CD ripper in the background (1 Viewer)

maarten77

Portal Member
June 6, 2005
Amsterdam
Awaiting a CD ripper plugin, this is how I configured a CD rip solution.

The idea is that I want Media Portal to play a CD when I insert one, but I want the CD to be ripped at the same time, so I don't have to use the actual CD again. This is an easy way of digitizing your CD collection.
Of course I don't want to be bothered by the ripping process when Media Portal is active.

I am using MediaPlayer to rip. It is set up to contact CDDB automatically, and to not eject the CD when done ripping.

1. When needed, turn on autoplay in the registry:
a. Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).
b. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom.
c. Double-click the Autorun value, and type 1 for its value.
d. You may have to log out and then log back in for this change to take effect.

2. Configure autoplay:
a. Right click on the CD player icon and choose properties|autoplay
b. For "music files", choose "no action"
c. For "music CD" choose "RIP cd" or whatever action your ripping program has added (these options can be tweaked as well)
d. In mediaplayer|Extra|Options|Music ripping choose rip cd when placed in CD Rom station (and disable eject CD when done ripping)

3. Install TrayIt! from http://www.teamcti.com/trayit/trayit.htm
a. Start the ripping program (i.e. mediaplayer)
b. Minimize to try (right click on minimize icon)
c. Rightclick tray bar icon and choose Edit Profile|Minimize on Start
d. Rightclick tray bar icon and choose TrayIt! Application|Options and choose start TrayIt at start up

4. Optional: install a CD/DVD slowdown tool, to prevent noise from high speed CD rotation. Good and for free: http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=nerodrivespeed.html

Now, when you start Media Portal, and at some point insert an audio CD, it will be ripped without you even knowing it... Of course the memory size and bootup time for trayit and nerodrivespeed are a negative aspect of this tip.

If you have the view in MyMusic set to files, you will immediately see the imported files. Otherwise, you have to update the music database.

I hope this will be of some use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom