Card handling (1 Viewer)

MediaTobiPortal

Portal Pro
December 13, 2004
Hi all

and thank you in advance.

Did I miss it or was the option to assign cards to "only timeshifting" or "only recording" removed ?

OR:
Can I use the "maximum number of cards to be used for recording/timeshifting" feature together with card priorities somehow to make sure some cards are only timeshifting and others are only recording ?

OR:
Are there driver options/tweaks which make cards pure timeshifting or recording cards ?

Background:
I guess I remember that at some point there was an option like "allow this card to be used for timeshifting" or "allow this card to be used for recording" respectively.

Honestly it's not so impotant to have this "feature" - but during my career (I really started with 0.0.0.1) in mediaportal I collected many TV cards. Now I'm about to build a new TVServer and I want to place in total 7 tuners in it (Yes - I know that's a bit crazy but I don't wanna sell any of the cards for 5€ on e-bay...)

My plan is:
4x FloppyDTV for timeshifting (I have 4 clients and the FloppyDTVs give me the fastest channel changes by far)
1x Dual CineS2 for recording (still a cool card, but I bit slower an changing channels - especially if one tuner runs and channels are changed on the other tuner)
1x Nova HD S2 for - I have no idea what for - maybe the only one to grab EPG or so (I'll never buy anything from Hauppauge again)

THANKS

Tobias

PS - @devs: Even if the feature is simply gone and there's no other way to achieve my perfect dream solution - please don't feel enganged to change code for my unimportant luxury problem but concentrate on more impotant things. MediaPortal and the TVServer are absolutely great anyway !

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

Did I miss it or was the option to assign cards to "only timeshifting" or "only recording" removed ?
    I don't ever remember there being such an option... but from your comment about MP 0.0.0.1 and forum join date it looks like you've been using MP much longer than I have. ;)

Can I use the "maximum number of cards to be used for recording/timeshifting" feature together with card priorities somehow to make sure some cards are only timeshifting and others are only recording ?
    Strictly speaking, no. There is absolutely no way to 100% prevent a tuner being used for either timeshifting or recording.
    Setting the max number of cards for timeshifting to 4 would mean that TV Server would try up to 4 tuners (as/if necessary) when receiving a request to start timeshifting. If you prioritised the 4 FloppyDTVs then that would make it more likely that only those tuners would be tried for timeshifting. However, as soon as one or more of those tuners is in use, TV Server would have the ability to try the Cine and/or Hauppauge tuners.

Since the tuner priorities are the same for timeshifting and recording, there's also no way to prefer the FloppyDTVs for timeshifting and prefer the Cine for recording.

Are there driver options/tweaks which make cards pure timeshifting or recording cards ?
    No, definitely not. The card driver has no idea whether it is used for timeshifting or recording. Only the software (eg. MP) knows that.

The only [very complex] way that I can think of to achieve what you want would be to create two copies of each channel.
    The first one is used for timeshifting only; the second for recording only.
    You map the timeshifting channels to the FloppyDTVs and the recording channels to the Cines (and others if you want).
    Prioritise the Cine tuners so that TV Server uses them first for recordings, and only falls back to the FloppyDTVs if necessary.
    Then you just have to make sure to schedule all recordings on the recording channel set, and only select the timeshifting channel set when watching/timeshifting TV. Creating channel groups could help you to follow those rules, but I think it would be a bit clumsy. IMHO you'd be better off trying to increase the zap speed of the Cine tuners, or just accept the less perfect "normal" approach (tuner can be used for anything, prioritise the FloppyDTVs).

Best regards,
    mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom