Case: Moneual LAB Black Aluminum MonCaso 312B (1 Viewer)

doughzone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 29, 2008
    Wa State
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    So I am using the Moneual LAB Black Aluminum MonCaso 312B case for my Media Center. I thought that since I am using it, I'd give it a bit of a review. I have been using this case for about 2 months now, and have had my troubles, but am happyish with the case.

moneual-312-black.jpg

It is a very small case. It only holds micro ATX boards, and low profile cards. It can hold up to 3 hard drives, and one DVD/CD/Blueray drive. I currently have the DVD drive, and 2 1TB hard drives installed. Cooling can be an issue with this case, since there it only comes with 3 mounts for fans, all 3 are 40x40, and all 3 are in the back of the case.

I do believe that if you have this case in a non enclosed place, you shouldn't need any fans, and the stock heatsink and fan will do just fine. I personally have this case enclosed and by doing so makes everything really hot. I have done some mods to the enclosure, and I took off the stock CPU fan and replaced it with a 120mm fan. With this 120mm fan in place, it keeps all of the components pretty cool.

I guess if you like smaller cases, it would be a nice case if you are prepared to deal with any cooling issues that might come up. It does come with a built in IR and a little remote, that kinda works. Has a volume nob on the front of the case that turns up, down, and mutes the volume.

All around it fits my needs well, and fits in with my other components in my entertainment center.

The only suggestion I would give if choosing to use this case, is to be aware of the components you are going to be using and how much heat they will be putting off.

If anyone has any questions about this case, I'd be glad to answer them.

Mr.Wifi

Portal Pro
    August 26, 2008
    Düsseldorf
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I will possibly buy this case too in the near future and use it as upscaling client htpc. I would like to mount the new corsair h50 cooler inside to cool my AMD quad. I thought of removing the the left hdd cage and put there the mini radiator + fan from the corsair h50 liquidcooler, from what i´ve seen on various pics in the www. this way may work out, ventlation holes and enough space in front of the PSU seem to be available once the hdd cage is removed :)

doughzone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 29, 2008
    Wa State
    Home Country
    I would go more for the right side than the left. The left bracket only allows for one hard drive because of the motherboard, and the front case board and wires. The right side is pretty free from obstructions though. I will add one thing that I forgot, is that you will have to have low profile ram, since it will be under the optical drive.

Also, which is worth mentioning, about the 120mm fan I'm using to cool my CPU heat sink for those of you that want to or need to stay with air cooled, I used a Zalman FB123 Quiet Fan And Bracket. It comes with a 92mm fan, but why use that when a 120mm fits, and covers more area.

fb123.jpg

doughzone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 29, 2008
    Wa State
    Home Country
    Mark,

Yes it does. The case actually comes with a MS compatible remote that works with MediaPortal if you set it up as a HID. I currently use a Harmony One remote with the case, and it works great.

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    I like the look of the case but won't settle for one that only accepts micro motherboards and low-rise cards. I see on their website that they too have fallen for the idea that a built-in touchscreen will sell to htpc enthusiasts, without actually understanding that touchscreens are almost completely useless to anyone not using some sort of included dumbed-down "Media Center" software. I have yet to see of an implementation of MediaPortal, Meedio, etc. that works well with a touchscreen. (If anyone has got a totally functional MediaPortal working, with a really good looking skin that works with a touchscreen, and doesn't require hours of hacking things to make it all work, let me know!).
    Shame that Moneual don't make a full-height case that's identical to this 312 model.

My other pet peeve is htpc case manufacturers that stick lots of buttons and "volume" knobs on the case. Again, almost totally useless in the real world when using a good htpc software. I don't know anyone with such a case that (after the first week) actually uses any of the buttons and knobs on the case more than once every few months.

Sigh.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

Bought this case, and it looks fantastic. The remote looks good. I haven't yet got the components to put in it, but I'm looking forward to building this system.

Thanks for the comments.

Mark

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi,

Is it possible with this case to put the motherboard/CPU/RAM in first, and then the PSU afterwards? Sounds strange, but I need to pull components from my existing HTPC, and this way round would allow me time to do it tonight!

Best wishes,

Mark

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi,

Right, I have this all working, except for the remote. No matter how I configure it, I can only get the arrow keys, 'okay' and 'back' to work. I did set it up as a HID. Do I need to do additional configuration?

Incidentally, in case anyone else is thinking of getting one of these cases, it looks great. The build was pretty straightforward. There isn't a lot of room to tidy the wires, especially the block of wires for motherboard power. I'll definitely be investing in a modular PSU, and probably trimming wires down as well to keep it tidy and give good airflow. However, with an Athlon socket AM3 CPU running at 2.9GHz (65W) I have seen no problems with heat.

Thanks,

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom