Portal Pro
January 14, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
TV-Server Version: 1.8
MediaPortal Version: 1.8
MediaPortal Skin: Titan
Windows Version: 7
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Colussus - Controls Cable Set-top-box - All channels offered through Cox
2. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR-1600 - QAM - Only 6 local network channels in HD
3. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR-950Q - Analog - Channels 1-99 in analog
Satelite/CableTV Provider: U.S. Cox Cable Digital
Remote: Logitech Harmony 850
TV: Samsung
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

My current setup is listed above. I am currently looking into the InfiniTV 6 PCIe to replace all the TV Tuners that I have in the one PC-DVR and go to this one tuner, plus I would be able to record more with this one solution. I have seen varying opinions and I have questions that maybe some of you could help me with.

1. I have Cox Cable and I have heard some not so nice things about their cablecard and it not being able to play well with others. I have read issues about Tuning Adapters rebooting and/or not being able to record/play certain channels especially the pay channels. Can anyone confirm this?

2. I am also unclear on this copy-once designation. I have read that Cox has the copy-once restriction and I do not understand exactly what this means. Currently, I record to the one PC that acts as a server. I watch my recorded shows as direct file streams from another PC and through 3 WDTVLive media servers. Would this copy-once restriction allow me to stream? Would I be able to copy the .ts file to a thumb drive?

I really want to move to the InfiniTV to get rid of this box to save money and allow more recording options but it is a hefty price and a hassle dealing with Cox to make this happen and I would hate to pull the trigger with on something that is doomed from the get go.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

You'd probably get better answers on these questions over on the AVS or green button forums (...or basically any other forum with a higher American membership).

1. I have Cox Cable and I have heard some not so nice things about their cablecard and it not being able to play well with others.
    Pass.

I have read issues about Tuning Adapters rebooting
    Probably true, but I can't speak to details.
    Do you know that you'll need a TA? Use of SDV varies from provider to provider and area to area...

...and/or not being able to record/play certain channels especially the pay channels. Can anyone confirm this?
    With a CableCARD you can't get video on demand (VOD) or any other service/channel that requires two-way communication between the tuner and the cable headend.
    You'll almost certainly find some channels can't be viewed or recorded unless you use WMC. That restriction will apply to any channel that is flagged as "copy once". MediaPortal (and NPVR, Sage, MythTV etc. etc. etc.) can only access "copy freely" (maybe encrypted, but not restricted) channels; WMC can access "copy freely" and "copy once" channels. Exactly how channels are flagged varies from provider to provider and area to area. For some providers/areas all channels except locals are flagged as "copy once"; for others only a handful of premium channels (eg. HBO, ShowTime etc.) are "copy once". No way of knowing unless you can get the information directly from Cox or somebody else in your area (which is not so likely on this forum).

Consider switching to a more PC/CableCARD friendly provider like Verizon or Comcast.
    http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-02/the-best-worst-cable-companies-for-tivo-owners/

2. I am also unclear on this copy-once designation.
    My advice to you is don't buy a CableCARD tuner until you do understand what it means. Plenty of other forums explain it better than I ever could.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information

I have read that Cox has the copy-once restriction and I do not understand exactly what this means.
    As above. It isn't [usually] a "blanket" restriction for all areas or all channels.

Currently, I record to the one PC that acts as a server. I watch my recorded shows as direct file streams from another PC and through 3 WDTVLive media servers. Would this copy-once restriction allow me to stream?
    No. With copy once you'd only be able to view/record with WMC. You can also view on WMC extenders (eg. XBOX 360, Ceton Echo... but NOT XBOX One)... though if you "upgrade" to W8/8.1 you can only do that with MS extenders (ie. XBOX 360 and NOT Ceton Echo).
    Copy once recordings are tied to the install you record them with. You can't transfer them to and watch them on other PCs or devices. If you do a clean install of Windows, recordings are no longer watchable. Windows upgrades are usually okay.

In short, copy once is the devil.

Would I be able to copy the .ts file to a thumb drive?
    If a channel/recording is copy once you won't be able to view or record it with MediaPortal. Period.
    With WMC you can view and record. You'd get a WTV file, not a TS file. You wouldn't be able to convert the WTV file to any other format. Nor would you be able to play it on your WDTV Live servers or other PCs. Only WMC on the PC you record it on, or WMC extenders connected to that PC.

Considered switching providers? ;)

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom