Central database + Moving Pictures = Some problems (slow MovPic start) (1 Viewer)

raffe

Portal Pro
March 28, 2008
Hi!

I have gone to the road of central database. We have too many computers at home where to watch all the stuff.

My problem is that the first time I start (open) Moving Pictures in MediaPortal it stays on "verifying data sources" and "updating filtering menu" and "updating categories menu" very long time (like 5 minutes or more). After that all works OK.

I have attached my log, but can't find the problem (probably I don't know how).

For the central database I first did as in Central Database - MediaPortal Wiki

Then in the database movingpictures.db3 I have changed in "settings" table these keys so they point to central location:
cover_art_folder -> \\192.168.222.247\Public\Filer\_Film_o_Musik\TeamMediaPortal\Thumbs\MovingPictures\Covers\FullSize
cover_thumbs_folder -> \\192.168.222.247\Public\Filer\_Film_o_Musik\TeamMediaPortal\Thumbs\MovingPictures\Covers\Thumbs
backdrop_folder -> \\192.168.222.247\Public\Filer\_Film_o_Musik\TeamMediaPortal\Thumbs\MovingPictures\Backdrops\FullSize
backdrop_thumbs_folder -> \\192.168.222.247\Public\Filer\_Film_o_Musik\TeamMediaPortal\Thumbs\MovingPictures\Backdrops\Thumbs

I have also in "movie_info" table changed all alternatecovers, coverfullpath, coverthumbfullpath and backdropfullpath to same as in settingstable with SQL syntaxes like these
Code:
UPDATE movie_info set alternatecovers = replace(alternatecovers, "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal" , "\\192.168.222.247\Public\Filer\_Film_o_Musik\TeamMediaPortal")

UPDATE movie_info set coverfullpath = replace(coverfullpath, "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal" , "\\192.168.222.247\Public\Filer\_Film_o_Musik\TeamMediaPortal")

UPDATE movie_info set coverthumbfullpath = replace(coverthumbfullpath, "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal" , "\\192.168.222.247\Public\Filer\_Film_o_Musik\TeamMediaPortal")

UPDATE movie_info set backdropfullpath = replace(backdropfullpath, "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal" , "\\192.168.222.247\Public\Filer\_Film_o_Musik\TeamMediaPortal")

First I had MovPic 1.2.3, but I have now tried 1.3 with same result. I have about 1700 movies. Could it be the network speed (1GB)? (if yes, can the "verifying data sources" and "updating filtering menu" and "updating categories menu" be saved, then disabled in start up, and run them in background just for update if something has changed)

Any guess what I have done wrong?

EDIT: Removed logs...

drealit

Portal Pro
March 15, 2008
Sounds like a corrupted database. Most likely cause... sharing across clients which is not a supported function :sorry:

To really tell if that's what it is, rename your database folder to something else temporarily and then try loading mediaportal/moving pictures etc. If it loadsreasonably fast, you're on track to finding what is wrong. Next step would be identifying which database file is to blame (which it sounds like would be movingpictures).

raffe

Portal Pro
March 28, 2008
Well, I guess it's not really done for a central database and central files ;) After changing all back to local database and local files, it's fast again :D I think I will look up that thread I saw before, I think it was about copying files back and forth or something to get same stuff on different computers :)

Until we get a supported decentrlized databases/files solution :D

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Many with multiple clients have made the same experience. For a centralized database we will have to wait for MP2.

The best work-around I have found so far is to manage the MP database on one machine (its my office computer, it has MP installed, but is not really used as a client other than for test and management purposes) and make sure the clients synchronize their database with managed database.

To achieve this, when I add a movie I open Moving Pictures configuration on the managed machine (here I use IMDB+ as the scraper), I check the import, select the cover image and rename the directory and folder (all configuration options). Then I run the little application to copy cover art and artwork and to create an .nfo file to the movie directory. The clients are set up to use the XBMC scraper which makes sure that the cover and artwork and .nfo files are used for the addition to the client database. This way everything is synchronized.

This procedure works for me.

VdR

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom