cant play recorded tv (1 Viewer)

benjydog

November 8, 2005
i am able to watch live broadcasts, but am unable to watch recorded ones. I'm new to this software and have gone through all the setups and wizards. any help? nothing plays and no error messges. I dont think i can use the pause live tv feature either

p4 2.0ghz, radeon-all-in-wonder 7500

thanks for any help.

torrieborrie

Portal Member
November 9, 2005
Hi,
I think I have the same problem as well.
I can watch TV, start and stop a recording but as soon as I click the Recorded TV button MP freezes and only with several alt-ctrl-del I can close MP.
I can find a new created AVI file but it is empty, 0 bytes.
Timeshift doesn't work either. I can't select it.
Before MP I used ShowShifter with the same setup and recording and timeshifting worked well.

I have got a Sempron 2600+ and a old capturecard from Medion with a BT878 chip.

Hopefully someone can help

DaveInUK

Portal Member
November 5, 2005
Hi,

I'm by no means an expert but I have tried many 'media' packages and have ended up with Media Portal which I think is the best. Even though it as problems, its still only very new; just look at the version, and its great even then!

I've seen that problem when the wrong codec has been selected. As I say I'm not an expert so even if you were to let me know which codec you are using I might not be able to help much but just try chaging the default ones might help eliminate some potential problems.

Dave

elconejito

Portal Pro
April 28, 2005
Falls Church, VA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Please fill out the support template and we'll try to get you help. It sounds like both of you are using a software based card (the ATIs are treated as software cards). So likely it is a codec problem as DaveInUK says. I wrote some instructions in this thread
http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6715&start=15
which may help you out. If it doesn't, please post back here again with the support template filled out and any MP logs...

benjydog

November 8, 2005
Codec Problem

Thank you very much for the replies. I uninstalled and reinstalled after installing a new codec pack and played with some setings. Got it to work then i had no sound, after more playing it turned out my line in on the back of my machine is connected to the cd player volume control (is that odd?) so i got it all working now.

Thanks again for all the help.

I know the ATI is software based, but im just testing out whethere i like this setup or not. Im deciding to either build a dedicated system or buy a comercial pvr. but im happy to have it all working now.

Thanks again.
Ben

elconejito

Portal Pro
April 28, 2005
Falls Church, VA
Home Country
Re: Codec Problem

benjydog said:
Thank you very much for the replies. I uninstalled and reinstalled after installing a new codec pack and played with some setings. Got it to work then i had no sound, after more playing it turned out my line in on the back of my machine is connected to the cd player volume control (is that odd?) so i got it all working now.

Thanks again for all the help.

I know the ATI is software based, but im just testing out whethere i like this setup or not. Im deciding to either build a dedicated system or buy a comercial pvr. but im happy to have it all working now.

Thanks again.
Ben
Good to hear that you are up and working. To get the full potential of MP i would suggest looking at a hardware based card. the Hauppage PVR-150MCE is available at Amazon.com for <$70. that way you can avoid some of the quirks with the software based cards in MP. If you want to get a commercial software package, SageTV and BeyondTV (i'm sure there are others) support this card.

Btw, sometimes those codec packs can be more hindrance than help...

HTH

benjydog

November 8, 2005
Thank you.

If i do end up building a system, it will proably contain that card, or the model higher with the 2 cable inputs. Im not sure what i'm going to do yet. It might be cheaper to buy a commerical system at bestbuy or something, but it wont have all the features i want. either way, i need to wait for my next paycheck lol.

elconejito

Portal Pro
April 28, 2005
Falls Church, VA
Home Country
the higher model is the PVR500, very nice and a good choice.

I grappled with the commercial vs doityourself choice as well. I like Tivo, but don't like paying upfront, monthly fee, and only one tuner. Plus getting the files off via wireless was also more $$$ and hassle. Then the flip side is custom PVRs arent quite 100% there yet i think and you still need a separate cable/satellite box with either solution.

I've gone with the hated DVR from my cable company since its an all-in-one solution (cable box, 2 tuners, etc) along with a really long cable that leads to my PC with MP running and recording from basic cable (no box). So far its working well, but I can't wait until the day when the "perfect" answer comes along :D

Ovin

November 12, 2005
Hi, I have a problem with playing recorded tv from Media Portal too, though I doubt its the same issue faced by the threadstarter.

Recording works fine and I see the recorded show in the Recorded TV section but the moment I click to play it, Media Portal will usually crash and I will get the Windows application has generated an error message. However, if I browse manually in Explorer to my recorded tv folder, I can find my recordings and I can play them fine using WMP. So it seems that the recording is there and it's all good. I just can't figure out why Media Portal can't play it without crashing.

I'm using a Hauppauge 150, I think the decoders I'm using are NVIDIA's PureVideo. Do I need any codecs for playing recorded tv? I have divx and xvid and since WMP can play these recordings fine, I suppose I should already have any codecs needed?

elconejito

Portal Pro
April 28, 2005
Falls Church, VA
Home Country
Hi Ovin, the recorded file uses the MPG decoders (Nvidia Purevideo) to decode recorded (and live for that matter) TV. so you don't need anymore codecs.

Can you fill out the support template? Its one of the stickies at the top of this forum. Also post your log (or relevant parts if you can) and we'll try to get you going...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom