0 to get it work).

# If I try to start a .avi file I get an annoying message asking me to insert CD/DVD which I cant get away even after clicking OK so I have to ctrl-alt-del and kill mediaportal to get rid of that.

I should mention that I am using Nvidia PureVideo and CoreAVC as codecs. And have DIVX installed as well for some .avi content.

ALL movies are working FINE if I am starting them in Mediaplayer 11.

So now I am out of ideas and hopefully you guys here are able to help me out.

Thanks in advance! :D

/Thrilled

i2ambler

Portal Member
February 4, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am using mediaportal 1.0.1 as well, but an able to play videos using the k-lite codec pack.. the problem I have is that DVDs will not play at all.. i put a dvd in - choose to play it and the screen goes black for a second and then goes back to the mediaportal menu.. dvds play fine in mediaplayer 11.,. I use ultimate vista as well.

thrilled

Portal Pro
October 30, 2008
Short update here....

I got the .avi files to work. What I had to do was to click back the option to automaticall add optical diskdrives under the Video Folder menu. Then I got rid of that annoying message telling me to insert korrekt CD/DVD. So the .avi files are working as they should.

Now it only the .mkv files that are the problem- Since when I am clicking on one of the first the MP screen turns black and then it looks like it jumps out to windows desktop. Although mediaportal is running in the background with high CPU use which to me looks like he actually is processing the .mkv file but does not show it correctly on my screen.

And as before Windows Media Player plays the .mkv file just fine just MP that doesn't do it as I would like it to.

So any help here is very very useful.

Thanks!

/Thrilled

thrilled

Portal Pro
October 30, 2008
Anyone have any clue how to solve my problem with the .mkv files?

Additional info.. When starting the .mkv files it feels like it is starting the movie and then in some sort of way minimize it into the tray or similar.

/Thrilled

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you are seeing the desktop, then you are not using EVR + Aero to display the film, both need to be enabled on Vista\MP, so that the graphics chip does the work.

EVR should automatically be enabled when installing MP.

thrilled

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2008
    Yes that's true that I am not using EVR... although I am using AERO. The reason I am not using EVR is that all my HD Channels get borked up badly when using EVR. If I would try to describe the problem then I would say the picture gets extremly zoomed in into the upper right corner where the channel logo is.. So the logo takes up half the TV screen and since it is so extremly zoomed in it looks very bad as well. The Standard Definition channels are working very good though.

So if you have any resolution to this problem as well then I would be very glad to try it out.

Sincerely!

/Thrilled

thrilled

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2008
    I am using the CoreAVC 1.9.5 codec so I don't think there is any newer one or is it?

Is there any workaround to this beside using another H.264 codec?

Sincerely!

/Thrilled

Just for testing purpose I changed back to EVR mode and tried to start the .mkv file and now I recieve a message saying:

Video codec: v_mpeg4/iso/avc
    Audio codec: ac3

Any idea what causes this?

/Thrilled

Tried another .mkv file now and got a new message saying the decoder for the track could not be found. Track type: SRT/UTF-8 ..... though this .mkv file did actually start within mediaportal. I must say that I didn't have this problems with former version of MP.

Grrr another message when I am now trying to start a .ts file and I get that annoying please insert the correct cd/DVD, insert CD/DVD Elephants Dream. Where the Elephants Dream is the TS file I am trying to start.

So three different error messages on 3 different files...

/Thrilled

thrilled

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2008
    Well.... I reverted back to VMR again... when I am checking the vmr log I see these errors all the time:

2009-05-06 21:53:26.301367 [ERROR][MPMain]: render exception:confused:ystem.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
    at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIImage.FontEngineDrawTexture(Int32 textureNo, Single x, Single y, Single nw, Single nh, Single uoff, Single voff, Single umax, Single vmax, Int32 color, Single[,] matrix)
    at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIImage.Render(Single timePassed)
    at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIControl.DoRender(Single timePassed, UInt32 currentTime)
    at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIWindow.Render(Single timePassed)
    2009-05-06 21:53:26.402367 [ERROR][MPMain]: render exception:confused:ystem.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
    at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIImage.FontEngineDrawTexture(Int32 textureNo, Single x, Single y, Single nw, Single nh, Single uoff, Single voff, Single umax, Single vmax, Int32 color, Single[,] matrix)
    at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIImage.Render(Single timePassed)
    at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIControl.DoRender(Single timePassed, UInt32 currentTime)
    at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIWindow.Render(Single timePassed)

And yes the memory I have is just fine and not faulty by any means

I really want the videos to work since that is even more important then the TV currently :D

/Thrilled

Ok, problem solved now....

By registering vsfilter and then in haali media splitter enter the use vsfilter option I can now play the movies..

Only ONE annoying problem left....

When I stop the movies I am playing then MP seems to go into windows desktop but in some sort of way still running so I have to use ctrl-alt-delete and kill mediaportal process.

I guess this is related to the fact that I am running MP in VMR mode and not EVR mode since my HD channels get borked then. Still I would LOVE to see a fix to this since it was not happening in previous versions of MP

I will add a FIXED tag to this thread now,

Thanks!

/Thrilled

thrilled

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2008
    anyone have a clue how to get rid of the show windows desktop/freeze of mediaportal when clicking stop on movies when using VMR instead of EVR (since EVR mess up the HD channels with CoreAVC latest version)

/T

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom