Can't watch live TV, Recordings or Radio in MP1.5 Client (1 Viewer)

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    As the title say (and I'm sorry it sounds so abrupt).

Using MP1.5 as the server and (several) clients but even although the server is playing the TV fine the client can't play it - comes up with an error box.

All boxes are on Win7 and up to date patched.

Looking at the logs I wondered if I needed to open up port 554.

Not CoDecs as videos (on a NAS) and Music/Pictures play fine.

For the logs I cleared them out then tried to watch live TV, a recording and then a radio channel.

Any ideas or have I totally stuffed up something - please tell me if you want the server logs too.

I'm sure this USED to work on 1.3/1.4 but haven't checked as it takes some time (and WAF will suffer if I take down the server).

Thnaks for any help.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    [2013-09-12 18:09:25,792] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - TSReaderPlayer: Open file: rtsp://Radium:554/stream3.4
    12-09-2013 18:09:46.799 [ 51cefe8] [ 6f0] Failed to get a SDP description from URL rtsp://Radium:554/stream3.4 connect() failed: Unknown error
    [2013-09-12 18:09:46,803] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - TSReaderPlayer: Failed to open file:rtsp://Radium:554/stream3.4 :0x80004005

Looks to me like network related issues. Maybe firewall... or maybe DNS/IP related. On the server, please check the "streaming server" "IP address" and "port" settings.

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    I will try that, thank you for that.

I wondered if I had IP6 enabled on the server too - that stuffs up some thing

Nope, that's not it.

Server firewall disabled, working on Win 7 Ultimate, no HomeGroup and with MP1.5 installed.

Client using Win7 Starter, MP 1.3 tried (which DID work to MP 1.3) but trying to play a recording give a similar error.

If anyone can suggest what I could do to get this resolved I'm happy to do it.

As it is it looks like I might have to stay on a previous release!

I'll try putting my server/client back to 1.4 in a while and see if that worked

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    More info.

It's not Windows 7 updates, just tried them with a MP 1.3 and fully updating I(except IE10) I could watch TV/Recordings on the clients (with no changes to the firewall settings, so it WAS enabled).

Nor was there a problem with 1.4 (GUI notwithstanding) I upgraded (downgraded?) the server and client to 1.4 and yes I could watch a recording/TV.

That also had a fully patched Windows and the default firewall in place (no changes by me).

(Just for interest you can't use a 1.5 client with a 1.4 server either!)

So I point the finger squarely at the 1.5 Pre Release, something seems to have changed which is causing the 'bad string' coming down port 554 (or whatever it was).

So I will try the 1.5 when it comes out, but for now at least (unless anyone has any bright ideas) I'm back to 1.4.

Now, must start working on making the GUI back to classic style.........

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So I point the finger squarely at the 1.5 Pre Release, something seems to have changed which is causing the 'bad string' coming down port 554 (or whatever it was).
    If I wasn't clear before...
    This looks like a connectivity problem... though I note that the server log files would have been really helpful. The sorts of tests that would be instrumental to solving such a problem are [for example] confirming normal playback on the server, confirming forced RTSP playback on the server, confirming playback on a remote client with VLC, confirming server IP address (192.168.1.218), confirming telnet from remote clients to server port 554... etc.

I also note that streaming RTSP to a client requires port 554 to be open for establishing the session... but other ports are used for the streaming data (it appears that you didn't get that far).

(Just for interest you can't use a 1.5 client with a 1.4 server either!)
    Let me answer this way: we haven't intentionally broken this scenario, but I can't tell from this bare (frustrated?) comment whether the issue is technical or a fundamental incompatibility with the two versions. More logs would have been helpful; within reason, you can never supply too many log files.

Now, must start working on making the GUI back to classic style.........
    Is that meant to be funny?

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    I know you think it's a connectiveity problem, but my previous reply says that it worked using Win 7 (fully patched so an MS update didn't do it) and 1.4 on server and client.

So under 1.4 port 554 was open, nothing that I did.

Disabling the firewall on both client and server under 1.5 did NOT allow watching live/Recorded TV either.

I did look in the server files (and I will attach them later when spouse has stopped watching the TV <grin>)) but I didn't notice anything.

I >know< you (or whoever) haven't intentionally broken it, never meant to say you had - honest. I'm a fan of MP and how is really is the centrepiece of my IT home (netbooks in three rooms running the clients which is my radio clock AV interface and all round IT centre, I'll be putting more netbooks around the place too).

I would NEVER knock MP or the developers - it is an incredible piece of software.

As to the final comment, it is true. I don't like the Titan interface and I have a theme to make if more like Classic - you try seeing a netbook screen from 3m away! (Also I can drive the classic interface easier using my automation plugin - it IS my alarm clock after all.)

Oh, and if I didn't say it before, thank you for the reply. I'm not annoyed (too old for that!) just passing info on 1.5 before it gets frozen.

I WILL provide server logs and associated client logs ASAP.

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    OK, this is odd.

I reinstalled the server this morning from Win7 and redid all the settings.

I have just installed the client on a netbook (again from Win7 baseline backup) and the stoopid thing works.

I started with no settings other than pointing the client at the server, worked fine. Installed my 'classic' theme (which I >was< suspicious of) and it still works.

I can only assume that when I upgraded from 1.4 to 1.5 Pre Release on the server that something didn't get set correctly (or got reset).

The only different change I made to the server was to disable HomeGroup (clients don't have HomeGroup, they're Win 7 Starter). The firewall is on and MP puched the hole through (as normal).

So -
    a) Panic over
    b) I'm confused (normal state of affairs it seems)
    c) Apologies (and shamefaced)

[Darn, looks like I'll have to pay MP some more money for coming up with the goods this year too!]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom