Tools and other software Ceton Corp End of Life for Cable TV Tuners (1 Viewer)

WiseguyMN

March 3, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
This is mainly an FYI to the community.

I recently acquired a Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH device only to find out there is no support anymore ... I have tried email and calling Ceton support with no response at all for 30+ days. I also found Ceton is dependent on Microsoft media Center Receiver Service which means Ceton is ending support as well since Windows 10 has no media center any more.

Silicon Dust ethernet device does not seem to have this dependency on Media Center Receiver Service (basic testing only so far).

Right now I am researching my replacement for an HTPC running Windows 7, Windows Media Center with Silicon Dust cable TV tuners (ethernet based).
I was hoping to switch to Ceton device due to the 6 tuners with one cable card .... Silicon dust has a 3 tuner limit .... a second cable card costs $10/month for another Silicon dust device.

It seems that cable TV tuners for HTPC's are dying a slow death. I guess I will probably have to pay concast $25/month fo a cable box :(

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I also found Ceton is dependent on Microsoft media Center Receiver Service which means Ceton is ending support as well since Windows 10 has no media center any more.
    I'd be really surprised if Ceton is dependent on an MS service in any meaningful way. Ceton tuners certainly can work fine on W10 without WMC. Remember CableCARD tuners also work under Linux, and there's never been an ehrecv service available in that case.

WiseguyMN

March 3, 2016
    Home Country
    Heres a screenshot of the Ceton diagnostics showing a dependency on the Media Center Receiver Service .... Ceton support has been terrible with no response in the last 7 days.

upload_2016-3-7_11-42-27.png
    [DOUBLEPOST=1457372611][/DOUBLEPOST]I'll keep trying to get Ceton support to respond[DOUBLEPOST=1457373826][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, when I open Media Portal and go to "TV Server" it does not see my Ceton tuners ... so I must not have the ceton device properly enabled with device drivers so MP2 does not auto-detect the tuners.

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-7_11-41-28.png
      upload_2016-3-7_11-41-28.png
      276.8 KB
    Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Heres a screenshot of the Ceton diagnostics showing a dependency on the Media Center Receiver Service
    It says a "dependant service" - dependant implying that ehrecv would be dependent on a Ceton service, not the other way around. In any case, I'd ignore that for the reasons previously given. The bigger problem that the screenshot shows is that even the Ceton Diagnostics tool can't detect your tuner.

Also, when I open Media Portal and go to "TV Server" it does not see my Ceton tuners... so MP2 does not auto-detect the tuners.
    I can only help you with MP1, but presumably TV Server hasn't got any hope of seeing the tuners when even Ceton Diagnostics can't see it.

... so I must not have the ceton device properly enabled with device drivers
    You said your tuner is an ETH model, right? Network connected, not PCIe? If yes, drivers are not required. I think it's more likely that you have a firewall or network configuration issue.

WiseguyMN

March 3, 2016
    Home Country
    Got the device configured :) The message about windows media cetner receiver service was misleading (Ceton assumes taht people only use WMC and nothing else).
    Thanks for the feedback and pointing me int eh right direction.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom